The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Best College at the University of York?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AubreyJ
Im a respectful young woman yet has bant and life sucked out ofme from being at the Uni of York. I'm a first year at Halifax college and canhonestly say ive spent the majority of this year trying to invent a time machine to go back in time and not come to York Uni. Regardless of the fact that I may study at a top uni in the york i still envy all the York st johns students! If student life doesnt bother you and all you want to do isstudy and sit in your room all a alone with a house full of anti social people then be my guest and embark on a very boring degree at York. Any other advice feel free to message me...

P.s if you are determined to go to york but still want an onceof fun then i would advice going to Derwent college never halifax or james oranything on Hes east.
University of York
York
Reply 21
Original post by yellowkoala98
Hi I have an offer from York for History, I am thinking of applying for accommodation for Alcuin college because it is near the History department. Any thoughts about the college ????

Alcuin has no life what so ever, if that is you're cup of tea then go ahead. if you want a college with more life then i would advice going to Derwent but the accomodation is a **** tbh. Have a look at eden court
Original post by AubreyJ
Im a respectful young woman yet has bant and life sucked out ofme from being at the Uni of York. I'm a first year at Halifax college and canhonestly say ive spent the majority of this year trying to invent a timemachine to go back in time and not come to York Uni. Regardless of the factthat I may study at a top uni in the york i still envy all the York st johnsstudents! If student life doesnt bother you and all you want to do isstudy and sit in your room all a alone with a house full of anti social peoplethen be my guest and embark on a very boring degree at York. Any other advice feel free to message me... P.s if you are determined to go to york but still want an onceof fun then i would advice going to Derwent college never halifax or james oranything on Hes east.

I really want to go to york but this has worried me!!
Original post by LucyH123
I really want to go to york but this has worried me!!

This person is completely wrong about York... clearly they got a really unlucky house in halifax college and then didn't make any friends outside of their own house...
Reply 24
Original post by jonnynoctu
This person is completely wrong about York... clearly they got a really unlucky house in halifax college and then didn't make any friends outside of their own house...

Actually yes you're correct my house is a bit dull however, I have made plenty of friends outside of my house as I am a very outgoing person. However, If anyone is looking for a lively student life York isn't the place compared to other city such as Manchester, Birmingham or Leeds York is extremely dull.
Reply 25
I wouldn't recommended york uni to anyone that is looking for a outgoing lively student life.
Hmmm I have to rather disagree, uni is what you make of it....if you're looking for somewhere that people go out every night then there'll probably be some people like that, and there'll be people that don't go out to clubs, but that doesn't make them boring! York has a varied social scene and it caters for all: those that class clubbing as a night out or those that class a pub crawl, cocktail bars or just going to watch a film in town too. I live near Manchester and have always felt intimidated by the vastness of it in terms of going out; sure, York doesn't have the same nightlife as these places, but it has enough to keep you interested. FYI I enjoy going out but keep a nice balance. My current housemates don't go out but I have other friends I go clubbing with (met through courses/ societies) and my housemates and I enjoy a night in town just going round pubs and stuff.

In first year I lived in Alcuin college and shock horror, people in my flat actually had lives! I know we all seem a non-existent bunch but Alcuin isn't as quiet as people make out. Regardless, uni is what you make of it and you'll be able to find a bunch of friends that enjoy the same social life as you no matter what you fancy :smile:
University is fundamentally what you make of it. Ultimately pretty much every uni has every scene, you'll just have to look harder for certain scenes at university. If you want something a bit more laid back and varied than dissolving your septum with drugs and clubbing every night, whilst still going clubbing fairly often then York is a far better place to go than many others.

You get the feeling many people chose York because of the variety. A society social, a pub crawl or a night in all the 365 bars in York. If the tedium of clubbing every night still appeals then you you can find a scene in York, it is merely easier in somewhere like Newcastle or Manchester

On the college note up the Langwith
Reply 28
Maybe I should reword my post - Anyone reading this thread and is looking for a student life that people go out clubbing and like to drunk a couple of times a week, I wouldn't choose the Uni of York.
Original post by AubreyJ
Maybe I should reword my post - Anyone reading this thread and is looking for a student life that people go out clubbing and like to drunk a couple of times a week, I wouldn't choose the Uni of York.

People who want that kind of student life 24/7 probably aren't reading this post though, people who like a drink a few times a week and go out once a week or so could well be...If you want some degree and employability prospects with your outgoing student life its not a bad choice!

Again, that's my opinion. Alcohol is a major factor in my degree....
Reply 30
Ok lol enjoy York ........ you've been warned.
We get it. You don't like York because you can't spend your £9000 year at uni partying with fellow party goers. Here's a suggestion, why don't you stop feeling so butthurt about your second-rate social life and use the money you spent to take advantage of the excellent resources York has to offer and actually STUDY?
Original post by AubreyJ
Reply 32
Original post by virgojade6
We get it. You don't like York because you can't spend your £9000 year at uni partying with fellow party goers. Here's a suggestion, why don't you stop feeling so butthurt about your second-rate social life and use the money you spent to take advantage of the excellent resources York has to offer and actually STUDY?

Work hard play hard .. ever heard of that? .. Obviously I study or i wouldn't have got to Uni of York to start of with. and I don't understand why everyone's getting so annoyed, Im entitled to my own opinion.
Original post by AubreyJ
Work hard play hard .. ever heard of that? .. Obviously I study or i wouldn't have got to Uni of York to start of with. and I don't understand why everyone's getting so annoyed, Im entitled to my own opinion.
I am not disputing your previous study habits. However, you sound more like someone who had bad luck with flatmates. Happens at every university, not just York.
Original post by virgojade6
I am not disputing your previous study habits. However, you sound more like someone who had bad luck with flatmates. Happens at every university, not just York.

Anyone know the best college in james? x
Reply 35
Original post by WJM321
I'm studying law at york at the moment mate, in my first year on hes east and honestly the best advice i took when applying for accom last year was to try get on east campus. The students i know that study on hes east that live on west wish they'd done the same, there's loads of law students living on east, and when you've got a couple hours between lectures you end up sitting about if you live on west because its pointless getting the bus back to your room whereas on east you can nip home and cook something whenever. social life is similar on both, would recommend langwith out of the 3 on east but all of them are really nice. let me know if you've got any more questions I'm happy to let you know what i think of things :smile:

Can I ask you more about law in particular, maybe through PM? Most likely going there and would like some details, if you don't mind
Reply 36
Original post by AubreyJ

I'm reassured :smile:
Reply 37
Opinions on Constantine?????????
Reply 38
Original post by AubreyJ

Why did you say James is anti social too? I put Derwent as my first choice but James is second. Looks like the only good college is Derwent haha.
Original post by Adrono
Why did you say James is anti social too? I put Derwent as my first choice but James is second. Looks like the only good college is Derwent haha.

She is chatting out of her behind...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending