The Student Room Group

Protostar's journey to amazing grades! (GCSE)

Scroll to see replies

Ah yes you're the further maths person - I remember you! :tongue:
And you're welcome! I'm glad I helped you!
Thank you so much, this really means a lot to me! I'm sure you'll also do really well - you deserve it! :biggrin:
Original post by nisha.sri
Lol at least you did some things :smile:

That's very true, I'm trying to do at least something every day, even if it is only tiny. :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
That's very true, I'm trying to do at least something every day, even if it is only tiny. :smile:

That's good 😀 How many hours do you think someone should revise for during the easter holidays? I would reckon 9 hours per day what about you?
Also, do you have any suggestions on how i could revise for english literature?
Thanks
X
That's good 😀 How many hours do you think someone should revise for during the easter holidays? I would reckon 9 hours per day what about you?
Also, do you have any suggestions on how i could revise for english literature?
Thanks
X

I think 9 hours might be overdoing it a bit...I'm going for around 6.
For English lit I would definitely reread the books and make fact files on things like main characters as themes etc. that they could ask you about in the exam. I would then do some practice questions so you can work out your timings and stuff like that, and any other weaknesses you might have. For the poetry section I would make sure you have fully detailed notes on your anthology poems and LEARN THEM so that you can adapt them to whichever theme the question asks you about. If you have to do unseen (we do) then what I'd recommend for that would be to research the poets to get a bit of info another their backgrounds so it might help you to understand the poem better.
Hope I helped :smile:
I think 9 hours might be overdoing it a bit...I'm going for around 6.
For English lit I would definitely reread the books and make fact files on things like main characters as themes etc. that they could ask you about in the exam. I would then do some practice questions so you can work out your timings and stuff like that, and any other weaknesses you might have. For the poetry section I would make sure you have fully detailed notes on your anthology poems and LEARN THEM so that you can adapt them to whichever theme the question asks you about. If you have to do unseen (we do) then what I'd recommend for that would be to research the poets to get a bit of info another their backgrounds so it might help you to understand the poem better.
Hope I helped :smile:

Aw Thank you for your advice :smile:
28/03/2016 - Evening update

Didn't get held up quite as much as I thought I would today, so I have actually managed to get some stuff done :biggrin:

This week I'm focusing on the Unit 2s for science (so that's B2, C2 and P2) as I got all the Unit 1s done last week. So today I decided to start on C2 (even though we haven't covered it in class yet, might as well get a head-start) and I finished typing up all the notes for that and wrote 9/10 of them onto index cards, so I'm pretty much done with C2 already :biggrin:

When I've finished the last card (should take ~5 mins) I'm going to move on to either some Geography or some RE for a bit.

By the way, does anyone know how to make one of these blogs despite the competition thing being closed? I have a friend who's quite interested in making one but the GYG section isn't accepting any more threads. If someone could tell me that'd be highly appreciated!
28/03/2016 - Evening update

Didn't get held up quite as much as I thought I would today, so I have actually managed to get some stuff done :biggrin:

This week I'm focusing on the Unit 2s for science (so that's B2, C2 and P2) as I got all the Unit 1s done last week. So today I decided to start on C2 (even though we haven't covered it in class yet, might as well get a head-start) and I finished typing up all the notes for that and wrote 9/10 of them onto index cards, so I'm pretty much done with C2 already :biggrin:

When I've finished the last card (should take ~5 mins) I'm going to move on to either some Geography or some RE for a bit.

By the way, does anyone know how to make one of these blogs despite the competition thing being closed? I have a friend who's quite interested in making one but the GYG section isn't accepting any more threads. If someone could tell me that'd be highly appreciated!

Well done and I absolutely hate P2 especially forces! :smile:
and no i'm sorry x
Well done and I absolutely hate P2 especially forces! :smile:
and no i'm sorry x

Ah it's ok :smile:
And we do different exam boards for science - forces for me comes up in P4 :tongue:
Although I also hate forces!!!
Ah it's ok :smile:
And we do different exam boards for science - forces for me comes up in P4 :tongue:
Although I also hate forces!!!

Lol :smile:
Haha
29/03/2016 - Evening update

Been quite unproductive today - and annoyingly it wasn't my fault :angry:

Was meant to go out for a meal today with my family, but unfortunately my grandma got sent to A and E by her doctor :frown: so it didn't happen.

I was meant to start revising at 4 o clock...but my mum complained that I'm 'overworking' myself and that I should take a break - she literally wouldn't let me into the study for an hour :angry:
By the time I was allowed back in I was used to chilling and I didn't have the motivation to do anything at that point, so today's efforts have been very limited :frown:

On the plus side, today we got the maths paper that we did last week, and I got 98% :smile: (I guess it did help that I recognised a few of the questions though :wink:)

I managed to:
-Type up 5 index card notes for B2
-Make (very few) notes on Changing Urban Environments for geography, but I quickly lost motivation so I stopped

I still need to:
-Do my English homework (poetry comparison exam question)

The only problem is I'm SO TIRED. I wanted to go to bed at 10 but considering I'm going to have to spend at least 45 minutes on this that's not going to happen :frown:

I guess the sooner I get started, the sooner I can sleep :wink:
29/03/2016 - Evening update

Been quite unproductive today - and annoyingly it wasn't my fault :angry:

Was meant to go out for a meal today with my family, but unfortunately my grandma got sent to A and E by her doctor :frown: so it didn't happen.

I was meant to start revising at 4 o clock...but my mum complained that I'm 'overworking' myself and that I should take a break - she literally wouldn't let me into the study for an hour :angry:
By the time I was allowed back in I was used to chilling and I didn't have the motivation to do anything at that point, so today's efforts have been very limited :frown:

On the plus side, today we got the maths paper that we did last week, and I got 98% :smile: (I guess it did help that I recognised a few of the questions though :wink:)

I managed to:
-Type up 5 index card notes for B2
-Make (very few) notes on Changing Urban Environments for geography, but I quickly lost motivation so I stopped

I still need to:
-Do my English homework (poetry comparison exam question)

The only problem is I'm SO TIRED. I wanted to go to bed at 10 but considering I'm going to have to spend at least 45 minutes on this that's not going to happen :frown:

I guess the sooner I get started, the sooner I can sleep :wink:

Sup, dw. You've been really productive anyway so it might be good that you're having a rest to let all that info sink in :smile:
I guess so, thank you. :smile:
31/03/2016 - Morning update

Today's going to be a hectic day :s-smilie:

I've got my PE coursework final write-up (yayyy :frown:), our last lesson with our chemistry teacher before she leaves, my meningitis jab (as if I need something to make me even more tired than I already am :angry:) and on top of all that, I have the maths paper 2 at the end of the day.

Yesterday we FINALLY got out Of Mice and Men mock exam papers back that we did, after about 4 weeks (the person who initially marked them was horrendous and was giving people ridiculous scores like 2/40 so they all had to be remarked). I got 26/40 which, although it doesn't sound that good, paired with my 18/24 that I got in the writing task way back in November, that placed me on 44/64 - JUST hitting the boundary for an A*!!! :biggrin: I was so shocked as I usually get Bs for English Language!

Yesterday I got absolutely no revision done unfortunately, but this time it was my fault as I simply couldn't be bothered to do any.

However I did finish my biology coursework yesterday afternoon, so now I've finished all my science courseworks!!! 🎉🎉🎉 Only got geography left to finish now, and I'm coming into school during the holidays to do that.

It's now 6:45 so I'm late getting up :s-smilie: Today's already getting off to a bad start 😂

I've got my PE coursework final write-up (yayyy :frown:), our last lesson with our chemistry teacher before she leaves, my meningitis jab (as if I need something to make me even more tired than I already am :angry:) and on top of all that, I have the maths paper 2 at the end of the day.

Yesterday we FINALLY got out Of Mice and Men mock exam papers back that we did, after about 4 weeks (the person who initially marked them was horrendous and was giving people ridiculous scores like 2/40 so they all had to be remarked). I got 26/40 which, although it doesn't sound that good, paired with my 18/24 that I got in the writing task way back in November, that placed me on 44/64 - JUST hitting the boundary for an A*!!! :biggrin: I was so shocked as I usually get Bs for English Language!

Yesterday I got absolutely no revision done unfortunately, but this time it was my fault as I simply couldn't be bothered to do any.

However I did finish my biology coursework yesterday afternoon, so now I've finished all my science courseworks!!! 🎉🎉🎉 Only got geography left to finish now, and I'm coming into school during the holidays to do that.

It's now 6:45 so I'm late getting up :s-smilie: Today's already getting off to a bad start 😂

The jab isn't too bad. I had a small headache after mine but my arm didn't ache like the last one we had with school.. :smile:
Congrats with the A* in English!!!! Coursework seems to keep on going... Only one more though! The last time you'll have to cope with the pain...

VERY WELL DONe ON YOUR A* :smile:
What is your board for wjec :smile:

I got 26/40 as well for of mice and men :smile: but i wanted to do better though :smile:
31/03/2016 - Afternoon update

WELL WHAT A LOAD OF SH*T THAT MATHS EXAM WAS I'M SO ANGRY :angry::angry::angry:

In other news my PE went fine, I couldn't feel the jab and I missed most of chemistry because of it too, despite having to actually take my shirt off so she could put it in the right place :s-smilie:

I'll update more later when I'm at home and have gotten over the stress of that exam :angry:
Original post by Ara8311a
The jab isn't too bad. I had a small headache after mine but my arm didn't ache like the last one we had with school.. :smile:
Congrats with the A* in English!!!! Coursework seems to keep on going... Only one more though! The last time you'll have to cope with the pain...

Yeah, I'm not bothered about jabs anyway but this one was one of the better ones - I didn't even feel it! I do have a very slight headache now, but that might be because of squinting in the sun.

Thank you haha, it was a huge surprise!!!

And tell me about it! I hate coursework so much - part of me is jealous of the younger ones not having to do it, but then I remember that their exams are harder so I just kind of deal with it, the thought of that 2 month summer is what's getting me through it all!
VERY WELL DONe ON YOUR A* :smile:
What is your board for wjec :smile:

I got 26/40 as well for of mice and men :smile: but i wanted to do better though :smile:

Thank you!
And I'm on Edexcel for English (I think that's what you meant :wink:)
Yeah, ideally 30+ would have been lovely but tbh it was our first go at a proper exam and seeing as I got above half marks I was happy :smile:
Thank you!
And I'm on Edexcel for English (I think that's what you meant :wink:)
Yeah, ideally 30+ would have been lovely but tbh it was our first go at a proper exam and seeing as I got above half marks I was happy :smile:

No worries :smile:
Oh yeah whoops :smile:
Same :smile: and that's true :smile:
2/04/2016 - Morning update

Sorry I've not updated this since Thursday :s-smilie:

So, I thought that I'd completely bombed that maths exam I had on Thursday and I was stressing like mad, but we managed to persuade our teacher to mark 3 papers before the end of the day so we didn't have to wait 2 weeks to get them back. And it turns out I didn't do badly at all - I got 93%! :biggrin: Huge huge shock as it was horrific, one of the hardest papers I've sat tbh, so now I'm very confident about my real exam (not that I wasn't already :wink:)

Yesterday was quite an emotional day, as it was my chemistry teachers last day :frown:
My friend made her a really cute cake which we gave her, and we also gave her the secret we'd been hiding for about a year and a half - a sheet containing weird things she's said (she's absolutely bonkers so there were a lot!). It will be sad to see her go :frown:

Tonight I'm off to yet another birthday party, literally everyone I know is born in spring! So I probably won't get much done tomorrow as I'll be recovering :redface:

As for my revision this week I'm very disappointed in myself because I only managed to be productive on Monday - when we weren't at school. However, we've now broken up for the holidays which means I can focus again for 2 weeks - I'm so grateful that the holidays are here!

On Thursday the head of English decided to give a 25 minute speech about how 'this is not a holiday' and how we should be revising for '6-8 hours a day', along with some very unhelpful revision tips. I don't think it's fair when they tell you stuff like that - at the end of the day it IS a holiday, we do need time off - we're not machines! I'm sure she irritates 95% of people at my school :angry:

Anyway, i suppose it's time to get up - I've been lying in bed for about an hour. Oops. I'm not sure how much I'll get done today but hopefully it'll be something. Last little thing from me:

Good luck Dr M - we will miss you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending