The Student Room Group

Obesity is a disease?

Scroll to see replies

So the dictionary says

Main Entry: dis·ease Pronunciation: \diz-ˈēz\Function: noun : an impairment of the normal state of the living animal or plant body or one of its parts that interrupts or modifies the performance of the vital functions, is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms, and is a response to environmental factors (as malnutrition, industrial hazards, or climate), to specific infective agents (as worms, bacteria, or viruses), to inherent defects of the organism (as genetic anomalies), or to combinations of these factors

disease [dĭ-zēz´] a definite pathological process having a characteristic set of signs and symptoms. It may affect the whole body or any of its parts, and its etiology, pathology, and prognosis may be known or unknown.

disease /dis·ease/ (dĭ-zēz´) any deviation from or interruption of the normal structure or function of any body part, organ, or system that is manifested by a characteristic set of symptoms and signs and whose etiology, pathology, and prognosis may be known or unknown.

If malnutrition cpounts, then obesity must as well. The problem is not whether its a disease, but the fact it is self inflicted and preventable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by C-rated
The day I can catch extremely high cholesterol off of someone is the day obesity should count as a disease

Cancer isn't a disease because you can't catch it
#logic
Original post by 999tigger

Spoiler

My thoughts precisely.

If malnutrition counts, then obesity must as well.
You cnat know ehether its in or out till you know the definition i.e what a diease is. Not a Dr, so can only go on logic. It fits all those definitions as far as im aware. Whether its self inflicted or caught (some of the reaons people say no) is irrelevant for the definition.
The Dictionary
: a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms

I'd suggest that this does indeed apply to obesity.

It impairs your body from functioning properly, and has quite obvious distinguishing signs.
Reply 25
Original post by Zargabaath
Cancer isn't a disease because you can't catch it
#logic

Do kindly learn to read through a thread before making sarcastic remarks
it's like saying "watching too much television" is a disease...
Original post by the bear

Nope that would be an activity.
Reply 28
Whether its a disease or not what should be done? if its classified as a disease can people seek treatment or should it have the same stigma of smoking?
No it's not ... It's not even a disability in my opinion .... it's disgusting people can get themselves into a state like that
Reply 30
Original post by the bear

An interesting opinion from a 200 pound bear..
I've been slim all of my life but because of the medication I'm on I ended up putting on weight and having PCOS and that has nothing to do with not excercising enough or being lazy.
It's a disease, it's the dictionary definition of one. It would be like not classifying alcoholism as a disease
Reply 33
Original post by Indieboohoo1
I've been slim all of my life but because of the medication I'm on I ended up putting on weight and having PCOS and that has nothing to do with not exercising enough or being lazy.

At last some balance to the argument! What do you think of people who get obese due to not exercising or being lazy though?
Original post by neb789
At last some balance to the argument! What do you think of people who get obese due to not exercising or being lazy though?

Well it's their problem really whether they are thinking about their health but I can understand why it can't be easy. I used to think that they were lazy but after gaining weight and trying to loss it, it's very difficult but I have other problems that's why I can't lose it and need medication to help with it. Some people are just not motivated to lose weight maybe because of embarrassment but they shouldn't be treated like they have a disease. There is so much stigma attached to being overweight because of the standard of beauty society has. Sorry for rambling.
I have a relative who used to be in the navy. He somehow managed to sue them because of something in relation to his weight causing problems. He's an adult and surely can manage stuff like this? I've been at his house on a Sunday afternoon and he's just sat there drinking cider in the way I drink water. It's very difficult to have sympathy for people like him who quite clearly can't be bothered to do anything about their weight, apart from just make their problems worse.
Reply 36
Original post by Tiger Rag
I have a relative who used to be in the navy. He somehow managed to sue them because of something in relation to his weight causing problems. He's an adult and surely can manage stuff like this? I've been at his house on a Sunday afternoon and he's just sat there drinking cider in the way I drink water. It's very difficult to have sympathy for people like him who quite clearly can't be bothered to do anything about their weight, apart from just make their problems worse.

Exactly...
Reply 37
Original post by Indieboohoo1
Well it's their problem really whether they are thinking about their health but I can understand why it can't be easy. I used to think that they were lazy but after gaining weight and trying to loss it, it's very difficult but I have other problems that's why I can't lose it and need medication to help with it. Some people are just not motivated to lose weight maybe because of embarrassment but they shouldn't be treated like they have a disease. There is so much stigma attached to being overweight because of the standard of beauty society has. Sorry for rambling.

What should be done about the standard of beauty then?
Original post by neb789
What should be done about the standard of beauty then?

Maybe more people of different sizes should be shown more positively in the media.
Original post by thefatone
no because obesity is a ****ing life choice, for example you don't choose your genetics, so if you're born with a disease then yes, that's a disease, but a life choice which most people choose themselves is not called a disease, it's called no willpower idiocy and foolishness.

Eidt: sorry for rant, i hate it when people think obesity is a disease and needs to be treated as a disease.

This annoys the hell out of me. I am overweight, i have spent half my life on diets, (some even causing me to be ill) i have restricted calorie intake almost to a level where i was on about 500 calories a day, i have eaten healthy and exercise

Yet despitecthis i struggle to lose any weight, and in fact in the last year i have been diagnosed with an illness and as part if it it means not only am i more likely to gain weight, but it is also harder for me to lose it.

So no obesity is NOT a life choice

Though i personally wouldnt say it was a disease either

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest