The Student Room Group

Can alcohol / dehydration result in joint pain?

A few years ago I tore the cartilage in my right hip which resulted in a labral tear with early osteoarthritis (with no surgery option unfortunately). Then a year ago I had pain around my kneecap in the same leg. After strengthening my glutes the pain went away in my knee, the physio said that was the cause of the problem (so I assume it's related to the labral tear).

Every now and then I get a little bit of hip / knee pain from weight training in the gym, but nothing too bad.

But I had 3 pretty heavy nights out over the weekend for my birthday, and I woke up after the 3rd night out with pain in my right hip and my knee. The knee pain feels just like what I had a year ago and have now had it for around 36 hours.

I cannot understand where the pain has come from, as I haven't trained my legs in about a week! All I can think of is that the alcohol and dehydration has caused some inflammation in my joints?
Reply 1
Original post by daveysmith19882
A few years ago I tore the cartilage in my right hip which resulted in a labral tear with early osteoarthritis (with no surgery option unfortunately). Then a year ago I had pain around my kneecap in the same leg. After strengthening my glutes the pain went away in my knee, the physio said that was the cause of the problem (so I assume it's related to the labral tear).

Every now and then I get a little bit of hip / knee pain from weight training in the gym, but nothing too bad.

But I had 3 pretty heavy nights out over the weekend for my birthday, and I woke up after the 3rd night out with pain in my right hip and my knee. The knee pain feels just like what I had a year ago and have now had it for around 36 hours.

I cannot understand where the pain has come from, as I haven't trained my legs in about a week! All I can think of is that the alcohol and dehydration has caused some inflammation in my joints?

Dehydration can lead to joint aches and pains and is pretty common after drinking just as hangovers are. Given your history i'd say it's possible you've strained the past injury site too. Just walking around loads can cause strain and paired with dehydration could probably cause a fair amount of discomfort. It is also possible you injured it slightly during one of your drinking sessions and didn't notice or remember.
I'd usually just take some painkillers, drink loads of water and eat something. Given your history i'd keep an eye and if you find it getting worse, not improving over a couple of days, not responding to painkillers or significantly painful (rather than just sore) to put wight on go see your doc or a walk in clinic. You could also call 111, go to a pharmacy or visit your doc anyway if you want to.

You may also want to look into the pain you get while training. You may be able to alter your exercise plan to build up more resiliance in your legs again. Try talking to a doc or trainer.
Original post by Kindred
Dehydration can lead to joint aches and pains and is pretty common after drinking just as hangovers are. Given your history i'd say it's possible you've strained the past injury site too. Just walking around loads can cause strain and paired with dehydration could probably cause a fair amount of discomfort. It is also possible you injured it slightly during one of your drinking sessions and didn't notice or remember.
I'd usually just take some painkillers, drink loads of water and eat something. Given your history i'd keep an eye and if you find it getting worse, not improving over a couple of days, not responding to painkillers or significantly painful (rather than just sore) to put wight on go see your doc or a walk in clinic. You could also call 111, go to a pharmacy or visit your doc anyway if you want to.

You may also want to look into the pain you get while training. You may be able to alter your exercise plan to build up more resiliance in your legs again. Try talking to a doc or trainer.

Thank you! That all sounds about right. I had some painkillers earlier which made the pain seem pretty much none-existent, so I'll give them another go. The pain is quite bearable in my everyday life but I'm pretty sure it's telling me it doesn't want me to train my legs just yet.

I'll see how things go over the next couple days then
Reply 3
Original post by daveysmith19882
Thank you! That all sounds about right. I had some painkillers earlier which made the pain seem pretty much none-existent, so I'll give them another go. The pain is quite bearable in my everyday life but I'm pretty sure it's telling me it doesn't want me to train my legs just yet.

I'll see how things go over the next couple days then

Things like swimming and yoga are meant to be good for rehabilitation after injury I think (they don't put as much preassure on it).
Glad the pain isn't too bad now.

Quick Reply

Latest