The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry Revision Squad!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by samb1234
There are a few things I would change. Firstly for definition, I personally use 'the energy required to remove 1 mole of gaseous electrons from one mole of gaseous atoms to form one mole of gaseous 1+ ions'. The reason for this is that if they instead asked me for the 2nd IE definition all i need to change is atoms to 1+ ions and 1+ ions to 2+ ions. I would also personally have explicitly mentioned and explained the trend across and down the table, as well as explicitly explaining why there are some exceptions

WTF is a gaseous electron? His definition is fine.
Original post by samb1234
There are a few things I would change. Firstly for definition, I personally use 'the energy required to remove 1 mole of gaseous electrons from one mole of gaseous atoms to form one mole of gaseous 1+ ions'. The reason for this is that if they instead asked me for the 2nd IE definition all I need to change is atoms to 1+ ions and 1+ ions to 2+ ions. I would also personally have explicitly mentioned and explained the trend across and down the table, as well as explicitly explaining why there are some exceptions

The definition was from my textbook so I don't know. I did include the trends in the other pictures, was just wondering if it was sufficient enough in terms of depth. My Mother thought it wasn't enough for someone aiming for an A*, but didn't know if it was ok at this level.
Original post by alow
WTF is a gaseous electron? His definition is fine.

Thanks, a sigh of relief there mate!
Original post by itsastudentyo
a compund containing 84.21% carbon and 15.79% hydrogen by mass has a realtive molecular formula mass of 114. find its molecular formula

First you have to find the Empirical formula, the question gave you the percentage of each atom, those percentages ads to 100 which means there is no other atom but C,H
You treat the percentages as the masses of each atom, okay so to find the number of moles, Mass/Mr , then you divide on the smallest number of moles to find the mole ratio, the numbers have to be integers.

To find the molecular formula, you need to find n which is the Mr of molecular formula/Mr of empirical formula

1459348821859.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 224
image.jpgCan anyone help me draw out this structure? Its suppost to be a primary and a secondary alcohol but im confused on the secondary alcohol and the wedges. 😳😓
Reply 225
Anyone here do ocr salters b?
Original post by Ss0
image.jpgCan anyone help me draw out this structure? Its suppost to be a primary and a secondary alcohol but im confused on the secondary alcohol and the wedges. 😳😓

It's easier if you just ignore the wedges and pretend they're lines because the wedges just show it's 3D. The first wedge is a methyl group and the second one is an -OH group so it's 3-methyloctan-1,4-diol, hope that helps!
Can someone help me with this? How many proton environments are there ?
Reply 228
Original post by Exotic-L
Can someone help me with this? How many proton environments are there ?

Original post by SSD07
Anyone here do ocr salters b?

Yepp :wink:
Reply 230
Original post by Mac.Doll

do you know if theres a thread for our course???
Reply 231
Original post by Mac.Doll

also how are you revising for F334 and F335??
Original post by SSD07
also how are you revising for F334 and F335??

Yeahh sadily Im doing it too!! I've been making flow charts from storylines and then making notes from Chemical ideas but mainly calculation question from past papers and the problems after each chapter in the book :redface:

I also need to focus on F332 because Im resitting it!!!! :frown:
Reply 233
Original post by FemaleBo55
Yeahh sadily Im doing it too!! I've been making flow charts from storylines and then making notes from Chemical ideas but mainly calculation question from past papers and the problems after each chapter in the book :redface:

I also need to focus on F332 because Im resitting it!!!! :frown:

okay cool I have been making notes from chemical ideas and storylines but i wasn't sure if i was wasting time or not. I do find making notes, especially for our spec helps since the information is all over the place. I need to start practicing paper though asap!!

ahh im resisting F332 too, i looked back at it and actually forgot how much content there is for it :frown:
Original post by SSD07
okay cool I have been making notes from chemical ideas and storylines but i wasn't sure if i was wasting time or not. I do find making notes, especially for our spec helps since the information is all over the place. I need to start practicing paper though asap!!

ahh im resisting F332 too, i looked back at it and actually forgot how much content there is for it :frown:

How much have you odne though lol??? For some reason I find AI annoying, SS hard but I love TL and MR :wink:
In nucleophilic substitution reactions is the nucleophile dissolved in ethanol or the haloalkane?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 236
Original post by FemaleBo55
How much have you odne though lol??? For some reason I find AI annoying, SS hard but I love TL and MR :wink:

I have made all my notes for MR, half of WM, and half of TL... that its :frown: its taking ages, I'm gonna spend more time on it next week, and actually start past papers.

I love WM, love MR, i can't stand TL!! as i don't do biology so i find a lot of the protein stuff hard, I quite like SS but theres loads for it!

how much have you done???
Original post by SSD07
I have made all my notes for MR, half of WM, and half of TL... that its :frown: its taking ages, I'm gonna spend more time on it next week, and actually start past papers.

I love WM, love MR, i can't stand TL!! as i don't do biology so i find a lot of the protein stuff hard, I quite like SS but theres loads for it!

how much have you done???

Ive made notes on F334 but I havent started F335 yet!!!! I;ve been reading and making otes from the storyline so far lol

Also PM????
Original post by kiiten
In nucleophilic substitution reactions is the nucleophile dissolved in ethanol or the haloalkane?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bump :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we use ethanol, I am not sure though but I guess we don't use it all the time like for aromatic substitution reaction, we use NaOH so I think the concept is that we use alcholos

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest