The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeorgeB16
No my friend, you are the moron. This extract from the Bible states exactly what to do to non believers:

Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Old Testament which was superseded by the New Testament according to Jesus

Posted from TSR Mobile
You kick us out, then the NHS will suffer immeasurably. A lot of the staffing is made up of Asians and Muslims..
Original post by Fatemaaa97
You kick us out, then the NHS will suffer immeasurably. A lot of the staffing is made up of Asians and Muslims..

They can easily be replaced (and don't confuse aisan and Muslim the two are not the same)

It's not like being a Muslim is part of the role now is it.
Original post by BaconandSauce
They can easily be replaced (and don't confuse aisan and Muslim the two are not the same)

It's not like being a Muslim is part of the role now is it.

Yep replace with Indians there is too many doctors there anyway I read

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Old Testament which was superseded by the New Testament according to Jesus

That's not true.

Firstly when Jesus was around there was no such thing as "the New Testament", so it makes no sense for him to have said it supersedes anything.

Secondly in Matthew 5:17 it's reported that he specifically said he did not come to abolish the Torah or the teachings of previous prophets.
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course people don't hate Muslims who are westernised.

Lots of Muslims pretend that this is the case but I point you to the extent of acceptance to hindu's, sikh's and Jews.

So the problem isn't the natives

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tazarooni89
That's not true.

Firstly when Jesus was around there was no such thing as "the New Testament".
Secondly in Matthew 5:17 he specifically says he has not come to abolish the Torah or the teachings of previous prophets.

How many times do I need to go through this.

Basic Christian teaching you will find in the most superficial textbook on Christian theology or within a lecture on it.

You are focusing too much in one word "abolish" and misunderstanding the point of fulfill. Think of the old covenant (the rules God sent before Jesus) like a engagement contract with the agreement to become a more complete and desirable marriage contract. Now you have a couple who agree to be engaged but they also agree not to have sex until they are married. Now the wedding comes and goes and that night the go to bed an have sex. Now would you say they abolished their engagement, that they broke the agreement. No they fulfilled The engagement and now are bound by a different set of rules.

Granted there are less mainstream views like dual covenant theology and other such interpretations but yeah no. The Christians have been debating how the old covenant should influence the new one since it's very foundation.

Take the passage you quote shortly afterward Jesus rattles of list of commands which he comments on and some he even critiques.
Original post by garfeeled
How many times do I need to go through this.

Basic Christian teaching you will find in the most superficial textbook on Christian theology or within a lecture on it.

You are focusing too much in one word "abolish" and misunderstanding the point of fulfill. Think of the old covenant (the rules God sent before Jesus) like a engagement contract with the agreement to become a more complete and desirable marriage contract. Now you have a couple who agree to be engaged but they also agree not to have sex until they are married. Now the wedding comes and goes and that night the go to bed an have sex. Now would you say they abolished their engagement, that they broke the agreement. No they fulfilled The engagement and now are bound by a different set of rules.

Granted there are less mainstream views like dual covenant theology and other such interpretations but yeah no. The Christians have been debating how the old covenant should influence the new one since it's very foundation.

Take the passage you quote shortly afterward Jesus rattles of list of commands which he comments on and some he even critiques.

Correct but old and new covenant are accepted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most muslims are normal though just some
Original post by garfeeled

Why would I be interested in superficial textbooks or lectures if I can read the Bible itself?

I would not say they "abolished" the agreement not to have sex until marriage, they fulfilled it. This is because the agreement was made with an expiry date (i.e. "until marriage"), and they kept the agreement up until that point. At no point did they ever contravene it (even when they had sex afterwards).

I am not aware that the old rules from God had any (now passed) expiry date attached to them at the time they were issued. In fact, what Jesus says is that the Laws must remain intact "until Heaven and Earth disappear". So Christian attempts to "supersede" them already are acts of abolishment rather than fulfilment. Fulfilling (rather than abolishing) an agreement means you have to actually abide by it (until its expiry date if it has one, or otherwise indefinitely).

Jesus is very explicit in what he says. In 5:19 - practise the commandments rather than setting them aside. Although with a lot of mental gymnastics it might be possible to try and make it look like he meant something else, there's always going to be a flaw in such arguments.

I don't see him attempting to "supersede" them though. In fact he adds to them and makes them even more strict. For example, not only may you not commit adultery with a woman, you should not even look at her lustfully. Not only may you not commit murder, you should not even be angry with another person etc. That is why he says your righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees.

In no instance is it a case of "The rules you were told before? Forget it, you don't have to follow them now". He makes them even more compelling than they were before.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 130
Original post by paul514
It's not about kicking all Muslims out the country that's near impossible anyway.

The issue is the culture, people who come to the uk should assimilate and if they don't want to they shouldn't come/allowed to come here.

In simple terms fit in or **** off

Posted from TSR Mobile

So true for anyone. Wherever I go I respect different cultures.
Original post by thomas7861
Sick of seeing everybody targeting muslims? Do you stereotype all white people for the acts of a few? Such as the many wars caused my old white men, I dont think so. The acts of them muslims was disgusting. I think people are very quick to speak , the UK literally couldnt run a week without immgirants. If your family ever becomes ill , I hope you show your true emotions and reject the treatment from an immigrant doctor which is saving there lives, you wouldn't , you like to pick and choose when you hate immigrants. Refugee's are humans also, think if your family ran away from DEATH but greeted by a bunch of racist people. Love everyone!

"the UK literally couldnt run a week without immgirants"
I must call you out on this complete and utter nonsense. It is really about time this myth was allowed to die. The UK survived quite fine for centuries without immigrants.
Original post by Sequin Rugby
"the UK literally couldnt run a week without immgirants"
I must call you out on this complete and utter nonsense. It is really about time this myth was allowed to die. The UK survived quite fine for centuries without immigrants.

long ago, circumstances have changed
Original post by Frank Underwood
long ago, circumstances have changed

Indeed circumstances have changed, the country has been transformed by mass immigration. Nobody wanted it, and it has done irreparable harm to our economy and culture.
Indeed circumstances have changed, the country has been transformed by mass immigration. Nobody wanted it, and it has done irreparable harm to our economy and culture.

There are very few migrants that we can do without and they are in the medical profession usually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
There are very few migrants that we can do without and they are in the medical profession usually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why can't we train our own doctors and nurses? I'll tell you why - NHS salaries are so low that they're all leaving. We do not need immigrants for our health services at all, they're just cheaper, and it's British nurses who are suffering.
Why can't we train our own doctors and nurses? I'll tell you why - NHS salaries are so low that they're all leaving. We do not need immigrants for our health services at all, they're just cheaper, and it's British nurses who are suffering.

We need them as they take up to ten years to train.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Original post by iceberger
was this thread really necessary. I mean seriously, it's like people want a shitstorm

He did get a whole lot of reps

as a healthcare professional, you know pay is bad when some of your colleagues are being paid £10/hour when a few years ago in 2012 they were earning £30/hour
Reply 139
Original post by thomas7861
Sick of seeing everybody targeting Muslims? Do you stereotype all white people for the acts of a few? Such as the many wars caused my old white men, I don't think so. The acts of them Muslims was disgusting. I think people are very quick to speak , the UK literally couldn't run a week without immigrants. If your family ever becomes ill , I hope you show your true emotions and reject the treatment from an immigrant doctor which is saving their lives, you wouldn't , you like to pick and choose when you hate immigrants. Refugee's are humans also, think if your family ran away from DEATH but greeted by a bunch of racist people. Love everyone!

Yes, it would not be a good idea to deport Muslims because of some of the disgusting things a minority have done, as you say we in the UK need them, like doctors and hospital workers. Anyone who thinks that all Muslims should be deported are racists