The Student Room Group

Revision

I've made a revision plan for the past two weeks (Easter) yet I've hardly been able to tackle it because I always feel so exhausted and my mind just goes completely blank and nothing goes in to my head when I do past papers or read through text books. Consequently, I end up doing work mindlessly and procrastinating through most of it.
Reply 1
Original post by t211056789
I've made a revision plan for the past two weeks (Easter) yet I've hardly been able to tackle it because I always feel so exhausted and my mind just goes completely blank and nothing goes in to my head when I do past papers or read through text books. Consequently, I end up doing work mindlessly and procrastinating through most of it.

What's your sleeping schedule like and are you eating breakfast & drinking a lot of water - this + being more active should help with the exhaustion.

Don't feel you have to devote and stick to the plan like glue ~ even if you just do 30 minutes in a day that's still something.

Have you considered exploring other revision methods? e.g. mindmaps/rewriting notes/teaching someone/online quizzes/online videos/revision books etc. Maybe you can find a method that might excite you more?

Block out all distractions and potentially consider trying something like the pomodoro method for this (you work solidly 25 minutes, then 5 minute break - but 20 minutes then 10 minute break might be easier).

I think tackling your exhaustion must come first though and there must be some reason why you always feel that way.
Reply 2
Original post by Inexorably
What's your sleeping schedule like and are you eating breakfast & drinking a lot of water - this + being more active should help with the exhaustion.

Don't feel you have to devote and stick to the plan like glue ~ even if you just do 30 minutes in a day that's still something.

Have you considered exploring other revision methods? e.g. mindmaps/rewriting notes/teaching someone/online quizzes/online videos/revision books etc. Maybe you can find a method that might excite you more?

Block out all distractions and potentially consider trying something like the pomodoro method for this (you work solidly 25 minutes, then 5 minute break - but 20 minutes then 10 minute break might be easier).

I think tackling your exhaustion must come first though and there must be some reason why you always feel that way.

Thanks for taking the time to reply-

I usually get between 6-8 hours sleep per night, I also run for a hobby. I make countless mindmaps etc yet the information never seems to stick. I also find it hard to engage with my revision when doing it - I even find it hard to get started. I really struggle to get in to that study mindset when it is the holidays for some reason. I like the sound of pomodoro - I will give that a go tomorrow,

Thanks
Reply 3
Thanks for taking the time to reply-

I usually get between 6-8 hours sleep per night, I also run for a hobby. I make countless mindmaps etc yet the information never seems to stick. I also find it hard to engage with my revision when doing it - I even find it hard to get started. I really struggle to get in to that study mindset when it is the holidays for some reason. I like the sound of pomodoro - I will give that a go tomorrow,

Thanks

Do you eat breakfast? I know that has a major effect on my energy levels.

Try another technique instead of mindmaps - find out if you might find it easier to gain information via listening to someone else, or by associating key terms with images, or by teaching someone else etc.

It's hard to engage into the mindset when you don't feel up to it, I agree. But you have to remind yourself what it's all for and just try to find the tiniest section of revision to focus on , even for only a brief period.
Reply 4
Original post by Inexorably
Do you eat breakfast? I know that has a major effect on my energy levels.

Try another technique instead of mindmaps - find out if you might find it easier to gain information via listening to someone else, or by associating key terms with images, or by teaching someone else etc.

It's hard to engage into the mindset when you don't feel up to it, I agree. But you have to remind yourself what it's all for and just try to find the tiniest section of revision to focus on , even for only a brief period.

I eat breakfast everyday, I do try but the success of that effort is only temporary. I just need to keep going at it in the hope that I will eventually be able to get into that particular mindset consistently.
Reply 5
I eat breakfast everyday, I do try but the success of that effort is only temporary. I just need to keep going at it in the hope that I will eventually be able to get into that particular mindset consistently.

Ah I see, I find it very bizarre that you're exhausted then. Perhaps the stress/worry about the revision is making you feel that way?

And yes that's very true :smile: If you get into the habit of doing the work you will find it just routine to sit down and do revision for the next month/two months.
Reply 6

I agree, getting a lot of information in your head in a several hours is exhausting and defiantly gets boring. I have a several questions for you to answer, they're as follows:

How long do you revise for?

Do you take breaks?

Do you get bored?

Have you tried new techniques?

This problem can be tackled, just take everything one step at a time. The usual answer for this question is to make revision more fun and less of a consistency of how you revise.
Reply 7
Original post by Drunq
I agree, getting a lot of information in your head in a several hours is exhausting and defiantly gets boring. I have a several questions for you to answer, they're as follows:

How long do you revise for?

Do you take breaks?

Do you get bored?

Have you tried new techniques?

This problem can be tackled, just take everything one step at a time. The usual answer for this question is to make revision more fun and less of a consistency of how you revise.

Typically, I revise within 3-5 hour windows, taking a 20 min break after 1.5 hours and an hour break after the 4th hour. I frequently find myself bored after 2-3 hours however the main issue is actually wanting to get started initially.
Reply 8
Typically, I revise within 3-5 hour windows, taking a 20 min break after 1.5 hours and an hour break after the 4th hour. I frequently find myself bored after 2-3 hours however the main issue is actually wanting to get started initially.

I think the problem is that you have lost interest and in importance lost motivation. You have to think again why you want to do well in these exams. I believe you already have the self discipline to revise, and that's really good. However I also believe you are revising in too long of periods, that's a personal opinion and may not apply to you.

Do you do repetitive revision? Or is it all on pen and paper. Have you tried making it more interesting; a more physical approach? By this I mean, not doing revision on a piece of pen and paper, maybe by computer, or a white board? Sticking notes on a wall and linking them all together; like a project. Or even different places each time?
Reply 9
Original post by Drunq
I think the problem is that you have lost interest and in importance lost motivation. You have to think again why you want to do well in these exams. I believe you already have the self discipline to revise, and that's really good. However I also believe you are revising in too long of periods, that's a personal opinion and may not apply to you.

Do you do repetitive revision? Or is it all on pen and paper. Have you tried making it more interesting; a more physical approach? By this I mean, not doing revision on a piece of pen and paper, maybe by computer, or a white board? Sticking notes on a wall and linking them all together; like a project. Or even different places each time?

It is always on pen and paper, I sometimes use colours but I find it very hit and miss. I am at the point now where I am willing to try anything as my exams (AS) are just over 6 weeks away. I like the sound of sticking notes on the wall this will help for my Geography case studies - I will try this over the next few days.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, it is very much appreciated.
MIND MAPS, MIND MAPS, MIND MAPS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It is always on pen and paper, I sometimes use colours but I find it very hit and miss. I am at the point now where I am willing to try anything as my exams (AS) are just over 6 weeks away. I like the sound of sticking notes on the wall this will help for my Geography case studies - I will try this over the next few days.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, it is very much appreciated.

It is very appreciated that you have replied to my messages in order i could give advise to help you.

Yes very tough period, exams 6 weeks away and revision is at its peak point. And sticking notes on the wall is very helpful, every time you wake up, go to bed, come in side your room, you don't need to open up any books, they're on the wall ready to use. I wish you luck on your journey to your success, and most importantly,

Good Luck.
Original post by Edminzodo
MIND MAPS, MIND MAPS, MIND MAPS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you use them?

Quick Reply

Latest