The Student Room Group

Converting from Auto license to Manual

I passed my test in an automatic three years ago and ive been taking lessons in a manual and my test is booked for the end of this month - Just wondering if anybody has already done this and did the test differ at all? My driving instructor has never had a pupil go from auto to manual so hes not sure if ill be doing the full test or a watered down version :biggrin:
the full test... nothing will be different
Reply 2
thats what im worried about lol it took me 3 times to pass in an auto and im still not an overly confident driver , im ok with clutch controls etc but the reversing and parking is going to let me down :/
Interesting indeed. The test I'm sure will be the same. But surely, if you've had so long to get used to the roads and get that "sixth sense" you get from driving naturally, a driving test should be a walk in the park as long as you just follow the rules, and know the car.

Remember, you can't lose your licence if you fail. You just end up where you started - with a full auto licence. Not the end of the world!
How long did it take you to learn manual? I've learned auto and I'm happy at the moment but can see myself wanting a manual license in the future e.g. if I ever needed to drive my parents' car.
Original post by Sparkliest
How long did it take you to learn manual? I've learned auto and I'm happy at the moment but can see myself wanting a manual license in the future e.g. if I ever needed to drive my parents' car.

To get moving? 10 minutes. To get good enough? Less than an afternoon.
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
To get moving? 10 minutes. To get good enough? Less than an afternoon.

Oh how what's incredible! May have to enquire about some lessons over the summer.
Reply 7
I wish I was a natural manual driver , I've been taking lessons from January and my test is booked for Friday I'm feeling so stressed about it , my taking off , stopping and gears is all fine but my reverse around corner and parallel parking is horrible . It will be a miracle if I pass ! 😞
Original post by cat2280
I wish I was a natural manual driver , I've been taking lessons from January and my test is booked for Friday I'm feeling so stressed about it , my taking off , stopping and gears is all fine but my reverse around corner and parallel parking is horrible . It will be a miracle if I pass ! 😞

The manouvers are barely different. If you can't do them in a manual, chances are you wont be able to do them in an automatic either.
Reply 9
Ive already passed in an automatic taking the test to upgrade to manual, been driving auto for three years lol i just struggle with the whole keeping it test distance (so far from kerb) its not something i practicsed in my years of driving :biggrin: fingers crossed i get the three point turn on friday or reverse bay park , i can do those fine :biggrin:
Original post by cat2201
thats what im worried about lol it took me 3 times to pass in an auto and im still not an overly confident driver , im ok with clutch controls etc but the reversing and parking is going to let me down :/

It'll be down to your instructor to make sure you've got all these things down by the time your test comes.
Original post by cat2280
Ive already passed in an automatic taking the test to upgrade to manual, been driving auto for three years lol i just struggle with the whole keeping it test distance (so far from kerb) its not something i practicsed in my years of driving :biggrin: fingers crossed i get the three point turn on friday or reverse bay park , i can do those fine :biggrin:

I got them backwards. I meant if you can't do them in a auto you wont be able to do them in a manual either.

Good luck for friday.
Reply 12
I got them backwards. I meant if you can't do them in a auto you wont be able to do them in a manual either.

Good luck for friday.

thank you, i did pass in my automatic test with the reverse around the corner but it was a bit hit and miss i think he was being nice lol
Reply 13
todays the day, ill be leaving in 15 minutes - im so scared im going to fail, i know ill have my auto license but its the whole expense of taking it again :/
Reply 14
Failed 7 minors and a serious for not down gearing on a country road bend I was in 4th should have been 3rd . I'm gutted
Original post by cat2280
Failed 7 minors and a serious for not down gearing on a country road bend I was in 4th should have been 3rd . I'm gutted

:console:
I don't see why that was a serious, unless you was travelling too fast.

What were the minors for?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
:console:
I don't see why that was a serious, unless you was travelling too fast.

What were the minors for?

Serious because I came round to fast and ended up slightly in the other lane he said that if another car had been driving at same time I might have hit it .Minors for riding clutch, poor signalling and a control for reverse around corner

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending