The Student Room Group

Medicine as a second degree

Hi everyone!

I currently do sport science and physiology, and I will have finished it by next year and am contemplating doing medicine as a second degree as I have realised that the health care side of things is what I want to do in life.

I am expected to get a first degree in this, and the course is very heavily physiology and biology based. For GCSE's I got all A's (Only 1 A*), and for A levels I got A*,A,B,B. I got my A in biology, but I did not do chemistry for A level which I know is a major requirement for most unis. However I have done biochemistry modules at university so do you think they would overlook me not doing chemistry at A levels?

Thanks alot!
Some universities won't even look at your A levels and what your degree is in, just that you have a 2:1 or above. Newcastle, Nottingham and Warwick off the top of my head, but the tsr list has others listed too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide . Don't worry too much about it - ace your entrance exam(s) and get work experience, that's more important than A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Wanderlust&Tea
Some universities won't even look at your A levels and what your degree is in, just that you have a 2:1 or above. Newcastle, Nottingham and Warwick off the top of my head, but the tsr list has others listed too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide . Don't worry too much about it - ace your entrance exam(s) and get work experience, that's more important than A levels.

Thanks for replying! Is that for the graduate level entry rather than the normal undergraduate entry? Its just that I hear that it is very competitive and so would be worried that I wouldnt get onto it!
Original post by Jamiepvfc
Thanks for replying! Is that for the graduate level entry rather than the normal undergraduate entry? Its just that I hear that it is very competitive and so would be worried that I wouldnt get onto it!

The funding situation is pretty bleak for medicine as a second degree. It's worth the additional competition to be eligible for tuition fee loans.

The difference is having to find 36 grand for a 5 year course (at present the NHS fund year 5, but the bursary situation is precarious under this government) VS paying 3.5 grand for the 4 year route with a loan available for 5.5 grand each year and a 3.5 grand NHS bursary in years 2-4. You will need a really strong UKCAT or GAMSAT but it's not a futile exercise.

Getting a first will help at some unis as it's combined with ukcat score in a points system but even with a 2:1 you have a decent shot at quite a few options.
Reply 4
Original post by Quilverine
The funding situation is pretty bleak for medicine as a second degree. It's worth the additional competition to be eligible for tuition fee loans.

The difference is having to find 36 grand for a 5 year course (at present the NHS fund year 5, but the bursary situation is precarious under this government) VS paying 3.5 grand for the 4 year route with a loan available for 5.5 grand each year and a 3.5 grand NHS bursary in years 2-4. You will need a really strong UKCAT or GAMSAT but it's not a futile exercise.

Getting a first will help at some unis as it's combined with ukcat score in a points system but even with a 2:1 you have a decent shot at quite a few options.

Luckily I have some inhertiance money which would be able to pay for the 5 year course, so its still an option for me luckily if its a degree that I really want to do!

Im just going to email various universities to see their stance on me not having a chemistry A level, so hopefully it wont be too much of a problem! Im sure there are ways around it.
Reply 5
Hi everyone!

I currently do sport science and physiology, and I will have finished it by next year and am contemplating doing medicine as a second degree as I have realised that the health care side of things is what I want to do in life.

I am expected to get a first degree in this, and the course is very heavily physiology and biology based. For GCSE's I got all A's (Only 1 A*), and for A levels I got A*,A,B,B. I got my A in biology, but I did not do chemistry for A level which I know is a major requirement for most unis. However I have done biochemistry modules at university so do you think they would overlook me not doing chemistry at A levels?

Thanks alot!

There are universities out there that consider non-science background applicants so I wouldn't say you are at a disadvantage at all. Plus your degree is relevant and graduates are becoming very popular in medicine. Just email the unis you want to apply to directly and get them to clarify your chance of getting in. If you get work experience too I would say you honestly have a great shot at it! And start looking into your UKCAT as soon as the registration date comes around
Reply 6
Original post by Oak16
There are universities out there that consider non-science background applicants so I wouldn't say you are at a disadvantage at all. Plus your degree is relevant and graduates are becoming very popular in medicine. Just email the unis you want to apply to directly and get them to clarify your chance of getting in. If you get work experience too I would say you honestly have a great shot at it! And start looking into your UKCAT as soon as the registration date comes around

I was also a bit worried about my lack of clinical experience if Im honest. I emailed the hospital today but I am not hopeful as I expect that they will be full already. But for a back up I can always work in charity shops, care homes etc.

I have some good experience such as teaching young children trampolining, working as a student ambassador at the uni I am at now, this summer I am volunteering and teaching english in Peru for a month, so I feel like this is all relevant?
Reply 7
I was also a bit worried about my lack of clinical experience if Im honest. I emailed the hospital today but I am not hopeful as I expect that they will be full already. But for a back up I can always work in charity shops, care homes etc.

I have some good experience such as teaching young children trampolining, working as a student ambassador at the uni I am at now, this summer I am volunteering and teaching english in Peru for a month, so I feel like this is all relevant?

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. I had a weeks work experience in a hospital too - best of luck getting in! Just ask around as much as you can. You should consider Queen's in Belfast. Their UKCAT requirements aren't that demanding especially if you have a first or 2:1 - in which case you are awarded full academic points.
Reply 8

Have a read at their admissions statement for this years' entry :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Oak16
Have a read at their admissions statement for this years' entry :smile:

Thank you! I did scroll down on that document and I think it says you still need chemistry at A level!

The only university that I can see is Newcastle and Durham that definetly do not require chemistry.
Durham is a really good 5 year course to apply to. I just got an offer there as a graduate with no science a level subjects. I picked it stragically because it has the lowest applicant to offer ratio by quite a long way!
Reply 11
Thank you! I did scroll down on that document and I think it says you still need chemistry at A level!

The only university that I can see is Newcastle and Durham that definetly do not require chemistry.

I've also heard that both Newcastle and Durham are really great places to study medicine! Just bear in mind their UKCAT cut-off scores, which were fairly high as of recent years.
Reply 12
Original post by Medicnohoperno.9
Durham is a really good 5 year course to apply to. I just got an offer there as a graduate with no science a level subjects. I picked it stragically because it has the lowest applicant to offer ratio by quite a long way!

Wow! Well done! Is that at the Stockton campus for the full 5 years?
Reply 13
Original post by Amedic
I've also heard that both Newcastle and Durham are really great places to study medicine! Just bear in mind their UKCAT cut-off scores, which were fairly high as of recent years.

I'm so determined to study medicine so I would do everything in my power to practice and get the best mark I could! Do you do medicine and if so where do you study? :smile:
Warwick, Swansea and Georges don't require Chemistry and Barts will look at your transcript to see if enough of your degree is sufficient for meeting bio/chem components. Barts accepted my healthcare related degree. If you like the look of somewhere just send your transcript to admissions and see what they say. Kings rejected mine as they wanted a proper lab science rather than professional degree but still worth a shot there too.
Reply 15
I'm so determined to study medicine so I would do everything in my power to practice and get the best mark I could! Do you do medicine and if so where do you study? :smile:

Im currently an offer holder for medicine, so hoping to start next year. Keep up the determination, and best of luck :smile: pm me if you have any questions and I will try my best to help!
Wow! Well done! Is that at the Stockton campus for the full 5 years?

Stockton for the first two years, then you join the Newcastle course for the final 3(/4 if you're intercalating). BUT (and it's a big but) it looks like it might be moving to the actual city of Durham in the very near future - http://www.palatinate.org.uk/working-group-recommend-queens-campus-colleges-and-courses-to-begin-relocation-to-durham-city-beginning-september-2017/

Quick Reply

Latest