The Student Room Group

What time is it? It's time to BEAT procrastination

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simply_a_ Δ
No problem :biggrin:
How have you been with meeting your goals?

Of course! Not like I planned a load of things to do this weekend and have only done three of them. Why on earth would I do that?? :smile:
I'm enjoying history revision at the moment. I don't know if this is a temporary feeling but my interest for history is motivating me to concentrate and not procrastinate writing revision notes. It's a start, I just need to make sure I build up motivation for my other subjects too.

So how did I get this motivation in the first place?
Well I've been revising for a history test and I want to do well in it - this motivated me to write some notes over the weekend and today I discussed and revised history in a group during my free period. It made me notice what gaps I have and this makes me want to ensure I learn from my mistakes so I don't let the others down when I have this revision session again (it's embarrassing to turn up to revise but not knowing the facts).

My aim is to write all my notes by the end of March. It's gonna require soooo much work, but if I want to be the person I want to be, it all starts with hard work and it has to start now.
:s-smilie:*EASTER REVISION* :s-smilie:

Gotta get my revision in full gear if I even want to think of getting As.

Goals:
Complete a Biology Cells, Exchange, Transport paper.
Maths C1 Coordinate geometry Maths C2 Sequences and Series
Chemistry Atoms, Bonds and Groups past paper
With a positive attitude I can get this all done :smile:
If I don't start today, how can I expect that A on results day. Also it is such a lovely day - natural light is the best.
(edited 8 years ago)
:s-smilie:*EASTER REVISION* :s-smilie:

Gotta get my revision in full gear if I even want to think of getting As.

Goals:
Complete a Biology Cells, Exchange, Transport paper.Maths C1 Coordinate geometry Maths C2 Sequences and SeriesChemistry Atoms, Bonds and Groups past paperWith a positive attitude I can get this all done :smile:If I don't start today, how can I expect that A on results day. Also it is such a lovely day - natural light is the best.

How many notes have you got to do? If only natural light lasted tho! It always seems to be one day of sunshine and then weeks of rain at the moment!

I hope your revision's going well!
Original post by Ara8311a
How many notes have you got to do? If only natural light lasted tho! It always seems to be one day of sunshine and then weeks of rain at the moment!

I hope your revision's going well!

I have all my notes to write, no joke. But I'm not sure whether I should be making notes or whether I should go straight for the past papers and write a few flashcards instead of just note taking :s-smilie:

How do you revise?
I also hope your revision is going to plan :biggrin:
I have all my notes to write, no joke. But I'm not sure whether I should be making notes or whether I should go straight for the past papers and write a few flashcards instead of just note taking :s-smilie:

How do you revise?
I also hope your revision is going to plan :biggrin:

All of them? Woah, good luck! I'm fairly lucky as I only really had Music which I hadn't done any notes on.
I tend to summarise my class notes when I make notes, making more of an outline which is good for me as I tend to remember things better when I can visualise where I wrote it. :smile:
I'm trying to gradually move onto past papers but at the moment I seem to have a lot of things to learn. Surprisingly I am on track for now.
Good luck with getting your notes all done by the end of March! You can beat procrastination!!
I sure am full of Easter chocolate. I'm gonna try and stay away from it for a few days. I should go on a sugar detox. That brings me onto nutrition during this exam period. I don't know what I should be eating and I don't have much control over that because my mum cooks... but I do try and get my 5 a day but other than that I'm not sure what energy food I could be eating. Any ideas? (I'm always hungry so I snack on sugary stuff oops). But hydration is the KEY to success - DJKhaled lmao.

Sleep - I need to start getting 8 hours of sleep everyday - this will be difficult on school nights but I gotta make this commitment.
The truth

To the people who spend time on social media and want to grow their grades, just try and give up social media for a week.

Unfortunately motivation is temporary for me. I even set up an instagram account dedicated to studying but the hard truth is, it's temporary and a way for me to procrastinate.

There's plenty of good study blogs on TSR, instagram, tumblr but if you're reading this and you feel that these study blogs aren't actually helping you, maybe it's time you go cold turkey and cut social media from your life as it is doing more harm than good. It can be uplifting when people give encouragement on your blogs so perhaps these blogs are something you can dedicate 20 minutes at the end of your day to.

However you can probably gain more from being self driven. When I compare myself to someone that doesn't use social media, I realise that those people don't need social media because they are self-driven to work and with the time they've not wasted on social media, they've used this to find their way of studying and they use this time we use for social media on expanding their interest in their subject.

Now this interest in a subject is what fuels the energy to learn and do well in a subject. Of course there are people who get through a subject with a textbook, but what inspiration can a standard textbook alone give (unless it's collins advanced science, they are brill)? Those that get the full marks are the ones who began their extra reading with several resources from the beginning of the year.

This isn't to say that it's too late, it NEVER is, but the point of this post was from something I saw earlier: it was just saying how we cannot rely on motivation from others. Instead we need to cut our distractions and understand what we are studying for.

What are YOU studying for?
I'm currently at C/D grades across Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and History. I really need to STEP UP my game if I want to study medicine. I have so much on my mind and I find it difficult to juggle social life, studying and sleep (I can't be the only one).
The culprit is procrastination but I am slowly managing to avoid these distractions (I'll write about how I do this is in a later post).

With less than 3 months until my first AS-level exam, I MUST focus and be efficient with my time. I find that I may sit at the desk for hours, but not progress with my work so I need to tackle this issue - feel free to share your ways of tackling this problem :smile:

So my GOAL is to get ALL A'S.

What can you expect from this blog?
Weekly updates of my study routine and what I have accomplished that week.
Revision strategies
Motivational quotes

oh shoot, I just procrastinated by setting up this blog.

What biology exam board are you? :smile:
Original post by Ribenas
What biology exam board are you? :smile:

OCR A ahh as much as I love biology, the content we have to learn can be overwhelming xD
You?
If you spend too much time on your phone, perhaps rearrange your apps so the apps that are a source of procrastination can be moved to the very back page on your phone so whenever you get tempted to open your phone to look at twitter, you will see that you've reshuffled all your apps and it will remind you that you did that because you need to focus on work.
OCR A ahh as much as I love biology, the content we have to learn can be overwhelming xD
You?

AQA, how are you getting on :smile:
Original post by Ribenas

How do you guys revise for biology I'm doing AQA aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Past papers, loads of them. What you currently achieving and how you revising?
Original post by Ribenas
Past papers, loads of them. What you currently achieving and how you revising?

I usually go over a topic learn it and then move to the next topic and learn I think I'm not going over many past papers and atm my grades are at C/D and I really want an A at the end
Original post by goal101
I usually go over a topic learn it and then move to the next topic and learn I think I'm not going over many past papers and atm my grades are at C/D and I really want an A at the end

I am aiming for the same. Not long until my AS exam less than 60 days!
Original post by Ribenas

Well I spent 3 hours on one spec point of a bio topic. So I'd say it's not going well. I have trouble condensing info :s-smilie:
any advice? :smile:
All of them? Woah, good luck! I'm fairly lucky as I only really had Music which I hadn't done any notes on.
I tend to summarise my class notes when I make notes, making more of an outline which is good for me as I tend to remember things better when I can visualise where I wrote it. :smile:
I'm trying to gradually move onto past papers but at the moment I seem to have a lot of things to learn. Surprisingly I am on track for now.
Good luck with getting your notes all done by the end of March! You can beat procrastination!!

So I haven't been procrastinating lately (hurrah), but I'm not making much progress with my work either... I try to condense but there's still so much info to get down asdfghjkl
So I haven't been procrastinating lately (hurrah), but I'm not making much progress with my work either... I try to condense but there's still so much info to get down asdfghjkl

At least you aren't procrastinating. I know what you mean though.. I'm trying to learn stuff but there is always more!! :frown:
We can do this though!?
At least you aren't procrastinating. I know what you mean though.. I'm trying to learn stuff but there is always more!! :frown:
We can do this though!?

If we believe in ourselves, we're already halfway there!
Hard work does pay off, so even when times are tough, embrace the challenge now so you can go through the exam in a breeze :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending