The Student Room Group

PhD advice... Cam vs UCL

Deciding between cambridge and UCL any help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Slide100

Have you scoured the departmental website at UCL to see if there is a student there you can contact and ask? I've done my PhD at Cam and worked at UCL, so not exactly the same as you, but I know both environments. I'd say all academic things being equal, it depends on your money management and the environment you'd enjoy most. Although there are plenty of free things to do in London, you still have to get to them, and walking/cycling in Cam is still much easier than it is in London, and everything is more spread out in London than it is in Cam. Do you need peace and quiet and green space? green sports on tap? pubs and clubs that aren't full of students?

Can you speak to the accommodation team at UCL and take a look at the areas most students live? I think your best bet would be to try and make contact with a current UCL PhD student and get info from them
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Have you scoured the departmental website at UCL to see if there is a student there you can contact and ask? I've done my PhD at Cam and worked at UCL, so not exactly the same as you, but I know both environments. I'd say all academic things being equal, it depends on your money management and the environment you'd enjoy most. Although there are plenty of free things to do in London, you still have to get to them, and walking/cycling in Cam is still much easier than it is in London, and everything is more spread out in London than it is in Cam. Do you need peace and quiet and green space? green sports on tap? pubs and clubs that aren't full of students?

Can you speak to the accommodation team at UCL and take a look at the areas most students live? I think your best bet would be to try and make contact with a current UCL PhD student and get info from them

Thanks thats really helpful! Yeah I will do that and try and speak to some current students :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending