The Student Room Group

Mixed race relationships how did your family react?

Mixed race relationships like white girl/guy black girl/guy Asian girl/guy etc how did your relationship work and how did your family treat your partner of a different race? You can answer if your parents are different races too. :smile: How did people on the street act etc.

Scroll to see replies

My mum was flexible with me liking girls outside my race.:tongue:

Especially since I am mixed raced myself.

So it was all good, It's just when it concerned religion that my family would disapprove.
Original post by Sir Faboloso
My mum was flexible with me liking girls outside my race.:tongue:

Especially since I am mixed raced myself.

So it was all good, It's just when it concerned religion that my family would disapprove.

What race are your parents?
Original post by Indieboohoo1

I am Moroccan/Indian.:tongue:

Indian mums are strict and rather conservative when it comes to dating, but my mum is loosey goosey with it.

When my sister dated this Brazilian dude, she embraced him into her home. It's only when she found out he was Atheist that she shut him down before he even had the chance to properly introduce himself.

But otherwise my dad is really nonchalant.

Why, are you mixed race as well?:tongue:
I am not white and I dated a girl who was white, my parents didnt say anything about it. My parents are both not white either but they are not the same.

It wouldn't be expected for me to date a girl who was 'like' me as there's not many girls like me.
Mixed race relationships like white girl/guy black girl/guy Asian girl/guy etc how did your relationship work and how did your family treat your partner of a different race? You can answer if your parents are different races too. :smile: How did people on the street act etc.

I'm black, my boyfriend is white
Tbh they cared more that he was a respectable individual who had something going for him than his race.
Yes cultural differences but that can quite easily be addressed so no they didn't care really
Main thing was that my family are Christian and he's not - but that could be with any race so
[QUOTE=Sir Faboloso;63797277]Why, are you mixed race as well?:tongue:

My dad's Italian and my mum's Irish/English I don't know if that makes me mixed race I'm white in complexion. But I like guys of other races.
Original post by Dinasaurus
I am not white and I dated a girl who was white, my parents didnt say anything about it. My parents are both not white either but they are not the same.

It wouldn't be expected for me to date a girl who was 'like' me as there's not many girls like me.

What race are you if you don't mind me asking?
What race are you if you don't mind me asking?

My mums like "mainly" black (my grandma is like part Indian) and my dad mixed Asian and White.
[QUOTE=tcameron;63797405]I'm black, my boyfriend is white
Tbh they cared more that he was a respectable individual who had something going for him than his race.
Yes cultural differences but that can quite easily be addressed so no they didn't care really
Main thing was that my family are Christian and he's not - but that could be with any race so

Did they mind that he wasn't a Christian?
Did they mind that he wasn't a Christian?

Yeah, but I have got him going to church occasionally so they're accepting of him now
It was quite a shock. No one expected the 100m to do that with the 800m.
Original post by similarBlank
It was quite a shock. No one expected the 100m to do that with the 800m.

What :lolwut:
Reply 14
Man it's a shame race in dating is still a thing at this day and age.

My dad's Italian and my mum's Irish/English I don't know if that makes me mixed race I'm white in complexion. But I like guys of other races.

Technically you probably have some mixed raced genes but you are not really classified as mixed race. You're still white basically.

Tbh I don't really get people who don't like people of different races or of their own race. Everybody is individual and people should look at them as an individual.
My parents don't care because they are White (Mum) and black (Dad).

My boyfriends parents don't seem to care I'm not white either. His mum bought me a birthday present and an Easter egg so that's a good sign. His mum is Bulgarian, so I think she'd prefer it if my boyfriend dated/married a Bulgarian but it's unlikely he will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a mixed race GF for a while when I was 15. My mum didn't care because she isn't a moron.

TBH my mum was very cool about me and girls - she never cared when we had sex in the house etc.
Reply 17
My dad was cool with my white/Czech boyfriend. Whether I date women or men, white or black, as long as I'm happy, he's fine.

I'm not sure how my mom's side of the family/friends/paternal relatives back home will take it. Lots of racial tension where I come from. Back when I had Facebook, someone actually un-friended me and told me that they felt "sorry" for me for having a white boyfriend...

My family is black.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
i brought home a middle eastern guy once, my mum and stepdad were all over him saying how fit he was it was pretty funny.
Reply 19
my mums sister who is south asain married a black guy and my mum (south asain) married a white guy (not my dad) and my grandparents didnt care as long he was the same religion :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending