The Student Room Group

A level Literature question

How often do you all read per week (on average) for the course?
Tbh I don't read every week. For OCR there are about 5 books, 3 are done in year one. I tend to read it all in one go and make summaries per chapter or scene etc.
Original post by Anonymous061299
How often do you all read per week (on average) for the course?

I just read all my texts at the beginning of the year, probably re-read it very soon after that and then I will just read over scenes whenever I am revising.

I will give my texts another read these holidays, but I certainly don't spend all my time reading. Of course, I do do a lot of critical reading on my texts, but that stuff I find fun so it doesn't tend to matter.

It's certainly not something that should get you worried.
Original post by Unorganisedaf
Tbh I don't read every week. For OCR there are about 5 books, 3 are done in year one. I tend to read it all in one go and make summaries per chapter or scene etc.

Thanks, I'm looking at taking it for A level in September but I'm not the fastest reader, but thankfully that sounds do-able :-)
Original post by kingaaran
I just read all my texts at the beginning of the year, probably re-read it very soon after that and then I will just read over scenes whenever I am revising.

I will give my texts another read these holidays, but I certainly don't spend all my time reading. Of course, I do do a lot of critical reading on my texts, but that stuff I find fun so it doesn't tend to matter.

It's certainly not something that should get you worried.

Thanks, that's great advice about reading it all and re reading parts :-)
I read two of the books for the course but that was it; one took a couple of days and the other a couple of hours.
Original post by ByronicHero
I read two of the books for the course but that was it; one took a couple of days and the other a couple of hours.

Ahh that's a relief haha
Ahh that's a relief haha

At most you may have to read 4 or 5 books over the span of the course and even if you are a slow reader you can finish any of them very comfortably in a weekend. People exaggerate how much reading is necessary for English literature at that level.
Original post by ByronicHero
At most you may have to read 4 or 5 books over the span of the course and even if you are a slow reader you can finish any of them very comfortably in a weekend. People exaggerate how much reading is necessary for English literature at that level.

Yeah I've heard a few people say "it's loads of work" and "you have to read loads" but it doesn't sound too bad now, thanks again :-)
Thanks, I'm looking at taking it for A level in September but I'm not the fastest reader, but thankfully that sounds do-able :-)

For the new spec that you will be studying, if you opt for the whole A-level, you will read 8 texts over the 2 years years.

For a novel, the average reading is around 3 minutes per a page (quoted from one of my lit lecturers at uni). So you shouldn't be too worried.

Even if you are a slow reader, you just have to be organised. And one of the skills that I picked up was how to read faster at A-level because you need that skill for the exam. So don't worry!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
For the new spec that you will be studying, if you opt for the whole A-level, you will read 8 texts over the 2 years years.

For a novel, the average reading is around 3 minutes per a page (quoted from one of my lit lecturers at uni). So you shouldn't be too worried.

Even if you are a slow reader, you just have to be organised. And one of the skills that I picked up was how to read faster at A-level because you need that skill for the exam. So don't worry!

Ahh thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending