The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Best en-suite hall to go for?

Was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the ensuite halls, pros and cons?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
I was in William Morris, I had an ensuite but not all rooms do. Pros: big sociable hall, very friendly, easy to make friends, nice rooms, large kitchen, self catered. 30 second walk to union, based off campus but is literally across a small road from the campus gates so not really off campus. Cons: can be noisy at all hours of the night. Overall, I would recommend this hall I had an amazing fresher year here :smile:
Original post by Maim56
Was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the ensuite halls, pros and cons?

Thank you :smile:

Hi Maim58

Let us know if you have any specific questions about studying or living here at Loughborough :smile:

Amy
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TheodoraRose
I was in William Morris, I had an ensuite but not all rooms do. Pros: big sociable hall, very friendly, easy to make friends, nice rooms, large kitchen, self catered. 30 second walk to union, based off campus but is literally across a small road from the campus gates so not really off campus. Cons: can be noisy at all hours of the night. Overall, I would recommend this hall I had an amazing fresher year here :smile:

Thank you so much for the reply! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Maim58

Let us know if you have any specific questions about studying or living here at Loughborough :smile:

Amy

Hi there!

Thank you for the reply! I just wanted to hear other people's experiences with the different ensuite halls :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Butler Court offers shared ensuite or large/deluxe ensuite.

Pros
- For your use only
- Always have access to a shower/toilet
- Don't have to walk out your room to go toilet
- People don't use or take your stuff.

Cons
-Normally slightly more expensive to have an ensuite
-Cleaner cleans toilet less regularly then a shared toilet (every week or every other week)
Reply 8
Thanks! What would you say makes butler court stand out from the other ensuite halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not currently at L'Boro but I'll be there in September

I went with Rigg-Rutt (Hazlerigg - Rutland) :smile:
Original post by Maim56
Hi there!

Thank you for the reply! I just wanted to hear other people's experiences with the different ensuite halls :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:
Reply 11
I was looking at the hall fees, does anyone know what hall subs are?
Original post by Kieran1996
Not currently at L'Boro but I'll be there in September

I went with Rigg-Rutt (Hazlerigg - Rutland) :smile:

Looking to go there too! Looks pretty good
Original post by HarrisxK
Looking to go there too! Looks pretty good

Yup, it's a tad expensive but after first year I'll probably rent in the town so I don't really mind
Hazlerigg-Rutland, Robert Bakewell, Elvyn Richards and John Phillips are all built very similarly and are central on campus. I know that Bakewell and Elvyn definitely have en-suite bathrooms, and I strongly suspect that the other two do as well because of the similarities in construction. I personally lived in Bakewell myself, and these halls do have a few slight differences so it's worth checking them out. Their en-suites are quite small but perfectly usable - they more of a 'wet-room' in that the shower, toilet and sink are all in the same tile-floored room with a dividing shower curtain. A definite pro of these halls is their location, as they are very central and it is easy to get to most lectures from here (especially engineering, physics and the library at the Bakewell end; and computer science and chemistry at the JP end). These do tend to be a bit more expensive, but are still worth considering.

Things to watch out for:
- Elvyn is a catered hall, the others (I believe) are self-catered. Self-catering isn't the end of the world if you can't cook, as you can buy Diners+ meals for your student card, which work in any Imago-run eating place on campus (most of them). Bear in mind that being in a catered hall means you have paid for every included meal in advance: you don't get refunds if you skip a meal.
- JP was previously a postgraduate and international student hall. I believe they are changing their focus to undergraduates now, but this still may not exactly be place for party animals.
- I felt that Elvyn and Bakewell (at least when I was there) felt a little more isolating then some of the other halls, like Bill Mo. I suspect this comes entirely down to who lives where in a particular year and can be very luck-of-the-draw.

~ Chris ~
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply