The Student Room Group

How to get a broken car to rhe garage?

Its too broken to drive safely so how would you go about getting it safely to rhe garage? I sometimes see these massive trucks carrying about 5 cars behind. Is those trucks meant for transporting broken vehicles around? What are they called

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sabrinaa1234
Its too broken to drive safely so how would you go about getting it safely to rhe garage? I sometimes see these massive trucks carrying about 5 cars behind. Is those trucks meant for transporting broken vehicles around? What are they called

Posted from TSR Mobile

those transporters are for either brand new cars or scrappers you'd need a tow truck some garages have them otherwise you would need to hire one
You can call a vehicle recovery company and ask them to tow it there for you?
Recovery company

If it is local, possibly £50

That is what the last two cost me
Original post by sabrinaa1234

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm so very sorry

[video="youtube;0GIwTG8V-Ko"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GIwTG8V-Ko[/video]
I would start by asking the garage, most will either be able to recover the vehicle or recommend someone who can. If you're really lucky they might even be about to fix the car where it is.

If not look for a local recovery firm,

If your car is automatic mention this since it can make recovery slightly more difficult.
No , please be very careful, so many garages are complete ****ing bastards and lie saying your car needs this and that doing, charging you a fortune and ripping youu off for something that it wasn't even was.!!!!

Call a mobile mechanic, they will come to you and fix it at your home address !

I myself am lucky, i have a good friend who is a master technician and works from home fixing cars and he does a lot fo the work for me, i often go to him but if i had no friends to help me fix my car then i would probably find out the cost of a mobile mechanic and hire him over a garage

good luck
Reply 7
Join the AA or RAC and call them up a day after your policy starts. :wink:
Original post by JC.
Join the AA or RAC and call them up a day after your policy starts. :wink:

AA or RAC aren't stupid.

That is an obvious idea and that is why it won't work. I am sure you have to be covered a certain amount of time before
Reply 9
Original post by I love life
AA or RAC aren't stupid.

That is an obvious idea and that is why it won't work. I am sure you have to be covered a certain amount of time before

I'm sure you're right, kid... :wink:
AA or RAC aren't stupid.

I don't think so. Your policy starts when your policy starts.

However, what I can say is that many policies have a minimum DISTANCE from your house you have to be before you quality for recovery! Usually a mile or two.

SS
Original post by JC.
I'm sure you're right, kid... :wink:

I am, thanks, kid ...... :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Supersaps
I don't think so. Your policy starts when your policy starts.

However, what I can say is that many policies have a minimum DISTANCE from your house you have to be before you quality for recovery! Usually a mile or two.

SS

Just add "home start".
Alternatively, a mate with a towrope would put enough distance between your car and house. :wink:

I am, thanks, kid ...... :wink:

Yes, on this particular issue I'm sure your "real world experience" trumps mine... :wink:
Original post by JC.
Just add "home start".
Alternatively, a mate with a towrope would put enough distance between your car and house. :wink:

Yes, on this particular issue I'm sure your "real world experience" trumps mine... :wink:

going through the hassle to tow it a muile or 2 then his friend may as well just tow him to a reputable garage.
Reply 14
The usual restriction is within a 1/4 mile. You can push a car that far without breaking a sweat...

Towing a car that far is hardly "hassle". It's a 5 minute job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JC.
Just add "home start".

Or even register at a different address - home/uni/grandparents as required...

Quick Reply

Latest