The Student Room Group

How would you deal with a random guy if he approaches you out of the blue

And wants to get to know you?
This guy is a phd student from my uni and wants to befriend me, however I have no interest in him but don't know how to reject him? I'm a nice person and I don't know how to be blunt when put on the spot, which is irritating!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just tell him your not interested
Reply 2
Original post by mkap
just tell him your not interested

I wish it was that simple. Some men don't take no for an answer and insist that they want to be just "friends"
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I wish it was that simple. Some men don't take no for an answer and insist that they want to be just "friends"

yeah igy, tell him you have a possessive boyfriend.
Just tell him. You'll hurt him more if you lead him on.
He's had the courage to approach you (it's really not easy, I've done it before) so let him down gently. Just tell him that it was a nice gesture but that you're not interested in him. Then apologise (i would anyway).
If you can't tell him, maybe write a note or get one of your friends to tell him. I can't think of any other way tbh.
Hope this helps.
I was in this situation but I was the guy. I approached my crush and we chatted after she agreed to get to know me.
A week later she wouldn't talk to me and sped off away from me. It sucked that she couldn't be honest with me. But that's life I guess.
Hope it doesn't go too badly.
Reply 5
Original post by mkap

Lol don't, if that gets back to your boyfriend or spread around it's not exactly a good idea. Guess it depends how big the university is

Say that you aren't interested and if he says 'I want us to be friends' then be like 'well I don't, bye'. If he's that insistent then being rude doesn't matter.
Reply 7
Original post by mkap

LOL I don't like to lie..having a possessive boyfriend sounds crazy.

Lol. Just because they insist on it doesn't mean it's happening. Put your foot down.
Reply 9
Original post by whorace
Lol don't, if that gets back to your boyfriend or spread around it's not exactly a good idea. Guess it depends how big the university is

thats true, scratch that idea
Original post by Kel_Med
Tell him you're looking for something serious

He did sound serious, he's a FOB and it put me off how he barely saw me and was asking me qs like what my name is and what I study...just off putting
Don't be too worried about being rude or blunt just get on with it.
Reply 12

you dont want to lie...and you dont want to tell him the truth....

You don't like to lie. You don't know how to be blunt. You have alot to learn, it's probably easier then you think. Its better to get it over and done with instead of overthinking it.
Reply 14
Does he even want to date you? It's not exactly unheard of for a student to be interested in another students work... I talked to Phd students a lot, didn't want to sleep with most of them.

So ****ing what? You don't owe him your friendship either.
Original post by mkap
you dont want to lie...and you dont want to tell him the truth....

Hahaha *high fives*

Just literally said the same thing
Original post by mkap

HAHA! Lol, thats probably what my bestie says when men approach him!
Original post by FireFreezer77
Just tell him. You'll hurt him more if you lead him on.
He's had the courage to approach you (it's really not easy, I've done it before) so let him down gently. Just tell him that it was a nice gesture but that you're not interested in him. Then apologise (i would anyway).
If you can't tell him, maybe write a note or get one of your friends to tell him. I can't think of any other way tbh.
Hope this helps.
I was in this situation but I was the guy. I approached my crush and we chatted after she agreed to get to know me.
A week later she wouldn't talk to me and sped off away from me. It sucked that she couldn't be honest with me. But that's life I guess.
Hope it doesn't go too badly.

The thing is I was walking up and he came right on my face! It's not like it was a crush. It came off as desperate. I gave him my name and he found me on my uni email and messaged me, i just can't bring myself up to reject someone..it gets overwhelming!
And wants to get to know you?
This guy is a phd student from my uni and wants to befriend me, however I have no interest in him but don't know how to reject him? I'm a nice person and I don't know how to be blunt when put on the spot, which is irritating!

Be rude and Blunt if you need to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending