The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm definitely biased but I would honestly say that Glasgow University is fairly underrated, it's often dismissed as it's in around 30th place in the league tables but the teaching staff are very good and the support for students is much better than a lot of Unis imo, also the entry requirements are similar to St Andrews and Edinburgh.
Overrated: Oxford and Imperial
Original post by Blondie987
I'm definitely biased but I would honestly say that Glasgow University is fairly underrated, it's often dismissed as it'sg in around 30th place in the league tables but the teaching staff are very good and the support for students is much better than a lot of Unis imo, also the entry requirements are similar to St Andrews and Edinburgh.

Nice to hear that, going there in September for Masters :smile:
Manchester is awesome for science yet its so underrated.
Edinburgh is pretty much the second best university in the UK (a tie with Oxford and Imperial) yet it's always ranked low. Perhaps because it's not as selective even though they can afford to be extremely selective.
Underrated: Bradford uni
Liverpool is probably underrated
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Just as compelling as your post, bud.

Ra's Al Ghul
Original post by Princepieman
They're above Imperial in global rankings, which is complete nonsense. All the current UCL applicants I've spoken to feel like they'll get their bottoms kissed because they have the uni's name on their CV. LSE because people think it's a ticket to big bucks, when really, they just compete against other top 5-10 uni students for jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you always so negative?
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Ra's Al Ghul

Good lad. Nice hair.
Good lad. Nice hair.

Yes, Sauron has nice hair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't forget about Times/Sunday Times and the Guardian. All three websites must have been removed from your bookmarks by now.

Why don't you like about Mighty Exon?

Exeter is bang average and one visit would be all it takes for you to realise that (unless you attendthere and you're defending iit's ranking based in bias).

And the other websites you listed don't have it above UCL or Bath so I'll stick with those. I didn't even like UCL that much. Especially for STEM subjects. But it's still way better than freaking exeter.

And the location is **** too. How can you build a uni on a hill?

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Liverpool is probably underrated

Liverpool is full of scousers though
(edited 8 years ago)
90% of the responses:

"Overrated: *Universities I got rejected from*
Underrated: *University I go to* "
Original post by ComputerMaths97
90% of the responses:

"Overrated: *Universities I got rejected from*
Underrated: *University I go to* "

Actually in many cases, like mine, the overrated universities are the ones we actually go to. They were made to sound a lot better than they actually are. Especially the big name ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oliver_94
I wish I quit while I had the chance, the worst university ever I could think of. I recommend changing before it's too late

What are the reasons and experiences as to why you hate it?
Original post by JohnGreek
He's a troll.

Obviously studied media at Coventry University and holds some deep resentment for moderately good universities.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Why are you always so negative?

Cuz, I'm a negative nancy.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Actually in many cases, like mine, the overrated universities are the ones we actually go to. They were made to sound a lot better than they actually are. Especially the big name ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well obviously a University is going to try to have a positive advertising campaign.

Everyone expects to go to uni and be spoon fed a degree, just because they go to a better University. I'd argue it's the other way around - the better University you go, the harder the workload.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Well obviously a University is going to try to have a positive advertising campaign.

Everyone expects to go to uni and be spoon fed a degree, just because they go to a better University. I'd argue it's the other way around - the better University you go, the harder the workload.

I don't think they're talking about the 'workload'. They're more making a comment about the material, support systems, career guidance etc, the other intagible things that universities may wax lyrical about yet don't quite deliver on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403
Wtf?

All threads on student room are people saying how bad it is.
Original post by Jamie S
All threads on student room are people saying how bad it is.

I'd say it's a mix but certainly it ranks well. Higher than Imperial which in my opinion is not true

Latest

Trending

Trending