The Student Room Group

I'm 23 but I don't see myself as a mature student

Hi!
So I'll be 24 when I start uni in September, and if you're over 21 you're considered a mature student.
However, I don't feel 'mature'...I still want to go out partying with the younger students.
Anyone else in their early 20s starting uni this year? Or did? Please can you share your experiences?
Thanks X

Scroll to see replies

You arent really and youll be so close to the age of the others after a few months it will barely register. mature for me would be 540-70, but really ages is irrelevant in most things. Loads of post grads and other later starters.
Original post by Miss.O
Hi!
So I'll be 24 when I start uni in September, and if you're over 21 you're considered a mature student.
However, I don't feel 'mature'...I still want to go out partying with the younger students.
Anyone else in their early 20s starting uni this year? Or did? Please can you share your experiences?
Thanks X

My flatmates for first year were all in their 20s (between 21 and 28), and were just as likely to go out and enjoy themelves as much as the school leavers. I honestly think that age is only an issue if you make it one, frankly.

The people who raise an eyebrow at the prospect of someone being over 18 and going to university will either get over it, or leave you be (and wouldn't be worth your time anyway).
I think if you were in your 30s some of the 18 year old freshers might feel awkward going out with you, but at 24 there's really nothing to worry about. :smile:
Original post by Miss.O
Hi!
Thanks X

PFFF I remember in my first year I started at 19 and some people in my halls were 25-30 it mad zero difference to how we socialized and that... Most of the time I didn't even notice that someone was more than 5 years older and even if it was noticeable I didn't think twice about it, you'll be fine!

but if you really wanna get over the 'mature student' brand then I recommend you do something really immature once a week such as:

-Steal a traffic cone
-Run around naked
-Set off a fire alarm in the halls
-Joust in a shopping trolley

these are just of the top of my head I'm sure you can think of more
Original post by Miss.O
I don't feel 'mature'

As a 27 year old man-child starting uni this year I completely agree.:smile:
Original post by Miss.O
Hi!

Only for administrative purposes, mainly SFE, because older people tend to come from a more complex range of financial and domestic backgrounds.

Original post by Miss.O

Behave how you want, you don't have 'mature student - too old to party' tattooed anywhere obvious! It's a box you tick on a form, not a lifestyle.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the term now applies to people who are aged 25+, not 21+.

I only say that because I was 22 when I started at Warwick for my second undergrad and they told me I wasn't considered a "mature student" and was ineligible for whatever it was I was wanting to apply for (I forget now... probably money >.<).

It does get tiresome sometimes being around 18 year-old naifs when they think they know everything/try to teach you to suck eggs, but you have to take a breath, remind yourself that this is their first time and humour them!

Above all, don't be *that student* that makes their age an isolating factor. If you don't talk down to your fresher friends or try to lord it over them, chances are they'll promptly forget the age difference. People always forget I'm 25 (although it helps that I can apparently pass for 27...)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
Only for administrative purposes, mainly SFE, because older people tend to come from a more complex range of financial and domestic backgrounds.

Behave how you want, you don't have 'mature student - too old to party' tattooed anywhere obvious! It's a box you tick on a form, not a lifestyle.

Yeah its 25 for SFE.
Reply 9
Original post by Miss.O
Hi!
Thanks X

I'm in more or less the same situation as you, being 23 and 24 by the time I start.

I enjoy going out sometimes, but I'm not an all-nighter kind of guy. That being said, I do have anxieties about how my age might make me look at uni, as all of us probably do. At the very least, I'm at University to experience what University has to offer, so how I fair reflects rather more on my attitude than on anyone elses.

I'll be ok if I'm friendly and I make an effort, as will you I expect.
Original post by Cpt. Josh
I totally agree, 540-year-olds are so mature.

Awesome a typo. The irony was I found you some accounts, but nvm, thought your name looked familar.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Greatleysteg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the term now applies to people who are aged 25+, not 21+.

I only say that because I was 22 when I started at Warwick for my second undergrad and they told me I wasn't considered a "mature student" and was ineligible for whatever it was I was wanting to apply for (I forget now... probably money >.<:wink:.

It does get tiresome sometimes being around 18 year-old naifs when they think they know everything/try to teach you to suck eggs, but you have to take a breath, remind yourself that this is their first time and humour them!

Above all, don't be *that student* that makes their age an isolating factor. If you don't talk down to your fresher friends or try to lord it over them, chances are they'll promptly forget the age difference. People always forget I'm 25 (although it helps that I can apparently pass for 27...)

How on earth can you afford to fund a second degree? Isn't it like £18000 a year for a second degree?
Original post by Miss.O
Hi!
Thanks X

Im in the same position ... Going to be 24 when I start uni ... Which one are you going to and what course ??
Reply 13
Original post by littlemissmaya
Im in the same position ... Going to be 24 when I start uni ... Which one are you going to and what course ??

NTU studying Education Studies and Early Years. What about you?
Reply 14
I'm in my 30s and at Manchester uni doing a BSc. No-one cares about your age. It's fine.
Reply 15
Original post by Cpt. Josh
I totally agree, 540-year-olds are so mature.

You'd be surprised... some of those people have no shame, I mean it, NON!
Original post by JPO92
I'm in more or less the same situation as you, being 23 and 24 by the time I start.

I enjoy going out sometimes, but I'm not an all-nighter kind of guy. That being said, I do have anxieties about how my age might make me look at uni, as all of us probably do. At the very least, I'm at University to experience what University has to offer, so how I fair reflects rather more on my attitude than on anyone elses.

I'll be ok if I'm friendly and I make an effort, as will you I expect.

Im exactly the same as you age and preferences to going out. Where are you going to study and have you decided to stay in halls yet?
Reply 17
Original post by nomad992
Im exactly the same as you age and preferences to going out. Where are you going to study and have you decided to stay in halls yet?

I'm studying at York, grades willing. I'll be staying in halls, I feel like house sharing is a form of social suicide at university, so I'll be doing it to feel more integrated hopefully.
24 is not old!!! I've seen 40+ year olds dancing at freshers!! (although that might be a crazy lecturer :wink: )
Reply 19
Original post by nomad992

NTU and I'm staying in halls 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending