The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Chemistry (York) student studying/procrastinating, ask me anything about chem@york

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InadequateJusticex
No of course not, I wouldn't classify chemistry as an easy degree anywhere (except maybe the likes of london met if they even offer chemistry...), but perhaps it's not as difficult as the other top universities.But what the hell do I know, I'm a Bristol chemist not a York chemist. Saying that, I wish chem at Bristol was easier, I'm so desperate for a first so you're luckier in that respect :frown:
I'm sure you aren't intentionally being a knob but nonetheless you are belittling mine and other peoples degree.Given many academic sources and university rankings systems (e.g. Complete university guide and the guardian) consider Yorks chemistry department to be better than Bristol's it very much implies you are wrong in your belief that our degree is "easier" and more implies it is a reflection on your own ability.Chemistry is hard and achieving a first is hard but to say a degree is easier because some people get firsts is ridiculous.None the less should you find yourself in York I, and I'm sure the other posters, will happily take you on a chemistry challenge :P
(edited 8 years ago)
University of York
York
Original post by Chemistree76
I'm sure you aren't intentionally being a knob but nonetheless you are belittling mine and other peoples degree.Given many academic sources and university rankings systems (e.g. Complete university guide and the guardian) consider Yorks chemistry department to be better than Bristol's it very much implies you are wrong in your belief that our degree is "easier" and more implies it is a reflection on your own ability.Chemistry is hard and achieving a first is hard but to say a degree is easier because some people get firsts is ridiculous.None the less should you find yourself in York I, and I'm sure the other posters, will happily take you on a chemistry challenge :P

Haha, I'm not. You should know by now that league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt and just because York ranks higher than Bristol doesn't mean your course is harder than ours. And our research (REF) is actually better than York's, which arguably is quite important for chemistry. Also if York was so much better than Bristol like you claim it to be, why did Clayden move to our department...?

A good friend of mine has a twin who does Chemistry at York and they had a look at each other's papers in first year and he even said your exams are easier. I'm not belittling York, it is what it is. Also, it's kind of a big red flag when you don't even need Maths to get in! That says a lot about the pace they teach you maths. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a nob, but I'm just laying down the facts. It does not detract from the fact that York is a good university and I'd have been happy to go there if I didn't get into Bristol, but to say it is better than Bristol is a bit silly.

Edit: Also, having played around with CUG, the only reason why Bristol ranks lower than York is because our graduate prospects are slightly lower and our student satisfaction is low...Courses that are more difficult generally have lower student satisfactions (i.e. Economics at Bath, Engineering at many top unis, etc) so you need to understand the context behind these scores as opposed to saying 'Oh my god York ranks higher than Bristol in the CUG by 2, therefore it must be a harder course!'

Also I literally can't believe you're using Guardian as a source...They are the Donald Trump of league tables. This league table ranks Sussex above Oxford ffs. If you don't think this is a red flag, then I'm worried for you. (Sussex is not bad, but if you think Sussex is even close to York/Bristol, let alone Oxford, I have nothing to say to you).
(edited 8 years ago)
The fact you've compared first year papers is irrelevant (and not a fair representation of the difficulty of our course by any means). Your friend will still themselves with their work cut out in future years in order to get a good grade unless they're a genius and even then they'll maybe find some things hard, like learning other skills; teamwork, group projects etc. That's probably why the student satisfaction and employability are higher as we do a lot more than just learn chemistry in our degree I feel and we enjoy our degree, though it's hard work.

I feel the only one who really cares about the league tables here is you as quite frankly I picked the place based on my gut feeling at the open day, the friendliness and welcoming nature of the department staff and students and the course, which looked really good- well rounded but allowing me to do options in the areas I'm interested in and want to work in in the future.

Oh and the point about A level maths- they're looking to make that compulsory in the future seeing as so many have it these days already, which would mean they can toughen up the maths content, but as the entry is what it is currently it is still challenging but not enough to put people off. Because they want to get people interested in chemistry to study chemistry.

I think you're missing the point. You could go on about Bristol for ages but this is a thread about York. We chose York because we wanted to come here - if we'd wanted to go to Bristol we'd have chosen it. But that doesn't make our degrees worth any less for the work we've put into them. The constant pointing out differences isn't really relevant here, it's just making us feel like you're saying our degrees are worthless and easy because they're not exactly the same as your degree, which is making you sound a bit of a nob as mentioned before.
Haha, I'm not. You should know by now that league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt and just because York ranks higher than Bristol doesn't mean your course is harder than ours. And our research (REF) is actually better than York's, which arguably is quite important for chemistry. Also if York was so much better than Bristol like you claim it to be, why did Clayden move to our department...?

A good friend of mine has a twin who does Chemistry at York and they had a look at each other's papers in first year and he even said your exams are easier. I'm not belittling York, it is what it is. Also, it's kind of a big red flag when you don't even need Maths to get in! That says a lot about the pace they teach you maths. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a nob, but I'm just laying down the facts. It does not detract from the fact that York is a good university and I'd have been happy to go there if I didn't get into Bristol, but to say it is better than Bristol is a bit silly.

Edit: Also, having played around with CUG, the only reason why Bristol ranks lower than York is because our graduate prospects are slightly lower and our student satisfaction is low...Courses that are more difficult generally have lower student satisfactions (i.e. Economics at Bath, Engineering at many top unis, etc) so you need to understand the context behind these scores as opposed to saying 'Oh my god York ranks higher than Bristol in the CUG by 2, therefore it must be a harder course!'

Also I literally can't believe you're using Guardian as a source...They are the Donald Trump of league tables. This league table ranks Sussex above Oxford ffs. If you don't think this is a red flag, then I'm worried for you. (Sussex is not bad, but if you think Sussex is even close to York/Bristol, let alone Oxford, I have nothing to say to you).

I am aware league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt, and whilst Surrey as top did give some red flags the league tables are not entirely a work of fiction, merely bizarre use of statistics, they have some basis in the reputations of the department.

The fact we don't need maths A Level does say something about the initial pace we teach maths, although as I hope you are aware maths for chemists can be taught as such it says nothing about the difficulty of maths later in the course or indeed the difficulty of the course as a whole.

Your comment on exam papers was explained earlier as another forum member explicitly stated that our first year may be a little easier to aid the transition to the new style of teaching, learning and living at university. Once again this gives no reflection on the difficulty of the later degree. If anything the graduate prospects score should say more about the calibre of graduates produced.

I am not saying York is superior to Bristol, from what I have seen about both departments they are very much on a par, it is merely your implication that we do not have to work for a first and that Bristol is superior with no real evidence that is really quite arrogant. My offer of a chemistry challenge still stands
I am aware league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt, and whilst Surrey as top did give some red flags the league tables are not entirely a work of fiction, merely bizarre use of statistics, they have some basis in the reputations of the department.

The fact we don't need maths A Level does say something about the initial pace we teach maths, although as I hope you are aware maths for chemists can be taught as such it says nothing about the difficulty of maths later in the course or indeed the difficulty of the course as a whole.

Your comment on exam papers was explained earlier as another forum member explicitly stated that our first year may be a little easier to aid the transition to the new style of teaching, learning and living at university. Once again this gives no reflection on the difficulty of the later degree. If anything the graduate prospects score should say more about the calibre of graduates produced.

I am not saying York is superior to Bristol, from what I have seen about both departments they are very much on a par, it is merely your implication that we do not have to work for a first and that Bristol is superior with no real evidence that is really quite arrogant. My offer of a chemistry challenge still stands

Lol, wtf? I didn't imply that you didn't need to work for a first at York... It is your fault for misunderstanding my post. I merely said that, from the information given, that the chemistry course at York (for first year) is easier, not easy. It is the same as saying the chemistry course at Bristol is easier than the course at Oxford; it doesn't necessarily mean the course here is easy. It is all relative. A chemistry degree is bloody hard. As a third year, I bloody well know that.

Also, graduate prospects do not necessarily equate to the calibre of graduates produced - that's a rather silly statement to make. So you're saying the quality of Bradford graduates are of a higher calibre than Cambridge? (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Graduate+Prospects&s=Chemistry)
Bear in mind graduate prospects do not take into account the destination of graduates...So all students of a particular university could end up working full time in retail and still get 100%..
(edited 8 years ago)
That says more about York's course as opposed to a Chemistry degree in general. No offense, but the content you listed for first year was significantly below the level we did in first year in Bristol so don't be quick to imply a chemistry degree is easy.

Yeah I was away to say... At Edinburgh if you came in having only done GCSE maths you would not have had a chance. Most everyone had an A in advanced higher/A level. What year are you at Bristol?
Original post by langlitz
Yeah I was away to say... At Edinburgh if you came in having only done GCSE maths you would not have had a chance. Most everyone had an A in advanced higher/A level. What year are you at Bristol?

Isn't the first year of Scottish university courses inbetween A levels and the first year of an English university though? AFAIK you have one extra year for some reason. Unless you did direct entry to second year :tongue: I'm currently a third year :smile:
But what the hell do I know, I'm a Bristol chemist not a York chemist. Saying that, I wish chem at Bristol was easier, I'm so desperate for a first so you're luckier in that respect :frown:

It is that quote that is arrogant and implies you believe you have a "superior" degree. First year was the year discussed, yet you as a third year seem to have extended that to the whole degree.

A-Level standard maths can be taught and is taught at the university. Hence we don't need it as a formal entry requirement (admittedly about 80% of people do but that is irrelevant)
It is that quote that is arrogant and implies you believe you have a "superior" degree. First year was the year discussed, yet you as a third year seem to have extended that to the whole degree.

A-Level standard maths can be taught and is taught at the university. Hence we don't need it as a formal entry requirement (admittedly about 80% of people do but that is irrelevant)

Even fenton95 agrees that there is a high possibility that York's first year is 'slightly' easier than other similarly ranked universities. That's someone from your own department, mind you...Then there's also my friend's twin so that's already two people against you. The jump to second year is hard everywhere, so it doesn't really mean anything.

Anyway this is really petty so I suggest we stop here
(edited 8 years ago)
Even fenton95 agrees that there is a high possibility that York's first year is 'slightly' easier than other similarly ranked universities. That's someone from your own department, mind you...Then there's also my friend's twin so that's already two people against you. The jump to second year is hard everywhere, so it doesn't really mean anything.

Anyway this is really petty so I suggest we stop here

Hmm, don't ignore my earlier message, take my quote from way back when I was trying to be considerate and balanced in my responses then try to use it against a different point I'm arguing for! I said that it's possible (as having not sat other unis first years how would I know exactly) but that's my own experience, that doesn't mean it's that across the board by any means. The jump from there on in is relevant if you're commenting on the entire degree. I happen to agree with the others on here purely saying that your initial comment belittled our entire degrees- after all, first year doesn't count! So no matter if it is or isn't easier in the grand scheme of grades.

I will, however, agree that this is pretty pointless now, as you don't seem to get our issue with what you said. But regardless, let this be the end of it, I hope your third year is suitably challenging as mine is!
We should all probably stop procrastinating and go back to working for our not easy degrees haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Can someone delete this thread, I got bored, made a silly post, for any excited furture students, and it attracted and argument over who is at the tougher university? What senselessnes. Yea i'm guilty of some badly chosen, not fully explained use of the certain words, but oh well. This is not helping a sngle person.
Reply 31
Original post by FailingChemist
Can someone delete this thread, I got bored, made a silly post, for any excited furture students, and it attracted and argument over who is at the tougher university? What senselessnes. Yea i'm guilty of some badly chosen, not fully explained use of the certain words, but oh well. This is not helping a sngle person.

Aside from the lottle argument :tongue:, I found this thread really useful. If all goes to plan I should be at York in 2016 to study Chemistry, it all just looked so dreamy :daydreaming:
Reply 32
***Ignore what I said earlier peole, ask anyhing you want, I'll be on in the evening after a good be of studying to chat or whatever***

I'm currently making up for my laziness in Term 2, more studying and catch up to do that I theoretically have time for, but, I'll be fine

I thought I'd be positive with my bouts of procrastination, any future students, or potential ones, ask me anything specific to chemistry here, I can even give some tips for what to watch out for like our villainous NMR Lecturer. And just anything really.

I'm hoping to do chemistry at university, i was wondering if you could tell me what sort of extra/super curricular activities you took part in to gain a place at York(well done BTW).
Original post by Jassy16
I'm hoping to do chemistry at university, i was wondering if you could tell me what sort of extra/super curricular activities you took part in to gain a place at York(well done BTW).

I'm a bit of a unique case, I was a mature student (in years) had 2 year of experience in industry and I suppose had a good personal statement. My 2A level at D*D* equivalenet BTEC barely touched on chemistry but I suppose it was proof to them I could read and write at an approproate level.

I think I got accepted purely on their assumption i learnt chemistry at the pharmacetuical company I was with.

But they weren't wrong to let me in, I'm not the worst student, and am not actually failing. Its probaly been said so many times, but for this department, once you get your interview, turning up gets you your offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KaylaB
Aside from the lottle argument :tongue:, I found this thread really useful. If all goes to plan I should be at York in 2016 to study Chemistry, it all just looked so dreamy :daydreaming:

Haha, York Campus has a 'look' to it, you learn to love it I suppose, but the chemistry building/layout it really is one of the best. And you will never have to feel the pain of the overflow room.
What persuaded/inspired you to take Chemistry? What did you take for A Levels?
Reply 36
Haha, York Campus has a 'look' to it, you learn to love it I suppose, but the chemistry building/layout it really is one of the best. And you will never have to feel the pain of the overflow room.

Yeah when I went to the interview I got a brief tour, but what's the overflow room?:colondollar:
Original post by KaylaB
Yeah when I went to the interview I got a brief tour, but what's the overflow room?:colondollar:

The reasons chemists hated the biochemists (slight exageraton), we used to have all of our lectures in CA101 I think it is, and for some topics the Biochemists shared some of those lectures with us and maxed out the 250 seating limit. Those of us not early enough would have to go to this tiny room and watch the whole things on a projector that sometimes didn't always work.

Now we just have these bigger shared lectures over in Derwent College.

Also, you'll want to be a good notetaker some of the lecturers just love the blackboard and do not put everything online.
Reply 38
The reasons chemists hated the biochemists (slight exageraton), we used to have all of our lectures in CA101 I think it is, and for some topics the Biochemists shared some of those lectures with us and maxed out the 250 seating limit. Those of us not early enough would have to go to this tiny room and watch the whole things on a projector that sometimes didn't always work.

Now we just have these bigger shared lectures over in Derwent College.

Also, you'll want to be a good notetaker some of the lecturers just love the blackboard and do not put everything online.

Those darn biochemists :shakecane:

Would you say it's better to handwrite the notes in the lecture or type it? Also, I heard that some lectures and that are put online but do many lecturers permit the use of dictaphones, I spoke to a second year student when I went for my inteeview and he said it'd be worth inventing in one.
Original post by KaylaB
Those darn biochemists :shakecane:

Would you say it's better to handwrite the notes in the lecture or type it? Also, I heard that some lectures and that are put online but do many lecturers permit the use of dictaphones, I spoke to a second year student when I went for my inteeview and he said it'd be worth inventing in one.

Handwriting just makes that connetion to your brain typing doesn't, but do what you can at the time to get it all. Most lecturers are used to stdents recording devices, and most lecturers ahev theirs recorded anyway for you.

Just make sure you tidy up those notes and make sense of them, dont leave the until revision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending