The Student Room Group

Medicine

i want to do medicine at university but i currently have no work experience, no job and what grades do i need at gcse to get accepted into medicine
From your scrambled sentence, I could only make out one question. I'd definitely work on that before you begin writing your personal statement.

And in terms of GCSEs, it depends on the university. But you would need As in Maths, the Sciences and probably English as well. And nothing below a couple Bs to be safe, I guess.
Original post by BristolFresher15
From your scrambled sentence, I could only make out one question. I'd definitely work on that before you begin writing your personal statement.

And in terms of GCSEs, it depends on the university. But you would need As in Maths, the Sciences and probably English as well. And nothing below a couple Bs to be safe, I guess.

sorry for the scrambles sentence, i was meant to also ask that would it be better if i had a paying job or work experience in a medical environment?
Original post by stressedout123
sorry for the scrambles sentence, i was meant to also ask that would it be better if i had a paying job or work experience in a medical environment?

Work/volunteering experience in several medical settings is crucial. Along with other experiences that require leadership, compassion, teamwork and other similar traits.
Try and get at least two weeks worth of work experience: could be in a hospital, with GPs or in a care home.
GCSEs wise, aim as high as possible, and that way you won't limit which medical schools you can go to! Definitely univerisites ask for A's in maths, English lang.
Also maybe think about regular volunteering.. Im in year 12 and looking to do medicine and apparently about a year's worth of regular volunteering is definitely a positive to put on your personal statement for when you apply to universities.
You can still get a regular job as well as doing all of the above..just make sure you manage your time well! And Don't sacrifice your grades for your job. Good on you for choosing medicine though - be warned and research into it...it may be a lot more work than you've bargained for, but go for it!
Original post by stressedout123
i want to do medicine at university but i currently have no work experience, no job and what grades do i need at gcse to get accepted into medicine

Hi there,

It's great that you want to study Medicine at university. In general, although most medical schools specify that applicants need at least Bs in Maths and English GCSEs, most students will have achieved higher. This means that you want to aim for as many A*s and As as possible to ensure that you can compete with other applicants.

If you want to find out what universities required for the 2015/2016 applicant cycle re GCSE / A level grades, use our Medical School comparison table. It lists the entry criteria for the UK med schools.

For work experience, get started with some applications to organisations now! Since you haven't mentioned A levels in your original post, is it safe to assume that you are pre-A levels? If this is the case, you have plenty of time to get valuable work experience under your belt.

There are four main types of work experience you can do:
1. Hospital placements
2. GP placements
3. Volunteering placements
4. International placements

Check out this page on our website, and follow the links on it to learn more about how to get work experience, what qualifies as work experience, and how long you should do it for!

Make sure that once you've successfully got work experience that you keep a diary, jotting down what you saw so that when it comes to interview and personal statement, you are able to reflect on your experiences.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending