The Student Room Group

PwC app form q

I'm doing the initial app form for PwC. Tbh, I've done everything actually, it's just the career choice long section bugging me, and even then it's just one q in that section bugging me, and even then it's just one part of the q I'm baffled on :confused::eek: and need help on PLZ PLZ PLZ . Here's the q:

Imagine you are working at PwC. If you could choose an ideal client to advise, who would it be? Your ideal client does not have to be a current client of PwC.
In answering this question please provide us with answers to the following:

Who is your ideal client and what services do they provide?
What services and advice could PwC offer this client?
What commercial/industry issues are affecting this client in the business market that should be taken into account when providing them with advice?

(maximum 500 words)

The first and last part I've already done, using Shell in the Oil and Gas industry as my ideal client. Now, I'm just stuck on the middle part of the q, which I've underlined ^.

The first part of the q, I just chose Shell and and explained why I'm personally interested in it.

The third part of the q, I read the following page and with some other stuff on BBC News and did it.
http://www.strategyand.pwc.com/perspectives/2016-oil-and-gas-trends

I'm SO lost :confused::eek: and puzzled on how to do the 2nd part of the q :mad:. It seems tough and as if they expect you to know inside-out what PwC offers, if u see what I mean. I presume they SOMEHOW expect u to use a combination of following pages, right?

http://www.pwc.com/gx/en/services.html
http://www.strategyand.pwc.com/global/home/what_we_do/industries/oil_gas#/tab-performance-andcapability-management

HUGE THANKS!!!!!: D
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Well think about the different areas that are available i.e. tax, audit, consulting. As it happens I think PwC already hold the audit contract for shell but they recently put it out for tender and will be going to EY. However they will remain the auditer for this year I believe so they will probably be carrying out all the due diligence of the BG group that they are acquiring. I think as well there is some sort of cap in place for the amount that can be earned from non-audit services when they are the active auditer, so after this year the could potentially provide more of these services. Bare in mind I am no expert on this matter I just happen to know a little as I also spoke about shell in my telephone interview.
Reply 2
Original post by Rchilton
Well think about the different areas that are available i.e. tax, audit, consulting. As it happens I think PwC already hold the audit contract for shell but they recently put it out for tender and will be going to EY. However they will remain the auditer for this year I believe so they will probably be carrying out all the due diligence of the BG group that they are acquiring. I think as well there is some sort of cap in place for the amount that can be earned from non-audit services when they are the active auditer, so after this year the could potentially provide more of these services. Bare in mind I am no expert on this matter I just happen to know a little as I also spoke about shell in my telephone interview.

So I'm meant to do a little bit of reading into a few of the other business areas like say Audit and Assurance, Tax and Consulting, get a quick/brief insight into what they do and then mention exactly HOW these services of PwC, along with PwC's Actuarial service, can BENEFIT Shell in particular? I presume I talk slightly more about the Actuarial service line I'll work for compared to the other services, right?. BTW, aside from the Actuarial service to which I'm applying for, how many other PwC business areas am I meant to mention? How few? 2 or 3 or what?

THANK YOU :biggrin:

EDIT:
By services here, do they mean business areas? Sorry for silly q :colondollar:. So like Tax service means Tax business area, Legal service means PwC Legal business area etc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by krisshP

So I'm meant to do a little bit of reading into a few of the other business areas like say Audit and Assurance, Tax and Consulting, get a quick/brief insight into what they do and then mention exactly HOW these services of PwC, along with PwC's Actuarial service, can BENEFIT Shell in particular? I presume I talk slightly more about the Actuarial service line I'll work for compared to the other services, right?. BTW, aside from the Actuarial service to which I'm applying for, how many other PwC business areas am I meant to mention? How few? 2 or 3 or what?

THANK YOU :biggrin:

EDIT:
By services here, do they mean business areas? Sorry for silly q :colondollar:. So like Tax service means Tax business area, Legal service means PwC Legal business area etc?

Well each division of PwC provides a different service, so yes have a look on their website and see what PwC could specifically do to help shell. I wouldn't say you need to talk more in depth about the division you are applying for, what you are trying to showcase is that your having a general understanding of all the services PwC offer. As for the number of divisions im not sure probably depends on your word limit (i dont know why but this wasnt on my application form), i think 2 would do, and just mention that they have been shells auditor for X years. I think it would be best to be specific so rather than saying PwC could provide this service try and relate it to something issue she'll are facing, like the Deals division would be able to advise on any aquisitions/merger (have a look at BG group).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Rchilton
Well each division of PwC provides a different service, so yes have a look on their website and see what PwC could specifically do to help shell. I wouldn't say you need to talk more in depth about the division you are applying for, what you are trying to showcase is that your having a general understanding of all the services PwC offer. As for the number of divisions im not sure probably depends on your word limit (i dont know why but this wasnt on my application form), i think 2 would do, and just mention that they have been shells auditor for X years. I think it would be best to be specific so rather than saying PwC could provide this service try and relate it to something issue she'll are facing, like the Deals division would be able to advise on any aquisitions/merger (have a look at BG group).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I kinda get it now! So they're trying to see if you got a fairly broad overview of what PwC offers, and applying it to Shell, so I don't have to talk immensely on the service line I'm applying to work in. I just pick a few service lines, including the one I'm applying to work in, and I provide all with equal "weighting". Oh I see! Thanks :smile:. BTW, can u plz provide bit more explanation of the last bit u said? My knowledge of Shell's takeover of BG Group is very little, but still isn't the takeover/deal confirmed? :confused: I'm pretty sure I recall hearing on some video that the takeover's done, right?

Thank you BIG time for helping! :biggrin:

EDIT: Do you mean that Deals business area of PwC can provide a review/feedback to Shell to assess whether or not the takeover was a right move? If not, what can be done to fix the issues.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending