The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Completely normal - home testing kits are as good as and possibly even better than the cheap job lots that GPs have for urine testing which are just for emergency situations to diagnose pregnancy like someone with abdo pain where it could be an ectopic pregnancy. Blood tests are for monitoring in complex situations like suspected ectopics/molars/tumours/miscarriages rather than just confirming a urine test.

Unless you're on regular medication that might cause issues in pregnancy or have other health issues no need to see a GP.

Check the NHS website pages for advice on supplements, foods to avoid & alcohol/smoking etc. before you see the Midwife.
Original post by Anonymous
Completely normal - home testing kits are as good as and possibly even better than the cheap job lots that GPs have for urine testing which are just for emergency situations to diagnose pregnancy like someone with abdo pain where it could be an ectopic pregnancy. Blood tests are for monitoring in complex situations like suspected ectopics/molars/tumours/miscarriages rather than just confirming a urine test.

Unless you're on regular medication that might cause issues in pregnancy or have other health issues no need to see a GP.

Check the NHS website pages for advice on supplements, foods to avoid & alcohol/smoking etc. before you see the Midwife.

Yep- Started on folic acid, and taking iron supplement as I am absolutely exhausted right now. I'm off work this week and ended up falling asleep on the sofa this morning for 3 hours!

It's so easy to google every little twinge or something different and see if this is pregnancy or something else!
The Tuesday is day of my booked induction! :facepalm:

If it's a Sonographer based unit then will probably go ahead but if they're using Clinical Fellows/Staff Grades/Consultants then I'm OK with them being rescheduled as they get redeployed to Labour Ward... ;-)

Fair enough, I think that might be a slightly higher level of concern!
Anonymous
Actually i have a got a question!

I called my GP surgery after getting my BFP and they told me to go in and fill in a maternity pack and see a midwife. I was a bit surprised I wasn't told to see my GP before being referred to a midwife and they were just going off what my home tests said?

Is this a normal process? Kind of want to ask to see a GP really to get it extra confirmed by them via blood/urine instead of asda own brand!

Congratulations! As has been said, GPs don't have any magic more sensitive tests than supermarket-bought ones, so they don't usually see any need to confirm the pregnancy once you've tested positive, and some places have a system of direct referrals to midwives so you only ever need to see the GP if there are problems. Fingers crossed for a smooth time!
Hi Everyone,

Posting anonymously as I've not told work yet! I'm exactly 5 weeks today, EDD 24/11/2016.

First time mum, terrified but omg so exciting! Still waiting for morning sickness to set in, don't quite 'feel' pregnant really other than a line on a test! Boobs have been tender since around 10dpo and I've been feeling quite bloated today, plus some very weird vivid dreams!

Fingers crossed I get away with the nausea! haha

Congratulations :smile:
Just had two separate appointment letters from the hospital - one for a GTT which is unfortunately on my birthday. :frown: It says in the letter that after the first sample/sugary drink, you are "asked to sit and wait" for 2 hours. Do you reckon they'll let me go back to work in that time and come back for the second test? It's a bit different asking to nip out for a couple of 15-minute stints than asking for essentially the whole morning off!

Also had a letter for a consultant obstetrician appointment, fortunately with one of the ones I like and trust, but I've not really any idea why I'm seeing him :s:
Original post by Helenia
Just had two separate appointment letters from the hospital - one for a GTT which is unfortunately on my birthday. :frown: It says in the letter that after the first sample/sugary drink, you are "asked to sit and wait" for 2 hours. Do you reckon they'll let me go back to work in that time and come back for the second test? It's a bit different asking to nip out for a couple of 15-minute stints than asking for essentially the whole morning off!

Also had a letter for a consultant obstetrician appointment, fortunately with one of the ones I like and trust, but I've not really any idea why I'm seeing him :s:

It'll artificially lower your results if you do too much in the 2hrs - mine was explicit minimal activity in that time or you'll be boosting your metabolism... So i sat & read & participated in some pre eclampsia research where they did carotid dopplers & ECGs - captive audience!

Check any "high risk" tick boxes on your booking appt? I would've been referred to Consultant for BMI 31 I think had I not been Consultant lead anyway.
It'll artificially lower your results if you do too much in the 2hrs - mine was explicit minimal activity in that time or you'll be boosting your metabolism... So i sat & read & participated in some pre eclampsia research where they did carotid dopplers & ECGs - captive audience!

Check any "high risk" tick boxes on your booking appt? I would've been referred to Consultant for BMI 31 I think had I not been Consultant lead anyway.

I'd be in theatre, so not excessive activity but probably a bit more than minimal (depends how slow the surgeon is :colone: ) Might try to change the test date to an off day.

I think our BMI cutoff for consultant care is 35, but I'm not totally sure (>40 gets you an anaesthetic review). It's probably the Clomid otherwise - or mw doing it "to be on the safe side" for a pesky doctor-patient!
So the issue of birthday GTT has been resolved - it's now tomorrow! My random glucose on booking bloods was 7.9 (v soon post-breakfast) so it's been brought forward. Had HbA1c checked yesterday which was normal, so fingers crossed it was just a blip.
Original post by Helenia
So the issue of birthday GTT has been resolved - it's now tomorrow! My random glucose on booking bloods was 7.9 (v soon post-breakfast) so it's been brought forward. Had HbA1c checked yesterday which was normal, so fingers crossed it was just a blip.

Hi, I posted this somewhere else but wanted some more professional advice.
I had sex on the 19th March, he didn't ejaculate but it was unprotected. My period was due on the 24th March. It didn't come and I'm freaking out a little bit because I have never missed a period before. Around the 26th March, I had what felt like strong period pains that woke me up from sleep. I was certain my period was starting so I went to put on a pad before going back to sleep. I woke up and I still hadn't started. Since then, I've had some minor cramping that resemble PMS as well as sensitive nipples which also resemble PMS. Other than that, I've not noticed any other changes in my body. It's the 31st and I'm now a week late. Should I be worried? Is pregnancy even possible so late in my cycle? I have done some research about other reasons for a missed/late period and none of them apply to me. I have never taken any form of contraception. (Silly I know, but I didn't think pregnancy would occur because my period was due soon after) Wouldn't I have already ovulated? I'm at a loss here, I don't know when or if I should test.

Thank you for reading.
Hi, I posted this somewhere else but wanted some more professional advice.
I had sex on the 19th March, he didn't ejaculate but it was unprotected. My period was due on the 24th March. It didn't come and I'm freaking out a little bit because I have never missed a period before. Around the 26th March, I had what felt like strong period pains that woke me up from sleep. I was certain my period was starting so I went to put on a pad before going back to sleep. I woke up and I still hadn't started. Since then, I've had some minor cramping that resemble PMS as well as sensitive nipples which also resemble PMS. Other than that, I've not noticed any other changes in my body. It's the 31st and I'm now a week late. Should I be worried? Is pregnancy even possible so late in my cycle? I have done some research about other reasons for a missed/late period and none of them apply to me. I have never taken any form of contraception. (Silly I know, but I didn't think pregnancy would occur because my period was due soon after) Wouldn't I have already ovulated? I'm at a loss here, I don't know when or if I should test.

Thank you for reading.

You can get pregnant at any time in your cycle. You best bet is to take a pregnancy test :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lascelles
You can get pregnant at any time in your cycle. You best bet is to take a pregnancy test :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, and when is the best time to take a test?
I have never taken any form of contraception. (Silly I know, but I didn't think pregnancy would occur because my period was due soon after) Wouldn't I have already ovulated? I'm at a loss here, I don't know when or if I should test.

If you have sex then you could get pregnant - much more likely if not using contraception. For typical use of the "rhythm method" (avoiding sex on likely fertile days) then 13 couples of 100 in a year will still get pregnant...

If you have regular periods then a pregnancy test is reliable from the day the period is due and anytime afterwards.

If you don't have regular periods/use contraception where you erratically bleed or withdrawal bleed/took emergency contraception/had weird light bleeding that wasn't a normal period etc. then a test done 3 weeks after the intercourse would be reliable.

You've had unprotected sex and your period is late - why wouldn't you take a test? You can get them in poundland etc. or order online. & hopefully put your mind at rest.

All advice on H&R is unprofessional etc..!
Original post by Helenia

Can you rest inbetween? Are you due any other bloods again yet - remind them to do at same time to save a needle if so!
Yeah, clomid might tick a mildly assisted conception box & trigger consultant review.

34/40 tomorrow :eek:
Midwife was reassuring that she thinks there'll be decent enough Consultant-led-care planning not to change my induction date from the week of the junior doctor strike so going to try to hold my nerve for that at 37+4...
BUT 60% of twins arrive before 37 weeks so could be anytime now - paranoid with every twinge... Couldn't stay in denial any longer so double pram/bedside cot assembled, supplies purchased & bags packed!
If you have sex then you could get pregnant - much more likely if not using contraception. For typical use of the "rhythm method" (avoiding sex on likely fertile days) then 13 couples of 100 in a year will still get pregnant...

If you have regular periods then a pregnancy test is reliable from the day the period is due and anytime afterwards.

If you don't have regular periods/use contraception where you erratically bleed or withdrawal bleed/took emergency contraception/had weird light bleeding that wasn't a normal period etc. then a test done 3 weeks after the intercourse would be reliable.

You've had unprotected sex and your period is late - why wouldn't you take a test? You can get them in poundland etc. or order online. & hopefully put your mind at rest.

All advice on H&R is unprofessional etc..!

Thank you, very informative.
The reason why I have yet to take a test is because I thought it was too early. It will be two weeks on Saturday since I had unprotected sex so I thought that would be an appropriate time to test, no?
The reason why I have yet to take a test is because I thought it was too early. It will be two weeks on Saturday since I had unprotected sex so I thought that would be an appropriate time to test, no?

After a regular period is due or 3 weeks from unprotected sex to be sure the result is reliable.

Although now or Saturday or Saturday then 3 weeks after to be absolutely sure doesn't make much difference... tests normally come in packs of 2.

That's probably sensible, as if you test too early you'll just worry that it could be a false negative. It's easy to imagine yourself into early pregnancy symptoms, and though it's unlikely you're pregnant if he didn't ejaculate, it's still theoretically a possibility. Make sure you get some more reliable contraception (i.e. SOME contraception) not to mention STI protection sorted out before next time. Also, no need to waste money on fancy clearblue digitals or anything - Boots/Superdrug own brand are just as reliable.

Anonymous
Can you rest inbetween? Are you due any other bloods again yet - remind them to do at same time to save a needle if so!
Yeah, clomid might tick a mildly assisted conception box & trigger consultant review.

I'm actually starting nights tomorrow, so not working in the daytime, so I shall take my Kindle and sit and do nothing!

34/40 tomorrow :eek:
Midwife was reassuring that she thinks there'll be decent enough Consultant-led-care planning not to change my induction date from the week of the junior doctor strike so going to try to hold my nerve for that at 37+4...
BUT 60% of twins arrive before 37 weeks so could be anytime now - paranoid with every twinge... Couldn't stay in denial any longer so double pram/bedside cot assembled, supplies purchased & bags packed!

So soon!

Do people generally know it is twins?
Original post by randdom
So soon!

Do people generally know it is twins?

No! :ninjagirl: Although we told immediate family at 24/40 then the prospective Great-Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles at 32/40 to avoid heart attacks!

Other than that just our childminder & one friend because they're on our going into labour childcare contingency plan so wanted to explain why I need to get to hospital ASAP & prem likelihood is high... Also latter just got a neonatal grid reg position so wanted to pick her brains on the birth plan from baby perspective! & you guys, of course, anonymously, ahem... :biggrin:
No! :ninjagirl: Although we told immediate family at 24/40 then the prospective Great-Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles at 32/40 to avoid heart attacks!

Other than that just our childminder & one friend because they're on our going into labour childcare contingency plan so wanted to explain why I need to get to hospital ASAP & prem likelihood is high... Also latter just got a neonatal grid reg position so wanted to pick her brains on the birth plan from baby perspective! & you guys, of course, anonymously, ahem... :biggrin:

That is going to be an amazing surprise!

Have you seen this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggXJ5G8JCt8
6w3d today and I officially feel preggers...

why?

:dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing morning sickness has arrived with vengeance. I've probably had the easiest time so far other than a bit of sleepiness but today...noooope.

Sunday is spent today on the sofa sucking on ginger biscuits and watching kardashians!

Quick Reply

Latest