The Student Room Group

difference between alicyclic and aromatic ?

what is the difference:

alicyclic are joined to each other in a ring structure, aromatic is when some or all of the carbon atoms are found in a benzene ring.

so what is the real difference?

are aromatic hydrocarbons just alicyclic but with double bonds? and does this make them a sub-group of alicyclic hydrocarbons or is it a separate thing like aliphatic is?

and if the underlined bit is true, does that mean all alicyclic hydrocarbons with 3 double bonds are automatically aromatic?

side question: are the 3 double bonds the max amount of double bonds a carbon ring structure can have?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medhelp
what is the difference:

alicyclic are joined to each other in a ring structure, aromatic is when some or all of the carbon atoms are found in a benzene ring.

are aromatic hydrocarbons just alicyclic but with double bonds? and does this make them a sub-group of alicyclic hydrocarbons or is it a separate thing like aliphatic is?

and if the underlined bit is true, does that mean all alicyclic hydrocarbons with 3 double bonds are automatically aromatic?

side question: are the 3 double bonds the max amount of double bonds a carbon ring structure can have?

Spoiler

You kind of have the right idea here, the main difference between them is that in an aromatic compound such as benzene the electrons are delocalised (spread out) around all the carbon atoms within the circle. In alicyclic compounds with 3 double bonds the electrons stay within the area of the double bond. In textbooks benzene is sometimes depicted as having 3 double bonds but it's more accurate to represent it as a hexagon with a circle in the middle

You can prove this by looking at the enthalpy required to break a double bond and a single bond in cyclohexene and then compare it to breaking a bond in benzene. The enthalpy value is more than that required to break the single bond but less than the required value to break the double bond thus proving delocalisation.

Delocalisation is the reason why the chemistry of benzene is very different from the chemistry of cyclohexene. You will learn more about it in A2
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by medhelp
what is the difference:

Spoiler

To be aromatic, a compound must satisfy three conditions:

-There must be a delocalised π-system containing 4n+2;nN4n+2;\: n \in \mathbb{N} electrons (i.e. alternating double and single bonds).
-All electrons which contribute to the π-system must be in the same plane (i.e. no puckered rings).
-Contributing electrons must be arranged in at least one ring.

Structures such as benzene:

Clearly obey these conditions.

Yes, you can have a cycle with more double bonds, such as cyclooctatetraene:

However, this does not meet the requirements for aromaticity due to it's 8 electrons in a π-system. We actually call compounds with 4n;nN4n;\: n \in \mathbb{N} electrons (along with the other aromaticity requirements) antiaromatic. Antiaromatic structures are incredibly unstable, meaning compounds such as cyclooctatetraene pucker out of the plane to avoid this:

The structure with double bonds is almost always more useful.

Not necessarily, they just don't form an aromatic system.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by medhelp
what is the difference:

Spoiler

For anything A level I'm the worst person to ask, but i doubt at any point we wuld have to worry about such differentiation much at Uni, more recognising what you've got and the understanding of what you do with them.

But general advise for university.Remember that all of these diagrams are all incorrect and pure fantasy. The mechanisms, positions of the 'eletcrons' just what is going on? We can only geuss.

My freind made the jump to biochem and the quantum chemistry and MO stuffjust messed with him a bit, becasue lewis diagrams, bond type and a particle like electron were so ingrained into his brain he couldn't let it go.

Have the mindset, different theory, diffferent application and move on.
Reply 4
Original post by FailingChemist
For anything A level I'm the worst person to ask, but i doubt at any point we wuld have to worry about such differentiation much at Uni, more recognising what you've got and the understanding of what you do with them.

But general advise for university.Remember that all of these diagrams are all incorrect and pure fantasy. The mechanisms, positions of the 'eletcrons' just what is going on? We can only geuss.

My freind made the jump to biochem and the quantum chemistry and MO stuffjust messed with him a bit, becasue lewis diagrams, bond type and a particle like electron were so ingrained into his brain he couldn't let it go.

Have the mindset, different theory, diffferent application and move on.

Oh, you will.
Original post by alow
Oh, you will.

Ok then I will, take note of what this man says.
Reply 6
Original post by FailingChemist
Ok then I will, take note of what this man says.

If you want to see a different method of finding if a compound is aromatic, Frost Circles are pretty cool (and give a bit more rationale behind the stability of aromatic and instability of anitaromatics -which it turns out are diradicals-).

http://www.chemgapedia.de/vsengine/vlu/vsc/en/ch/12/oc/vlu_organik/aromaten/aromaten/aromaten_gesamt.vlu/Page/vsc/en/ch/12/oc/aromaten/aromaten/frost/frost.vscml.html
Original post by alow
If you want to see a different method of finding if a compound is aromatic, Frost Circles are pretty cool (and give a bit more rationale behind the stability of aromatic and instability of anitaromatics -which it turns out are diradicals-).

http://www.chemgapedia.de/vsengine/vlu/vsc/en/ch/12/oc/vlu_organik/aromaten/aromaten/aromaten_gesamt.vlu/Page/vsc/en/ch/12/oc/aromaten/aromaten/frost/frost.vscml.html

I'll be honest, I've not touched my aromatic chemistry yet, at all (but I should have). But I've got all the study materials and notes, so at some point next week, i should be up to scratch. It doesn't take long, but it does hurt the brain.

Thanks
Original post by alow
To be aromatic, a compound must satisfy three conditions:

-There must be a delocalised π-system containing 4n+2;nN4n+2;\: n \in \mathbb{N} electrons (i.e. alternating double and single bonds).
-All electrons which contribute to the π-system must be in the same plane (i.e. no puckered rings).
-Contributing electrons must be arranged in at least one ring.

Structures such as benzene:

Clearly obey these conditions.

Yes, you can have a cycle with more double bonds, such as cyclooctatetraene:

However, this does not meet the requirements for aromaticity due to it's 8 electrons in a π-system. We actually call compounds with 4n;nN4n;\: n \in \mathbb{N} electrons (along with the other aromaticity requirements) antiaromatic. Antiaromatic structures are incredibly unstable, meaning compounds such as cyclooctatetraene pucker out of the plane to avoid this:

The structure with double bonds is almost always more useful.

Not necessarily, they just don't form an aromatic system.

This is right but too complicated for a-level

I was answering the question from the perspective of an a-level question. You don't need to know about Huckel's Rule and all the other stuff until university
Reply 9
They were asking a question which cannot be explained using A Level knowledge.

However much of your answer was wrong, even in an A Level context.
Original post by alow
They were asking a question which cannot be explained using A Level knowledge.

However much of your answer was wrong, even in an A Level context.

My understanding of the difference between alicyclic and aromatic is perfectly adequate considering I got good marks on that particular topic at a-level. They explain to us the difference at A2 level without having to go into university level detail just fine
Reply 11
They can't tell you the difference without aromatic and aliphatic without actually saying what an aromatic compound is. Therefore you don't know the difference.
Original post by alow
They can't tell you the difference without aromatic and aliphatic without actually saying what an aromatic compound is. Therefore you don't know the difference.

They do talk about delocalised electrons though, which tends to distinguish an aromatic compound from an aliphatic compound (at least at a-level standard) I know that at university it's different because topics tend to get dumbed down at a-level
Reply 13
Aliphatic compounds can have delocalised electrons too. That's not what makes an aromatic compound.

When I did A levels, my teacher taught us the proper characteristics of aromatics so it's hardly like "oh but it's at university" means an A level student can't appreciate and understand the complex.
Original post by alow
Aliphatic compounds can have delocalised electrons too. That's not what makes an aromatic compound.

When I did A levels, my teacher taught us the proper characteristics of aromatics so it's hardly like "oh but it's at university" means an A level student can't appreciate and understand the complex.

That's true, but not all the way around the compound thus conferring it greater stability

That's kind of cool and I agree with you that just because someone is an a-level student they can't appreciate university concepts but they still have grades to get and irrelevant information could confuse them. You have to answer questions at a-level how the exam board wants you too in order to get that A or A*
Erm...actually, conjugated compounds are not aromatic yet are definitely more stable than a molecule without conjugation or an alicylic compound due to their delocalised electrons (which don't actually extend to the whole molecule). So you're wrong.

Please don't argue about things you clearly have no clue about.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alow

Savage.
Reply 17
@alow guys you're confusing me sm lol
Original post by medhelp
@alow @AngryRedhead guys you're confusing me sm lol

To put it simply, answer these two questions:

Is it a cyclic compound?
Is it aromatic? Refer to Huckel's rule above to correctly identify aromatic structures

If the answer to both questions is yes, then it's aromatic, not alicyclic. If the answer to 1 is yes and the answer to 2 is no, then it's alicyclic.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Erm...actually, conjugated compounds are not aromatic yet are definitely more stable than a molecule without conjugation or an alicylic compound due to their delocalised electrons (which don't actually extend to the whole molecule). So you're wrong.

Please don't argue about things you clearly have no clue about.

The OP specifically mentioned benzene so that is what my answer was based on. Even the OP has now said they are confused :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest