The Student Room Group

Google's banned interview questions- what would you say?

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/how-many-googles-banned-interview-questions-can-you-answer

I saw this this morning and weirdly I think I'd find a lot of those questions easier to answer than standard interview ones! I'd imagine they'd be quite offputting if you'd just walked into your first job interview though... What would you say?

Scroll to see replies

Manhole covers are round? I have two counterexamples.
Original post by furryface12
http://www.iflscience.com/technology/how-many-googles-banned-interview-questions-can-you-answer

I saw this this morning and weirdly I think I'd find a lot of those questions easier to answer than standard interview ones! I'd imagine they'd be quite offputting if you'd just walked into your first job interview though... What would you say?

I think I'd cry and leave… these are so difficult!
wtf is a manhole

if i was asked such stupid questions i probably wouldnt take it seriously and give back stupid responses. stupid questions get stupid answers.

considering the jobs i apply for as well (part-time retail) i'd walk out, £6-7 is not worth that kind of ridiculous interview process.
My answer for all these questions would be: can I google it?
Because these questions highlight the need and importance of Google!:biggrin:
I hope they accept that or I am screwed!
Circle manholes take up less area and still allow passage of people and therefore are lighter and easier to move? Whats complicated about that.
Original post by FabulouslyAwks

omg THIS IS SO CLEVER!
Reply 7
Why would these questions tell you anything of value? They are all just trivial amusements with no practical purpose.
Original post by whorace
Why would these questions tell you anything of value? They are all just trivial amusements with no practical purpose.

It shows outside the box thinking and novel ways to solve problems.
Reply 9
Original post by FabulouslyAwks

You really are fabulous :lol:

I really want to know the answers to these questions though :unimpressed:

Wish I hadn't read the article..
Original post by Bernie2016
Circle manholes take up less area and still allow passage of people and therefore are lighter and easier to move? Whats complicated about that.

Wrong answer.

They are round as a round cover cannot fall into its own hole and cause injury or damage whereas a rectangular cover can.
Original post by iEthan
I think I'd cry and leave… these are so difficult!

Tbf that'd be me normally- these I can apply some logic too, if they asked me my greatest achievement or something I'd be like uhhhh... :afraid:

Original post by whorace

I'd guess to see how people respond to a something unexpected and go about solving problems, and something they've probably never thought about before? Similar to the Oxbridge ones :dontknow:

Oddly enough that's the one I'd have been most stuck on! Seems so simple now you say it :redface: good bloke's answer probably better though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Kashmir Skirt
It shows outside the box thinking and novel ways to solve problems.

Considering most decisions are not made within a short interview it seems nothing more than a quick assessment of base cognitive skill which would change depending on one's mood and just the time of day. It tells you very little
Original post by furryface12

Oddly enough that's the one I'd have been most stuck on! Seems so simple now you say it :I

But the answer he gave was incorrect. See my post above.
Original post by whorace

I think the one about manhole covers is of vital importance, with practical application in everyday life.
Reply 15

I was thinking it was because if you had a square manhole cover, placed it on its side and turned it 45 degrees it would fall through the hole, whereas a circle would never fall through because it's diameter is always the same regardless of its position
Original post by iEthan
omg THIS IS SO CLEVER!

Yo I am a genius! Jk, thanks :biggrin:

Original post by Nettled
You really are fabulous :lol:

I really want to know the answers to these questions though :unimpressed:

Wish I hadn't read the article..

Aw thanks :biggrin:, same I really want to know as well :frown:
Original post by Good bloke
But the answer he gave was incorrect. See my post above.

Yeah I edited it once I saw your answer, that makes a lot of sense actually.

Another one that got me (I feel like in missing the point of this somewhere!)- what is the significance of 'dead beef?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got the hotel one, but that's only because I played a game of Monopoly last night and the 3 words 'hotel', 'fortune' and 'car' appearing in the same sentence allowed me to connect the dots :biggrin:
Original post by JW22
I was thinking it was because if you had a square manhole cover, placed it on its side and turned it 45 degrees it would fall through the hole, whereas a circle would never fall through because it's diameter is always the same regardless of its position

I dont really think there is a solid answer but im sure this is a good enough reason nice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending