The Student Room Group

How many past papers would you say is enough for a module in maths

How many past papers would you say is enough for a module in maths and further maths. Aiming for 95% ums

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Every single past paper that is offered to you considering you want 95% UMS.
Reply 2
Everyone that you can find. Even consider doing papers from other exam boards - that's what I did - even had to learn some stuff just so I could do the other exam boards papers properly.
Original post by Acrux
How many past papers would you say is enough for a module in maths and further maths. Aiming for 95% ums

Spoiler

There is no number that's enough, that's not how it works. You do as much practice as you need to get the grades you want. The sensible thing is to do every paper that's available to you, you certainly have the time for that.
There's no magic number, just do as many as makes you comfortable going into the exam, after a while doing more won't really help you that much (although I would start with the papers where 100ums is not 75/75)
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
There is no number that's enough, that's not how it works. You do as much practice as you need to get the grades you want. The sensible thing is to do every paper that's available to you, you certainly have the time for that.

when would the latest be to start past papers for the high ums
Original post by Acrux

That's a pretty silly question to ask. For some it could be never, like they might not even need to ever start past papers; on the other hand someone might do papers for many months and not get 'high' UMS.
Just make your own judgements, no one else here will be better at making your decisions.
Original post by Acrux

Start as soon as possible.
Reply 8
Original post by Acrux

Spoiler

All of them, and Gold papers, Solomon papers, and IYGB papers. Everything you have available.
All of them. And then extra.
Roughly n papers.
Why don't you ask "how long is a piece of string?"

It could be 20. It could be 5. It's about when you start consistently hitting full UMS.
At least 1

Personally I am aiming to do at least 3 times the number of the module so 9 for Fp3, 6 for M2 and so on.

Original post by Student403
Why don't you ask "how long is a piece of string?"It could be 20. It could be 5. It's about when you start consistently hitting full UMS.

Well not everyone has the same goals :wink:. But I echo this. When it looks like there's no room for improvement then you have done enough in which case you can relax I suppose if you've hit your goal. If you haven't then you should do topic revision and do papers again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
At least 1

Personally I am aiming to do at least 3 times the number of the module so 9 for Fp3, 6 for M1 and so on.

:erm:

EDIT nvm just realised you wrote atleast - I'm silly :biggrin:
Original post by Acrux

Spoiler

Just do whatever it takes, right babe? :smile:

Spoiler

Why don't you ask "how long is a piece of string?"

It could be 20. It could be 5. It's about when you start consistently hitting full UMS.

This. It's not essential to have done every past paper to do well (I certainly didn't) but it all comes down to you and you alone, and at the end of the day you are the best judge of what you need to do.
Original post by samb1234
This. It's not essential to have done every past paper to do well (I certainly didn't) but it all comes down to you and you alone, and at the end of the day you are the best judge of what you need to do.

I don't think I did any C1/C2 (apart from class mock) papers because I was doing C3 C4 that season which made them seem simple. I imagine @Zacken, @Student403 and that crew won't do many A level past papers when they go above and beyond. Or at least they'll concentrate on the later modules.
I don't think I did any C1/C2 (apart from class mock) papers because I was doing C3 C4 that season which made them seem simple. I imagine @Zacken, @Student403 and that crew won't do many A level past papers when they go above and beyond. Or at least they'll concentrate on the later modules.

I think I did the papers where full wasn't 75/75 (or at least some of them) but spent a lot more time on the later modules

This definitely.

I only did about 3 C1 papers and 4 C2 papers - focused my attention on C3 and FP1 which really paid off :yep:
This definitely.

I only did about 3 C1 papers and 4 C2 papers - focused my attention on C3 and FP1 which really paid off :yep:

Spoiler

Op, what you can take away from this aside is that you should determine the modules which require more attention and do more relevant practice. Whether that be exercises or papers.

Quick Reply

Latest