The Student Room Group

Sponsorship from a company ?

Is it possible to get a company to pay a bit of money towards your tuition fees and get a job after you graduate ? I heard stories of it happening but I'm not sure where I could look for such opportunities. Any ideas ?
Thinking of comp sci
Reply 1
anyone has any ideas ?
I thought it was mostly the army that did that? Haven't heard of other places doing it
Reply 3
Original post by Jackieox
I thought it was mostly the army that did that? Haven't heard of other places doing it

I actually heard of a private company doing in the uk. It must be really rare
Original post by CountTesla
I actually heard of a private company doing in the uk. It must be really rare

I guess it's too risky. Like yeah they could pay but theres no guarantee you'll get a good degree out of it, it's alot of money to invent in someone...
Reply 5
Is it possible to get a company to pay a bit of money towards your tuition fees and get a job after you graduate ? I heard stories of it happening but I'm not sure where I could look for such opportunities. Any ideas ?
Thinking of comp sci

I actually got an email about this exact thing from a lrogramme called InternFirst, it sadly didn't suit me as I'm applying for Chemistry but here is the email

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by KaylaB
I actually got an email about this exact thing from a lrogramme called InternFirst, it sadly didn't suit me as I'm applying for Chemistry but here is the email

Spoiler

Is a real thing ? Not a scam hehe :smile:
Reply 7
Thought I might share what Southampton Uni told us on open days (Electronic Engineering btw):

It's very rare to have a company sponsor you entirely through uni. However, they regularly place students in companies for summer placements (12 weeks or so), and they can come out of that - even with 3 years of the degree left - with huge sponsorships if they agree to work at their company after they graduate.
Reply 8

It does look rather scam-like, not going to lie :holmes:
Reply 9
Original post by Alexion
Thought I might share what Southampton Uni told us on open days (Electronic Engineering btw):

It's very rare to have a company sponsor you entirely through uni. However, they regularly place students in companies for summer placements (12 weeks or so), and they can come out of that - even with 3 years of the degree left - with huge sponsorships if they agree to work at their company after they graduate.

I'm in year 12 and looking for anything I can find in my field or similar. Do you have any clue how i would go about getting a placement ? I applied for one that is with the nuffield foundation but thats with a Uni.
I'm in year 12 and looking for anything I can find in my field or similar. Do you have any clue how i would go about getting a placement ? I applied for one that is with the nuffield foundation but thats with a Uni.

These are generally organised through the university, and they can make much better use of people who've already completed a year of university. But honestly, the only way to get placements are through organised schemes (I only know local ones) and by contacting and asking companies directly.
Reply 11
I was partly sponsored by Renishaw PLC through two years of my physics undergrad. I applied during my second year and did two summer placements with them working in software engineering, after the first summer they contacted me offering a scholarship to help pay my tuition/living costs and also offered me a graduate job for when I graduate this summer. You would certainly be in with a good chance of getting a sponsorship with a degree in comp sci, my advice would be to try and get work experience with a company, and you'll find that a lot of the larger firms certainly do some kind of student sponsorship.

Hope this helps,
Reply 12
Original post by Alexion
These are generally organised through the university, and they can make much better use of people who've already completed a year of university. But honestly, the only way to get placements are through organised schemes (I only know local ones) and by contacting and asking companies directly.

I tried contacting a few firms but no success yet. So theres close to 0% chance of actually getting that for my first year in uni ?
Reply 13
Original post by phyzard
I was partly sponsored by Renishaw PLC through two years of my physics undergrad. I applied during my second year and did two summer placements with them working in software engineering, after the first summer they contacted me offering a scholarship to help pay my tuition/living costs and also offered me a graduate job for when I graduate this summer. You would certainly be in with a good chance of getting a sponsorship with a degree in comp sci, my advice would be to try and get work experience with a company, and you'll find that a lot of the larger firms certainly do some kind of student sponsorship.

Hope this helps,

Thanks a lot.IS there any chance of getting sponsorship for my first year ? Plus do you know any good companies to get work experience with ? I applied to small local ones in my area but non of them seem to be interested . :afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid:
Reply 14

Original post by Alexion
It does look rather scam-like, not going to lie :holmes:

I can understand where you're coming from, but you can visit their website for info and stuff, they're a company that came in to my 6th form and I met the woman who runs it, do I think it is genuine.
Also, I can't remeber whether or not this was London-specific one of the intern programme things I joined was only for parts of London.
Reply 15
Thanks a lot.IS there any chance of getting sponsorship for my first year ? Plus do you know any good companies to get work experience with ? I applied to small local ones in my area but non of them seem to be interested . :afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid:

I have never personally encountered anyone who came to university with a sponsorship already (outside of those on military funding), however a friend of mine who studies engineering got a £10k scholarship from Ford during our first year, so its certainly possible to get funding once you've started.

As for companies, go onto something like the gradcracker website, they have 100's of companies interested in STEM students, and most offer some kind of scholarship scheme.

For pre-university placements/bursaries I know for a fact that Renishaw have a scheme, but i have no idea what they look for in candidates or how much they pay, but definitely worth a look.
Reply 16
Original post by phyzard
I have never personally encountered anyone who came to university with a sponsorship already (outside of those on military funding), however a friend of mine who studies engineering got a £10k scholarship from Ford during our first year, so its certainly possible to get funding once you've started.

As for companies, go onto something like the gradcracker website, they have 100's of companies interested in STEM students, and most offer some kind of scholarship scheme.

For pre-university placements/bursaries I know for a fact that Renishaw have a scheme, but i have no idea what they look for in candidates or how much they pay, but definitely worth a look.

Just wondering would unis care if i don't have a lot of work experience in the field. I do have some ( 6 months) but non in the field that wont be a disadvantage will it. I'm guessing they will care more about my grades.

Just wondering what are you planning on doing after uni after a physics degree ? I have a few very similar degrees in mind but cant seem to be 100% on one fixed one . Are there good career opportunities after physics ?
I tried contacting a few firms but no success yet. So theres close to 0% chance of actually getting that for my first year in uni ?

It's VERY unlikely, yeah... finding a company that sees you as employable in the future before you've even started your degree would be very impressive.
Reply 18
Just wondering would unis care if i don't have a lot of work experience in the field. I do have some ( 6 months) but non in the field that wont be a disadvantage will it. I'm guessing they will care more about my grades.

Just wondering what are you planning on doing after uni after a physics degree ? I have a few very similar degrees in mind but cant seem to be 100% on one fixed one . Are there good career opportunities after physics ?

I think any experience is useful when applying to university. So I wouldn't worry too much about having the perfect work experience before going, and as you say, grades are far more important.

Personally I am going to do a PhD at Cambridge after I graduate, but there are many career opportunities for physicists: engineering, banking, IT, further research, consulting etc.
Reply 19
Original post by phyzard
I think any experience is useful when applying to university. So I wouldn't worry too much about having the perfect work experience before going, and as you say, grades are far more important.

Personally I am going to do a PhD at Cambridge after I graduate, but there are many career opportunities for physicists: engineering, banking, IT, further research, consulting etc.

PhD at Cambridge ? WOW.

I'm undecided myself between comp sci and mech eng. But still got sometime to go. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending