The Student Room Group

Cambridge Summer Schools or Equivalent?

Hello TSR
I was just wondering whether anyone could give me any help with finding a Summer School at Cambridge for History please? I have tried the International Summer School but they said I couldn't go (I am a GCSE student!)
Thanks
Duck
Reply 1
Original post by Duck10101
Hello TSR
I was just wondering whether anyone could give me any help with finding a Summer School at Cambridge for History please? I have tried the International Summer School but they said I couldn't go (I am a GCSE student!)
Thanks
Duck

Sutton Trust (for Y12)

Beware of the privately run "schools", they can be very expensive.
Original post by jneill
Sutton Trust (for Y12)

but is Sutton trust not difficult to get into?
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
Sutton Trust (for Y12)

But isn't Sutton Trust only for people who haven't had someone in their family go to Uni and other factors?
Reply 4
Original post by Duck10101
But isn't Sutton Trust only for people who haven't had someone in their family go to Uni and other factors?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Do you know if there are any others?
I was looking for a Summer School to attend as I really want to go to a summer school for my subject (not necessarily at Cambridge) and to improve my application but most of them cost about 3K !

I hope I get into Sutton Trust Computer Science at Imperial otherwise I dont really have a 'backup plan' :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
I cant actually find ANY to go to! Apparently, a lot of the schools are overpriced ad you dont get the uni professors. You have just gone to a summer school to a stonewall for the LOCATION!
Original post by GarlicBread01
I was looking for a Summer School to attend as I really want to go to a summer school for my subject (not necessarily at Cambridge) and to improve my application but most of them cost about 3K !

I hope I get into Sutton Trust Computer Science at Imperial otherwise I dont really have a 'backup plan' :/
Reply 8

It doesn't.
Original post by jneill
It doesn't.

Our sixth form tutor keeps telling us that we should be applying for these courses/summer schools so we can talk about it on our ucas application. Although If you think I'm considering these £3K courses dont worry, I'm not crazy enough :tongue: At the moment, I've only applied to the Sutton Trust at Imperial.

But why dont you think it helps your application? I mean, it makes sense that it would make you seem more committed and whatnot being able to say you've been studying your subject outside of school, or do admission tutors not really care? What other things do you think would be better to do/apply for?

Thanks for the help
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Our sixth form tutor keeps telling us that we should be applying for these courses/summer schools so we can talk about it on our ucas application. Although If you think I'm considering these £3K courses dont worry, I'm not crazy enough :tongue: At the moment, I've only applied to the Sutton Trust at Imperial.

But why dont you think it helps your application? I mean, it makes sense that it would make you seem more committed and whatnot being able to say you've been studying your subject outside of school, or do admission tutors not really care? What other things do you think would be better to do/apply for?

Thanks for the help

Do free things: attend public lectures. Go to tasters, masterclasses. Online learning (OpenCourseware, Coursera, Edx, iTunes U). Youtube even!
Original post by jneill
Do free things: attend public lectures. Go to tasters, masterclasses. Online learning (OpenCourseware, Coursera, Edx, iTunes U). Youtube even!

I've been to a UCL Lecture before for Quantum computing which was pretty interesting. I'll also see if I could get into any University masterclasses too, is there any websites where I can see all available classes or are they on each specific uni's website?

Sorry for the trouble :tongue:
Reply 12
I've been to a UCL Lecture before for Quantum computing which was pretty interesting. I'll also see if I could get into any University masterclasses too, is there any websites where I can see all available classes or are they on each specific uni's website?

Sorry for the trouble :tongue:

http://www.london.ac.uk/5197.html

https://www.ucas.com/events/exploring-university/learn-about-uni-taster-course

(no trouble at all :smile: )

Thanks for the help

Summer schools are mainly for the student not the application. They'll help you decide if you like the university or the course as much as you thought you might. They won't be decisive for applications because there isn't much space to talk about them (your PS is 3600-4000 characters) and going to a summer school doesn't really show loads of desire to do the course by itself. Plus, there are hundreds of successful applicants who never go on summer schools.

So that's it really. They help you more than they help the application. It doesn't mean they're bad (I've worked on 2 and loved them) but don't worry if you don't get onto one.
So I met an admission officer from Homerton College, Cambridge University and he told me that the summer school Homerton college is offering might be really helpful for my application to Cambridge University as it will show that I am committed to the University and that I really have a desire to study there. Do you guys think that it will be of any significance?
Original post by Tayyabshabbirtsr
So I met an admission officer from Homerton College, Cambridge University and he told me that the summer school Homerton college is offering might be really helpful for my application to Cambridge University as it will show that I am committed to the University and that I really have a desire to study there. Do you guys think that it will be of any significance?

Absolute rubbish IMO.

Unis want to see commitment to the subject, not the university.
Reply 16

Admission officer? Or SLO (School Liason Officer)? Or someone else?

I doubt the actual Admissions Tutor (the correct job title) would say that.

Original post by jamestg
Absolute rubbish IMO.Unis want to see commitment to the subject, not the university.

PRSOM
The guy was a representative of Homerton college(basically only knew about the summer school). He was accompanied by an Undegrad. I met him at a University Fair held by British Council. Im guessing he wasn't an admission tutor because he didn't actually want to talk about anything other than the summer school(which is is free as stated on the website), But he told me that I shouldn't hesitate in applying for the summer school as it would be helpful in my PS etc.
Reply 18
The guy was a representative of Homerton college(basically only knew about the summer school). He was accompanied by an Undegrad. I met him at a University Fair held by British Council. Im guessing he wasn't an admission tutor because he didn't actually want to talk about anything other than the summer school(which is is free as stated on the website), But he told me that I shouldn't hesitate in applying for the summer school as it would be helpful in my PS etc.

As a personal experience it's a good idea. Especially as it's free :smile:

If you can get a place - do it.

But it won't directly help your application.
Original post by jneill
As a personal experience it's a good idea. Especially as it's free :smile:

If you can get a place - do it.

But it won't directly help your application.

Thanks for your help.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending