The Student Room Group

Need some opinions

Hi all,
Every since I started A Levels I was certain I wanted to study Biomedical science in the future. However after picking Economics as one of my A level subjects I have grown to really enjoy it and now I'm really unsure about which course to do at university. I have an offer for economics at southampton and also have biomedical offers as I emailed the university about the situation and they were happy to change the course for me.

I want to pick my course soon but one day I want to do Biomed and the next I'm leaning towards Economics. I do enjoy Economics and in the future I would rather work around people rather than in a lab but I've always had a thing for science.

In terms of jobs and careers which one would be better? I'm not worried about the salary but I've heard with Biomed to progress and get a good role you'd have to complete a PhD?
Both are good jobs.
Go for the one you enjoy most. I had to chose between doing Biology or Chemistry.
I picked Biology BECAUSE I enjoyed it more and I am glad I did.
Bio Med is nearly all lab studies and experiments if you want to work with people its not the best career route.

Good Luck, chose wisely !
Reply 2
bump
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by im.a.witch
Both are good jobs.
Go for the one you enjoy most. I had to chose between doing Biology or Chemistry.
I picked Biology BECAUSE I enjoyed it more and I am glad I did.
Bio Med is nearly all lab studies and experiments if you want to work with people its not the best career route.

Good Luck, chose wisely !

Yeah everyone keeps saying to go for what I enjoy but even now whenever it comes to revising Economics or Biology I lean towards Economics because I just enjoy it more and find it easier to learn but then I've always wanted to do something associated with science ever since I was little. As they are both completely different subjects I am struggling so much...
Reply 4
Original post by sazlove
Yeah everyone keeps saying to go for what I enjoy but even now whenever it comes to revising Economics or Biology I lean towards Economics because I just enjoy it more and find it easier to learn but then I've always wanted to do something associated with science ever since I was little. As they are both completely different subjects I am struggling so much...

Keep in mind that economics careers can be quite varied: a lot of economics graduates go into banking and finance, which involve working with people a lot. However, some of them later do further study in more mathematical degrees and end up working in academia or teaching or research, which don't involve working with people that much. Also keep in mind that economics at university is apparently very different to the a level and involves a lot of maths and statistics, although you will still be learning about the types of things that you studied at a level.
If you're struggling to decide which one you enjoy more, then decide based on which you are better at?

Perhaps look at the jobs that could lead from both degrees and see which ones appeal the most?

I know plenty of people who have enjoyed economics at alevel and then found the finance/banking/accounting route to be very dull and not for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Trapz99
Keep in mind that economics careers can be quite varied: a lot of economics graduates go into banking and finance, which involve working with people a lot. However, some of them later do further study in more mathematical degrees and end up working in academia or teaching or research, which don't involve working with people that much. Also keep in mind that economics at university is apparently very different to the a level and involves a lot of maths and statistics, although you will still be learning about the types of things that you studied at a level.

Thank you, in terms of job prospectus does one have an advantage to another? If I did economics I would go into consulting or audit. However I also know of Biomed graduates who have gone into finance as they have transferrable skills?
Reply 7
Original post by skinner97
If you're struggling to decide which one you enjoy more, then decide based on which you are better at?

Perhaps look at the jobs that could lead from both degrees and see which ones appeal the most?

I know plenty of people who have enjoyed economics at alevel and then found the finance/banking/accounting route to be very dull and not for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I do pick economics as I have an offer from southampton should I accept that or reapply next year to say warwick?
Reply 8
Original post by sazlove
Thank you, in terms of job prospectus does one have an advantage to another? If I did economics I would go into consulting or audit. However I also know of Biomed graduates who have gone into finance as they have transferrable skills?

Is is true that both biomed and economics students can go into finance but economics students have an advantage when applying for more mathematical parts of finance like certain types of trading. However, biomed also opens up the possibility of going into research. However, keep in mind that studying biomed is a bit useless if you are sure you want to go into finance since it aims to prepare students to go into biomedical further study and is quite a heavy and difficult workload.
I'm not sure how important the university is.
Most economics grads do an internship between year 2 and 3, and that is the best way to ensure you have a graduate job waiting for you. But I think your performance at the internship is what they base their job offers on, not which university you are at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest