The Student Room Group

study medicine in italy

I plan to do medicine and will start medical school in 2017. I was looking at EU schools offering medicine in English. Milan was recommended in other forums as well. there are 2 universities that come up in Milan- Humanitas and the international med school. Are they the same ? Any recommendations as to which is better ? I am an EU citizen. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hi! The International Medical School is part of the public University of Milan. Humanitas is a private university. I'm at the IMS. I can't speak for Humanitas, but I can tell you that the IMS program is really quite excellent!
Thanks Erik, was looking thru the forums on TSR, do you have a blog/ facebook page , if so how can i access it ?
Hi!

I instead am at the fifth year of International MD Program at San Raffaele (milan) and I suggest you consider our school too! My experience was amazing, really personalized and of top quality.. IMDP is inside the San Raffaele Hospital which is the top research hospital in Italy (scores given by independent judges)

http://www.medicine.unisr.it/view.asp?id=11 here you find the contacts if u want to know more

Hope this helps

Marco
Hi natashasinghal, you can find my blog at http://www.medschool.it/medschools-italy/ims-milan/.
Reply 5
Is there any agent in UK who can able to help for Italy medicine admission?
Hm. Good question. You might want to contact Cambridge Assessment, who writes the IMAT, if you have questions about medical admissions to the Italian programs.
Hi, For medical graduates from outside Ireland ( even if from within the EU) it is very difficult to secure an internship post. Without completing an internship one cannot be registered with the medical council in ireland. My question is, do the medical schools in Italy ( milan) allow you to complete the internship in Italy, hence become eligible for registration with the medical council in Italy. Ince registered in Italy, it is possible to get registered with the irish medical council as part of the EU directive. I do not know what the sItuation is in UK. Perhaps someone can let me know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi natashasinghal, yes, after the English med programs, you can do your internship and residency in Italy. The degree and internship are recognized by convention throughout the EU and affiliated states (like Norway, Switzerland, etc.).
Thanks for the superquick reply. For a non Italian speaking person, how easy is it to do an Internship in Italy ? Also, are the intern posts competitive ( i.e is the application process centralized and posts given on a first come plus academic achievement during med course , as in Ireland ) or is the intern post given as a default i.e it is part of the degree programme and everyone has to compulsorily do it unless they specifically opt out to do an internship elsewhere. Thx.
Original post by natashasinghal
Thanks for the superquick reply. For a non Italian speaking person, how easy is it to do an Internship in Italy ? Also, are the intern posts competitive ( i.e is the application process centralized and posts given on a first come plus academic achievement during med course , as in Ireland ) or is the intern post given as a default i.e it is part of the degree programme and everyone has to compulsorily do it unless they specifically opt out to do an internship elsewhere. Thx.

No problem! For internship (3 months), it is not competitive, and part of the degree programme. For residency, it is. You take a national-ranking examination, and depending on your score, you are placed in a residency based on personal preferences. I've heard that currently, about 65% of applicants in Italy get a residency the first time they take the exam, although that number is increasing (there was formerly a glut of medical graduates). Those graduates that do not get a residency usually work for a year or two as a substitute general practitioner or assitant doctor in a clinic/hospital.

If you don't speak Italian, you cannot pass the exam, and thus cannot get a residency. If you do an English med school in Italy, however, you are required to learn Italian at at least a B2 level by year 2 (and most graduates are C2).
So does that mean that the internship is only of a 3 month duration( in Ireland and UK it is for a year) ? And does this qualify you to be registered with italian medical council ? Because if you are not registered with the italian medical council ( ie are deemed to have completed the basic medical degree and eligible to take up a medical post) This may prove to be a hurdle for someone trying to register with the council in Ireland, because they look for internships with a 1 year duration , unless of course someone is registered in an EU medical council , then cannot create problems in registeration.
Yes -- in Italy it is 3 months. (I believe this is because of the clinical content of the Italian medical school curriculum.) It does qualify you to be registered, and you can work as a medical doctor after this, as well as the medical qualifying examinations. In fact, people who have inquired about going to the UK after graduation from an Italian school have found that they may be able to move right into the 2nd year of UK residency.
Was looking at posts re IMAt, I was planning to get A level books to start looking at the subjects. Someone had remarked that there are otherconcise books thatcover the subjects. Any recommendations. The Irish syllabus is very different from the UK one. thanks
Hey there! I was looking at my options of studying medicine in the EU and University of Milan stood out to me as well! I am aware that you have to do the IMAT exam, I know that the date for this year's exam is 14th September, but my question is, for 2016 entry into med school, would I be taking this IMAT test or should I have taken the one in September 2015? Thanks again
Original post by thei11usionist
Hey there! I was looking at my options of studying medicine in the EU and University of Milan stood out to me as well! I am aware that you have to do the IMAT exam, I know that the date for this year's exam is 14th September, but my question is, for 2016 entry into med school, would I be taking this IMAT test or should I have taken the one in September 2015? Thanks again

Hi! Good choice. The University of Milan really is excellent. For 2016 entry, you would take the September 14, 2016 IMAT. School will start at the end of October.
Original post by ErikCampano
Hi! Good choice. The University of Milan really is excellent. For 2016 entry, you would take the September 14, 2016 IMAT. School will start at the end of October.

Hi Erik, I read on the medschool.it website that if the date for the IMAT stays as 14th of September and not in April then University of Milan may not consider admissions into the course (starting October)if you do the Sept. IMAT? Is this true?
Hi thei11usionist, that's not true. That was a false press report followed by a mistranslation. The university rector says officially that there will "probably" be admissions this year, and very soon the university will have a final confirmation.
Original post by ErikCampano
Hi thei11usionist, that's not true. That was a false press report followed by a mistranslation. The university rector says officially that there will "probably" be admissions this year, and very soon the university will have a final confirmation.

Thanks Erik, please can you post on this thread when any confirmation about admissions for this October are confirmed if thats not a problem :smile:
Original post by thei11usionist
Thanks Erik, please can you post on this thread when any confirmation about admissions for this October are confirmed if thats not a problem :smile:

Yes, sure, absolutely :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending