The Student Room Group

Enough for Oxbridge Economics? *UPDATED*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Youngmetro
As a guidance, that is what is good. I go to a top grammar school that have close connections with the unis and said that 7A*s are good enough.

Idk, my school is pretty up there and have contacts with an admissions officer (one even came to our school). I think what they really meant was 7A*s wont put you in a disadvantage.

Noone's saying 7A*s isn't good enough or will put you at a disadvantage
Your GCSEs won't hold you back, if you achieve those grades or close to. Take the A Levels you suggested, you'll need A*A*A or higher for Cambridge and A* in Maths is a condition for Economics at most top unis.

As for experience, I have a Cambridge offer and literally have no work relevant experience. Academics and interest are everything, both of which can be demonstrated through means other than work experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
As a guidance, that is what is good. I go to a top grammar school that have close connections with the unis and said that 7A*s are good enough.

You stated 7 A* at GCSE are needed. They aren't.

Some will have that. But most, actually, have less.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by felecita
Your GCSEs won't hold you back, if you achieve those grades or close to. Take the A Levels you suggested, you'll need A*AA or higher for Cambridge and A* in Maths is a condition for Economics at most top unis.

As for experience, I have a Cambridge offer and literally have no work relevant experience. Academics and interest are everything, both of which can be demonstrated through means other than work experience.

I believe Cambridge changed the non extenuating circumstances standard offer to A*A*A
Your GCSEs won't hold you back, if you achieve those grades or close to. Take the A Levels you suggested, you'll need A*AA or higher for Cambridge and A* in Maths is a condition for Economics at most top unis.

That's good to hear. Although Maths hasn't always been my strong point haha :s-smilie: should be achievable however.
Original post by Student403
I believe Cambridge changed the non extenuating circumstances standard offer to A*A*A

You're right :facepalm: I knew that too, oops. I'll edit it now, thanks!
Original post by TheAppleGeek111

I'm only 16 right now, but i started my own company at the age of 14, you can choose to believe it or not, I would appreciated if you did - sounds unbelievable I know, but bear with me. Anyways yes, I started with nothing to my name, built my company ground up, hired my friends along the way (eventually firing them once it was running automatically). And I'm at a position now as to where I am earning £10,000 or there about a month. I've paid my way through a few years of private education - I do quite feel proud of what I've done.

Whats your business
Reply 27
Original post by Richpeasant
I'm guessing he did that after his business became successful ?

Edit: Wasn't that the guy who sold it to yahoo?

Yes he sold to Yahoo, and they also gave him a full time role.

It was his decision to carry on with his education.
Original post by Daniel9998
Whats your business

Online, E-Commerce :smile:
That's good to hear. Although Maths hasn't always been my strong point haha :s-smilie: should be achievable however.

Economics at top unis is very maths heavy, if maths isn't your strong point then maybe you might want to reconsider. Not saying that you have to be brilliant (I'm far from amazing) but especially for Cambridge, LSE, etc. you'll want to be reasonably proficient at maths otherwise you'll just hate the course. You'll have a better idea once you start A-Levels. Though after all that, if you're planning to take FM then you're hardly bad. Good luck :smile:
Original post by jneill
You stated 7 A* at GCSE are needed. They aren't.

Many will have that. But most, actually, have fewer.

Yeah, go ahead and grill me over a small mistake that was pretty obvious to others.

And no, many have roughly 7, but not much less and many have more. That's what the admissions officer who visited my school said.
Online, E-Commerce :smile:

Nice, well done. Thats gonna look sexy on your application
Economics at top unis is very maths heavy, if maths isn't your strong point then maybe you might want to reconsider. Not saying that you have to be brilliant (I'm far from amazing) but especially for Cambridge, LSE, etc. you'll want to be reasonably proficient at maths otherwise you'll just hate the course. You'll have a better idea once you start A-Levels. Though after all that, if you're planning to take FM then you're hardly bad. Good luck :smile:

Oh, I wouldn't say I struggle at Maths, may be a little. But I think the problem lies within the fact that I just don't put the effort in (I think) haha.
Original post by Daniel9998
Nice, well done. Thats gonna look sexy on your application

Haha, thanks man!
Original post by Student403
Noone's saying 7A*s isn't good enough or will put you at a disadvantage

Yeah i realised now, but consider that we dont have AS anymore and GCSEs will inevitably be used as a greater measure of one's ability. That's why i thought 7A*s is ideal for Oxbridge :smile:

Thanks for not being so mean unlike that other moron
Original post by jneill
Yes he sold to Yahoo, and they also gave him a full time role.

It was his decision to carry on with his education.

Did he get his place largely due to his success with his company or did he have a history of excellent grades etc?
Reply 36
Yeah, go ahead and grill me over a small mistake that was pretty obvious to others.

And no, many have roughly 7, but not much less and many have more. That's what the admissions officer who visited my school said.

"Needed" has a very specific meaning. And using it perpuates the TSR myth about Oxford's reliance on GCSEs.

Here's something showing the average per course (and note that the average doesn't mean it's a requirement). Only two had 7 A* average. E&M (the course under discussion here, has 5.7)

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 23.22.56.jpg

Original post by Richpeasant
Did he get his place largely due to his success with his company or did he have a history of excellent grades etc?

I have no idea what his grades were but Oxford won't have admitted him without strong academics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh, I wouldn't say I struggle at Maths, may be a little. But I think the problem lies within the fact that I just don't put the effort in (I think) haha.

I can relate :lol: it's too early to say anything anyway, just work towards getting the best grades you can at the moment
Original post by jneill
"Needed" has a very specific meaning. And using it perpuates the TSR myth about Oxford's reliance on GCSEs.

Here's something showing the average per course (and note that the average doesn't mean it's a requirement). Only two had 7 A* average. E&M (the course under discussion here, has 5.7)

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 23.22.56.jpg

wow! that's quite amazing! I thought they would've been much much higher
Reply 39
wow! that's quite amazing! I thought they would've been much much higher

It will be similar for Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending