The Student Room Group

Guys, how would you feel if your girlfriend had depression?

Hey :smile:
So...long story short, my boyfriend broke up with me a few weeks ago based on a bunch of reasons that were all the result of the fact I have depression. I guess he just wasn't able to cope with it, and I mean...I don't blame him, it's just scary because I'm worried that no other guy is going to like me because of the way I am.
I'm probably coming across as super depressed, I know...but it's not like that at all. Most of the time I'm fine, I'm happy, but other times I'm really down over nothing, and when that happens it gets reallllll bad. I was going through a particularly rough patch at one point during our relationship, and he told me to open up to him. When I did, he kinda just got angry at me.

I really really loved him so that sucked, but it just scares me because if he broke up with me for reasons I couldn't help, are other guys going to do that to me to? It's not like I want to be this way, and I am working on getting better, I just can't help but feel like rather than getting angry at me, it would of helped us both if he was just a little more supportive, and there for me when I needed him y'know? I was always there for him when he had trouble at home, so yeah...it just sucks aha.

So I just wanted to ask what you guys think about that situation: If your girlfriend had depression, and was going through a rough patch, what would you do?
(edited 8 years ago)
OP, I have really severe depression and my boyfriend is sticking by me through it. Just because one person was an ******** about your illness, doesn't mean everyone is! You'll find someone who loves you for you and who is willing to stick by you throughout good and bad times. If he broke up with you just because you're ill, you deserve someone a million times better anyway!
Consider it a blessing. You deserve someone who will stick by you through thick and thin :smile:
Reply 3
I wouldn't refuse to date someone with depression (have dated someone who had depression in the past) but the moment you start taking out on me i'm gone, unless we're married or something.
Original post by whorace
I wouldn't refuse to date someone with depression (have dated someone who had depression in the past) but the moment you start taking out on me i'm gone, unless we're married or something.

Yeah, I understand that, I never ever took it out on him, tbh I always tried to keep it to myself because I didn't want to be a burden on others. The irony is when he had stuff going on at home, all he ever did was take it out on me, which sucked aha :smile:
Original post by georgiaswift
OP, I have really severe depression and my boyfriend is sticking by me through it. Just because one person was an ******** about your illness, doesn't mean everyone is! You'll find someone who loves you for you and who is willing to stick by you throughout good and bad times. If he broke up with you just because you're ill, you deserve someone a million times better anyway!

This:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xMiakatx
So...long story short, my boyfriend broke up with me a few weeks ago based on the fact I have depression. I guess he just wasn't able to cope with it, and I mean...I don't blame him, it's just scary because I'm worried that no other guy is going to like me because of the way I am.
I'm probably coming across as super depressed, I know...but it's not like that at all. Most of the time I'm fine, I'm happy, but other times I'm really down over nothing, and when that happens it gets reallllll bad. I was going through a particularly rough patch at one point during our relationship, and he told me to open up to him. When I did, he got angry at me. When he broke up with me, he blamed it all on my depression.
I really really loved him so that sucked, but it just scares me because if he broke up with me for having depression, are other guys going to do that to me to? It's not like I want to be this way, and I am working on getting better, I just can't help but feel like rather than getting angry at me, it would of helped us both if he was just a little more supportive, and there for me when I needed him y'know? I was always there for him when he had trouble at home, so yeah...it just sucks aha.

So I just wanted to ask what you guys think about that situation: If your girlfriend had depression, and was going through a rough patch, what would you do?

In that situation it is best to ditch the girl
Depressed

On a more serious note, the whole idea of a relationship is through thick and thin isn't it? If he left you cause you were suffering depression, a medical condition, he's a bit of an arse. Most guys aren't like that. I'd hope not anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by georgiaswift

It's good to hear that there are people like your partner out there, that gives me hope haha. It was just a tough situation to be in and I guess if it ended up like this then we just weren't meant to be, as much as I thought we were ^^ But thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by xMiakatx
So...long story short, my boyfriend broke up with me a few weeks ago based on the fact I have depression. I guess he just wasn't able to cope with it, and I mean...I don't blame him, it's just scary because I'm worried that no other guy is going to like me because of the way I am.
I'm probably coming across as super depressed, I know...but it's not like that at all. Most of the time I'm fine, I'm happy, but other times I'm really down over nothing, and when that happens it gets reallllll bad. I was going through a particularly rough patch at one point during our relationship, and he told me to open up to him. When I did, he got angry at me. When he broke up with me, he blamed it all on my depression.
I really really loved him so that sucked, but it just scares me because if he broke up with me for having depression, are other guys going to do that to me to? It's not like I want to be this way, and I am working on getting better, I just can't help but feel like rather than getting angry at me, it would of helped us both if he was just a little more supportive, and there for me when I needed him y'know? I was always there for him when he had trouble at home, so yeah...it just sucks aha.

I'd help her through and comfort her, take her for a walk and so on but never break-up with her because she's depressed. I think the guy just wasn't the one for you. (Or anyone)
Its just another factor. I'd wnat to be supportive and importantly make sure there were some steps taken into minimising the impact and then slowly working on a plan to get out of it. It cna be veru emotionally demanding and draining, but not something you cna ignore if you decide to be in a relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending