The Student Room Group

how should the school day be restructured?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonathanemptage
But in the real world work finishes at 5 pm or whatever if you want to prepare them for the real world then extend the day and abolish the home work

Posted from TSR Mobile

So long as you don't work in retail or on the floor of an investment bank professional life is so much more chilled out and relaxed than school, also your boss has to treat you with respect unless he wants to have his ass dragged into an industrial tribunal.
Original post by d1ck
Overall, I think school should start a few hours later.

nah I don't agree with this, alot of students need like support and some people struggle with self-motivation and procrastinate alot. I think it's necessary.

if people continuously still don't do work after repeatedly being sanctioned then yeah you can give up and just stop trying with them but I think the structure in place rn is necessary.

I disagree... if at the age of 17/18 you are still lacking the ability to get work done, not necessarily well before the deadline, but for the deadline, then something has gone wrong somewhere... Don't get me wrong, I get that people procrastinate... I'm in uni, and I still procrastinate, but if I don't do the work, I just get a 0... no punishment. I've left things to last minute and everything...

People need to learn to do more work independently, and leaving it till uni I think is too late imo. Some people will need help, but instead of just sitting people down and making them do something, we should be helping them get motivated to do it. Also, if they were more motivated to do the work, they'd probably do better in it than if they were just forced in a room to do it begrudgingly.
Reply 22
Original post by mobbsy91
I disagree... if at the age of 17/18 you are still lacking the ability to get work done, not necessarily well before the deadline, but for the deadline, then something has gone wrong somewhere... Don't get me wrong, I get that people procrastinate... I'm in uni, and I still procrastinate, but if I don't do the work, I just get a 0... no punishment. I've left things to last minute and everything...

People need to learn to do more work independently, and leaving it till uni I think is too late imo. Some people will need help, but instead of just sitting people down and making them do something, we should be helping them get motivated to do it. Also, if they were more motivated to do the work, they'd probably do better in it than if they were just forced in a room to do it begrudgingly.

I get you, maybe it's just me that needs to be literally forced to work lol.... or be in under serious pressure.
I think it's bad I need the support, but when I get it I get of the best grades in school so they don't complain lol. It does make me worry about uni though when no one will be checking up on me.

You're right though, independent working is vital: mostly sixth form is like that though, you have to do ALOT of extra work by yourself and basically an hour for every lesson outside of school. I just subject myself to the library all day at school I mean even during lunch recently because I know when I'm there there's nothing I can really do but work, I know that when I get home I will do f**k all.
Original post by d1ck
I get you, maybe it's just me that needs to be literally forced to work lol.... or be in under serious pressure.
I think it's bad I need the support, but when I get it I get of the best grades in school so they don't complain lol. It does make me worry about uni though when no one will be checking up on me.

You're right though, independent working is vital: mostly sixth form is like that though, you have to do ALOT of extra work by yourself and basically an hour for every lesson outside of school. I just subject myself to the library all day at school I mean even during lunch recently because I know when I'm there there's nothing I can really do but work, I know that when I get home I will do f**k all.

Haha, well, I usually manage to start my work, but then it dwindles with 75% to go, before the last night before the deadline, where I rush to finish it!

I think a big problem comes from not being educated about it early enough... if we were taught a good work ethic about doing work in good time, and motivation for doing it well, early on, then I think a lot of people would find it easier come Year 13, and uni...
Reply 24
Haha, well, I usually manage to start my work, but then it dwindles with 75% to go, before the last night before the deadline, where I rush to finish it!

I think a big problem comes from not being educated about it early enough... if we were taught a good work ethic about doing work in good time, and motivation for doing it well, early on, then I think a lot of people would find it easier come Year 13, and uni...

I leave like everything to last minute fml

I have been taught a good work ethic like I used to do my work as soon as I came home as a kid and even up to like year 9 dk what happened after that lol.
Ok regular hours are 9-5 for the most part and your splitting hairs.

Yea they are mostly for crap jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26

I agree for Year 11+, but 11-15-year-olds (and younger ones, obviously) need structure.
Original post by paul514
Yea they are mostly for crap jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile

where I work most people are on 9-5 and thats in an engineering firm where I work and an electronic engineer.

I supported actually paying kids a wage for going to school (like £3 p/h) But i now can't see how we'd fund it.
(edited 8 years ago)
where I work most people are on 9-5 and thats in an engineering firm where I work and an electronic engineer.

Good for you, what's your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Good for you, what's your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That not all 9-5 jobs are crap as you said.
That not all 9-5 jobs are crap as you said.

I didn't say that learn to read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I didn't say that learn to read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can read thank you very much.
I can read thank you very much.

Obviously not

Posted from TSR Mobile
you see those words on the screen and me responding the indicates i actually can read cupcake
you see those words on the screen and me responding the indicates i actually can read cupcake

Then why can't you tell the difference between most and all?

Derp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Derp? it seemed from your tone that you meant all.
Derp? it seemed from your tone that you meant all.

If I meant all I would have said all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
If I meant all I would have said all

Posted from TSR Mobile

well evidently you have made that clear now.
well evidently you have made that clear now.

And it was clear then too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending