The Student Room Group

What top sets were you in school?

Scroll to see replies

them all :colone:

Spoiler

Original post by caitlinford3
Really?

'cos neither of my parents went to university and I still ended up in all top sets, they judged ours from our SAT's and year 7 baseline tests

Good for you, your school sounds more fair than others. But then again, it is all relative. Perhaps you are from the area in which your state school is located, wherein there are few university graduates in general. In areas like Beaconsfield where the middle class is extensive you can see a sharp divide between working class and the middle class vis-a-vis the sets in state schools.

It is just sad, very sad.
Original post by William Pitt
Good for you, your school sounds more fair than others. But then again, it is all relative. Perhaps you are from the area in which your state school is located, wherein there are few university graduates in general. In areas like Beaconsfield where the middle class is extensive you can see a sharp divide between working class and the middle class vis-a-vis the sets in state schools.

It is just sad, very sad.

That is sad
I've pretty much been in the top set for everything so far - maths and English in primary school then maths and French. I guess we don't really have many sets because everyone is around the same standard (I go to a grammar school)
Believe it or not, there'll come a time when no-one cares about your experience of school, and nor will you.
Reply 45
I got kicked out doesn't that tell you enough?
We had pretty unusual sets for the subjects- I have been in top set in (ready for this? :biggrin: )

English
Maths
Science [But not physics, biology or chemistry- set 2 for those :redface:]
French
German
Latin
Classics
Drama [And theatrical studies, which for some reason, we had as a COMPLETELY different thing]
Geography [But this year they've mixed the sets and I'm in set 8 :dontknow:]

And somehow, I was top set in art,- ART- even though I could barely draw a circle. So instead for my Year 9 art exam I did a square with a bit of shading in the corners and got A* for it...
Really?

'cos neither of my parents went to university and I still ended up in all top sets, they judged ours from our SAT's and year 7 baseline tests

That's how ours was done, based on our SAT scores and our overall progress. We had to do entry tests though to define FOR DEFINITE where we were in the sets.

At least, I did because I joined in Year 9 :redface:
Reply 48
None.
All of them...but its not much of an achievement tbh... I'm not smart... everyone around me was just stupid :/ Even now... Not smart.. just....people are just stupid.
Original post by Moura
all of them... top set was generally the same group of people in every subject with a couple of exceptions being stronger in certain subjects over others...

Same in my school. I was in all the top sets and all the classes were practically the same, especially Science and Maths. By the end of GCSE I had forgotten that most of the people outside of top set were even in my school as I had so little interaction with them, plus most of my friends were in all the top sets too.
My school only has tops set maths, which I am in :h:
Really?

my teacher said that coming from a poor background/low socio-economic standing etc would have 'boosted' some students up to higher sets. Basically my school makes adjustments for peoples background as coming from a poor background means that students would often be underachieving and may have the same ability as someone achieving higher who came from a more affluent background.

edit: i think this might have been for target grades not sets i can't remember tbh
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by TeenPolyglot
We had pretty unusual sets for the subjects- I have been in top set in (ready for this? :biggrin: )

English
Maths
Science [But not physics, biology or chemistry- set 2 for those :redface:]
French
German
Latin
Classics
Drama [And theatrical studies, which for some reason, we had as a COMPLETELY different thing]
Geography [But this year they've mixed the sets and I'm in set 8 :dontknow:]

And somehow, I was top set in art,- ART- even though I could barely draw a circle. So instead for my Year 9 art exam I did a square with a bit of shading in the corners and got A* for it...

I'm not doubting you for a sec but how can you be in top set for science but not physics, biology or chemistry? What other science is there?
That's how ours was done, based on our SAT scores and our overall progress. We had to do entry tests though to define FOR DEFINITE where we were in the sets.

At least, I did because I joined in Year 9 :redface:

yeah ours too!

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
my teacher said that coming from a poor background/low socio-economic standing etc would have 'boosted' some students up to higher sets. Basically my school makes adjustments for peoples background as coming from a poor background means that students would often be underachieving and may have the same ability as someone achieving higher who came from a more affluent background.

edit: i think this might have been for target grades not sets i can't remember tbh

I don't see the point in it, I think kids should be put in sets based on their academic ability, no matter what their background is, and then give all the kids in lower sets extra support, not just those who are in lower sets from a poor background because there are a lot of kids who are in lower sets even though they come from high income families because their parents work a lot and don't have the time to support them properly. It's all kinda sad, I'm thankful I was raised with parents who'd always help me with homework and read to me when I was younger
Original post by Thomb
I'm not doubting you for a sec but how can you be in top set for science but not physics, biology or chemistry? What other science is there?

I'm talking over my school life-
In 'science' in Year 9, I was in top set, but in Physics, Biology and Chemistry, I was in set 2 :smile:

And to be fair, they taught linguistics at my old school...
Reply 56
I'm talking over my school life-
In 'science' in Year 9, I was in top set, but in Physics, Biology and Chemistry, I was in set 2 :smile:

And to be fair, they taught linguistics at my old school...

What do you mean linguistics? :redface:
Original post by Thomb
What do you mean linguistics? :redface:

I mean:

the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. Specific branches of linguistics include sociolinguistics, dialectology, psycholinguistics, computational linguistics, comparative linguistics, and structural linguistics.

More or less, our teachers gave us an hour of really relaxing lessons where we'd read David Crystal books and draw semantic networks, or learn about etymology.
They always came before or after Latin lessons, interestingly.

[I decided to do linguistics instead of horseriding :tongue:]
Reply 58
Top sets maths science and humanities but never English I was set 3 for that. There are four sets for each subject 1-4. Was also in G&T (Gifted and Talented)

1 was the higher set for intelligent people
2 and 3 were practically the same and middle sets for people of normal intillegence
4 was the lowest or worst set

When I done my maths sat 2 years ago, I had level 6a😎
English i have never been good at
Science I am amazing at (especially chemistry)
Humanities I have always been good at, know lots of geographical stuff
(edited 8 years ago)
Year 7
Set 3 English
Set 2 Maths
Set 2 Science
Set 3 PE

Year 8
The same
Set 2 Spanish

Year 9
Set 2 English