The Student Room Group

MSc Investment Management at Cass

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blelow88
Anyone else considering any other universities apart from Warwick/ucl?

I got an offer from Bristol for Finance and Investment and I'm waiting on Durham, Bath, Kings and St Andrews.

Would any of those be better than cass? The only thing that is making me doubt Cass is that it is not very well known overseas and some of those more "traditional" universities above surpass in terms of global reputation. Its important to me as I'm from Hong Kong, that being said I do want to get a graduate job first in London.

I don't know that any of these are better than Cass for finance in London. Perhaps Durham (domestic reputation) or Kings (London location + global reputation).
London will give you the opportunity to network and stay plugged in like no other.
Original post by Blelow88
I got an offer from Cass for Investment Management in 5 days which was very surprising. Condition on achieving a 2.1 and didn't do the GMAT.

Do you have a great profile? Any relevant work experience?
Original post by karan.n
Sent my application for Investment Management at CASS last Tuesday. Got it last Thursday (so 2 days) but they require me to complete the GMAT. Just asked for a waiver, not too sure if I will get it. However, applying to other universities.

If they require me to complete the GMAT, then I wouldn't bother, because I know I will suck at it. Will you graduate with a 1st or 2.1?

I think I am going to struggle with the reference letter, as they are very specific about how the reference letter is being written, as I do not know any of the lecturers personally, even though I have got some good marks in many of my courses.
I already have one reference letter from another lecturer, but I do not think she would want to write another one for me.
Reply 23
Original post by SeamanDemon

If they require me to complete the GMAT, then I wouldn't bother, because I know I will suck at it. Will you graduate with a 1st or 2.1?

I think I am going to struggle with the reference letter, as they are very specific about how the reference letter is being written, as I do not know any of the lecturers personally, even though I have got some good marks in many of my courses.
I already have one reference letter from another lecturer, but I do not think she would want to write another one for me.

I just got a waiver for the GMAT and i graduated with a 1st from UCL. Still waiting for other universities though. In case of reference, they will subject that to a conditional offer. You can send in the reference later, once you have decided who you would like to write one for you.
Original post by SeamanDemon

I've mainly had experience within the accounting industry in big4 and 2nd tier firms. So i think that helped. Another thing I did was talk a lot about experience in investment and trading society which I've been active in during my university and that was a big influence in making me want pursue a career in finance and investment related fields.

In your case if you dont know the lecturers personally. Ask them if they can find some time to sit down with you after hours and you can show them your experience i.e CV and any other relevant experience. So this way you can give the lecturer a better and more clear idea of your capabilities and basically know you better.
I have an offer for MSc in Investment Management from Cass Business School.Is CASS worth the money? I also have offers for MSc Finance from Lancaster and Strathclyde. Confused.
I just got my offer today, two working days after submitting the application, with the deadline of 30 April.
Original post by Hasan Mathar
I have an offer for MSc in Investment Management from Cass Business School.Is CASS worth the money? I also have offers for MSc Finance from Lancaster and Strathclyde. Confused.

I am going to Cass for the MSc Finance programme. I think it depends on the students themselves whether they can maximize the value of Cass' degree. From little linkedin research I did, I saw many Cass finance masters students currently working in great firms. However, try applying to LSE or LBS (MSc FinAnalysis) for better London finance master programme. As for Lancaster and Strathclyde, I think Cass edges them both out. My $0.02.
Original post by minerdigger
I am going to Cass for the MSc Finance programme. I think it depends on the students themselves whether they can maximize the value of Cass' degree. From little linkedin research I did, I saw many Cass finance masters students currently working in great firms. However, try applying to LSE or LBS (MSc FinAnalysis) for better London finance master programme. As for Lancaster and Strathclyde, I think Cass edges them both out. My $0.02.

What is your undergraduate degree? Is it relate to Finance/Business?

I feel like their MSc Finance is for undergrads who have graduated with degrees outside of finance and business, and some the modules in the course content is very similar to my undergraduate degree.
Reply 29
I have a big question that needs to be answered ASAP. I will really appreciate if anyone can help me with this :frown:

Basically I have an offer for Cass- MSc Investment Management, which I have to reply by today. The problem is that the deposit is GBP 2000. I am also waiting for other universities, which if I get any of those in the waiting list, I will go for them.

However, I also have Warwick - MSc Business (Accounting and Finance). The deposit is GBP 500 and I have another week to wait for other offers.

Now the problem is, if I do not reply to either universities, and I do not get the universities I am waiting for, I will not have a university to go to this year. If I do reply and get the other universities, I will lose my deposit (which is alot more for Cass).

I would like to know which university have a better reputation (post-graduate jobs and international reputation). I have studied in London for 3 years, and would love to stay in London. But since masters is just 1 year, I do not mind staying in Coventry too. My main concern is the reputation. I've never been to Coventry or Warwick itself. So any comments/suggestions will really be appreciated. Thank you so much.
Warwick over Cass; that's how reputation sees it. I have been rejected at Warwick for the MSc in Finance; will be going for the MSc in Investment Management at Cass starting this September.
Original post by karan.n
I have a big question that needs to be answered ASAP. I will really appreciate if anyone can help me with this :frown:

Basically I have an offer for Cass- MSc Investment Management, which I have to reply by today. The problem is that the deposit is GBP 2000. I am also waiting for other universities, which if I get any of those in the waiting list, I will go for them.

However, I also have Warwick - MSc Business (Accounting and Finance). The deposit is GBP 500 and I have another week to wait for other offers.

Now the problem is, if I do not reply to either universities, and I do not get the universities I am waiting for, I will not have a university to go to this year. If I do reply and get the other universities, I will lose my deposit (which is alot more for Cass).

I would like to know which university have a better reputation (post-graduate jobs and international reputation). I have studied in London for 3 years, and would love to stay in London. But since masters is just 1 year, I do not mind staying in Coventry too. My main concern is the reputation. I've never been to Coventry or Warwick itself. So any comments/suggestions will really be appreciated. Thank you so much.

If you're worried about the deadline you can ask for it to be postponed. I did that and they extended it by a month because I told them I was waiting for enough funds to be able to pay the deposit. Which allowed me to wait on my other applications.

Though as someone commented, Warwick would be a better choice if you get the option.
Cass Sucks. go to Warwick, Durham or LSE
Dear all,

I received offers from:
- Kings College London: MSc Banking & Finance (I declined the offer)
- Cass Business School: MSc Investment Management (accepted offer, incl. paid deposit)
- Imperial College London: MSc Finance & Accounting (declined offer)

I applied for the MSc Investment and Wealth Management at Imperial College London (would be my first choice). However, they were not able to offer me a place just yet; however, they offered me a place for their MSc Finance and Accounting program which really does not fit my interests (that's also why I declined this offer). Nonetheless, they did put me on their waiting list for the course I initially applied to (MSc Investment and Wealth Management) and I will know about the outcome on 30th May.

Since the only scenario where I end up with at least one MSc I already had to pay the deposit of £2,000 for Cass. I did read the terms and conditions of the deposit and know that I only have 14 days to cancel my confirmation (this is not enough time until I know about Imperial).

Don't get me wrong, Cass is fantastic and I am happy about being able to study there, but I just want to make the right decision.

I now want to ask this community:
1. Are there any other ways of getting back the deposit of £2,000 (in case I get the Imperial offer)?
2. Do you think it would be worth it to just leave the deposit with Cass and still go to Imperial (i. e. the deposit could be seen as a risk premium).
3. Is Imperial really that much better than Cass and what do you think in general about this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending