The Student Room Group

Does rape culture exist? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slade p
These are official stats from police, while your just claiming its flawed so your the one who doesn't have anything to substantiate your claim.

What's evident is that you and others are in denial because it doesn't fit your narrative that it's a problem mainly in other countries when actually it's more common in uk and other western countries.

This is going to be one of those posts to which you needn't reply, so by all means don't bother reading it if you don't want to. However, the reason I'm bothering to write this is for the sake of anyone else who is following this thread.

You have given the exact same arguments in many other threads. They have been proven wrong over and over again.

You attack the U.K because you dislike it when people from here besmirch your homeland. this seems to be your only motivation and it's very childish.

The methodology of the study you site is flawed. Anyone can see this if they have the 20 minutes or so it takes to follow the links and read the reports.

Your replies are so 'cookie-cutter' that I seriously wonder if you're a bot set up by a certain country's ministry of propaganda or, and I'm not saying you are but I do wonder, ...challenged.

If anyone who cares (I'm sure there aren't at this late stage of the thread, but anyway) wants to see the numerous debunkings of this guy, click his/hers/its name and look at 'threads started by' or whatever the button is.
Like I said, I'm out.
Original post by Underscore__
No they aren't, there figures taken from a survey and applied generally across the country. I can say that the survey is flawed because it essentially says 'where you raped?' the problem is, in most cases, you can't know you were raped

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you deny rape is a big problem in the uk?
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
This is going to be one of those posts to which you needn't reply, so by all means don't bother reading it if you don't want to. However, the reason I'm bothering to write this is for the sake of anyone else who is following this thread.

You have given the exact same arguments in many other threads. They have been proven wrong over and over again.

You attack the U.K because you dislike it when people from here besmirch your homeland. this seems to be your only motivation and it's very childish.

The methodology of the study you site is flawed. Anyone can see this if they have the 20 minutes or so it takes to follow the links and read the reports.

Your replies are so 'cookie-cutter' that I seriously wonder if you're a bot set up by a certain country's ministry of propaganda or, and I'm not saying you are but I do wonder, ...challenged.

If anyone who cares (I'm sure there aren't at this late stage of the thread, but anyway) wants to see the numerous debunkings of this guy, click his/hers/its name and look at 'threads started by' or whatever the button is.
Like I said, I'm out.

Once again you give nothing with substance to show the stats are flawed. All your doing is denying it because you don't like what it shows.

Women are scared to walk by themselves at late in this country because of how common it is.

Being sexually assaulted on A fri/sat night out is also common now.

On another note cheers for advertising me.
Original post by slade p
Do you deny rape is a big problem in the uk?

It's nowhere near as bad as people believe. Whether it's a big problem depends on your definition of a big problem. I think the fact that are around 1,000 confirmed rapes a year shows its a problem but relatively infrequent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No they aren't, there figures taken from a survey and applied generally across the country. I can say that the survey is flawed because it essentially says 'where you raped?' the problem is, in most cases, you can't know you were raped

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet you've used figures from the exact same survey.

I quoted you and another person.

"More married men (2.3 per cent) suffered from partner abuse last year than married women, according to the latest British Crime Survey." The Independent on Sunday, 14 April 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3829849&page=7

Pretty much sums you up. When the survey says something you don't like, you claim the survey is unreliable and invalid, yet you yourself have used it to support your own view when it fits.

No consistency at all but I expect nothing better from you.
You've always gotta be careful when looking at rape/sexual assault statistics, as they (and especially the reporting on them) can often be misleading. Frequently the legal definitions of 'rape' and 'sexual assault' aren't even being adhered to in the surveys, for example. And oftentimes lesser offences like sexual harassment may just be lumped together with rape in the headline statistic in order to make it look higher.

The '1-in-5' or '1-in-4' numbers suffer from this in particular. You can come up with almost any number if you design your survey in a way that defines things loosely enough or has questions that are too vague. Couple that with low response rates and small sample sizes, and you can see why the rates often appear to be so high. Surveys that tend not to do this yield much lower numbers which aren't shocking enough to be put in headlines or used in slogans.

Then there are the accusation-conviction stats. You can't just assume every accusation is a rape, just as you can't assume every accusation is false. Most aren't proven to be either rape or false reports. It's dishonest to claim the remainder were rapes when it was never established.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
We have had this discussion before and you have been proved wrong multiple times by me and others. As mentioned, the study you site is deeply flawed to the point where it isn't even worth mentioning. You never advance your argument and don't have anything solid to back it up.

At this point it just says more about your character and motivations than the subject of this thread.

The NSPCC are the most reliable with figures, albeit for children. It may be as few as one in ten, but through to middle age, one in five is possible. Other authorities are not aware that it is even as high as one in ten for children.. I demonstrated this, about twenty years ago now. The NSPCC have higher figures because they are well trusted by children.

Going back, Family Court is far too stupid to recognize even a psychopath in their midst, never mind a female victim of one. The psychopath does his work and then The Family Court give him the children/the money and the house. Madison was not even permitted to open her mouth in submitting of her evidence once the psychopath (psychopathic killer) had put on his performance there. Adjudicators are arrogant, and very quick to judge from my experience, and from her own. Appearances are taken as being realities. They are idiots! She shall soon be living on the streets in order to pay demands for child maintenance.

Take it back to court and they`ll put the children in care. She is a perfect mother, 100% recovered, and she could have recovered in weeks with her children by her. Idiots! - I have only experience of the men.

One cannot judge character and motivation on this 20% of full communication.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, it doesn't. Voted.
so-called 'feminists' go on rallies about rape culture, wearing nothing

proves there is no such thing as rape culture (in the western world at least)
Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p
so-called 'feminists' go on rallies about rape culture, wearing nothing

proves there is no such thing as rape culture (in the western world at least)

Whenever they see a problem they take their clothes off
Original post by joecphillips
Whenever they see a problem they take their clothes off

'free the nipple!!!!'

'oh my god stop staring at my boobs!'
Just possibly rape culture thrives here. Are we to include peer pressure to sex as forced sex? Possibly, taking it that it would not have happened else. It`s sex without free consent. How often when a couple share a bed does a man have sex without full consent? Little of such activity is likely to reach statistics. The sexually obligated form yet another group, that are forced in a sense, for if they had free will, their right, they would decline.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kates David
Just possibly rape culture thrives here. Are we to include peer pressure to sex as forced sex? Possibly, taking it that it would not have happened else. It`s sex without free consent. How often when a couple share a bed does a man have sex without full consent? Little of such activity is likely to reach statistics. The sexually obligated form yet another group, that are forced in a sense, for if they had free will, their right, they would decline.

Why not just go all the way and say this.
https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/
Interesting, but I try to be very exacting, to suggest where suggestion is more fitting, and to state as fact only when I believe that it is closely representative of the underlying reality. My approach is as though I were trying to create my own philosophy, whereby one is only concerned for that which is missed by the masses. It is only with free minds, freed from the controlled thinking within "the swarm"/society, that we may come to realize the world as it genuinely is. The world is not our perception, is not other`s perceptions, but rather, it is what it is that folk in greater reality are actually dealing with.
Original post by Dandaman1
You've always gotta be careful when looking at rape/sexual assault statistics, as they (and especially the reporting on them) can often be misleading. Frequently the legal definitions of 'rape' and 'sexual assault' aren't even being adhered to in the surveys, for example. And oftentimes lesser offences like sexual harassment may just be lumped together with rape in the headline statistic in order to make it look higher.

The '1-in-5' or '1-in-4' numbers suffer from this in particular. You can come up with almost any number if you design your survey in a way that defines things loosely enough or has questions that are too vague. Couple that with low response rates and small sample sizes, and you can see why the rates often appear to be so high. Surveys that tend not to do this yield much lower numbers which aren't shocking enough to be put in headlines or used in slogans.

Then there are the accusation-conviction stats. You can't just assume every accusation is a rape, just as you can't assume every accusation is false. Most aren't proven to be either rape or false reports. It's dishonest to claim the remainder were rapes when it was never established.

It's the best we have though. No one seems to question the BCS when it comes to other crimes but when it comes to rape and sexual assault it's suddenly unreliable.
Many of those who dispute its findings use its findings for things such as domestic abuse on males, they pick and choose.

The BCS is objective. It has no agenda and people have no reason to lie. If hundreds of thousands of women are telling us they've been raped we should take it seriously, not dismiss the findings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
It's the best we have though. No one seems to question the BCS when it comes to other crimes but when it comes to rape and sexual assault it's suddenly unreliable.
Many of those who dispute its findings use its findings for things such as domestic abuse on males, they pick and choose.

The BCS is objective. It has no agenda and people have no reason to lie. If hundreds of thousands of women are telling us they've been raped we should take it seriously, not dismiss the findings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not always the surveys themselves that are unreliable; it's the reporting on them. For example, the popular website/charity rapecrisis.org states that "one-in-five women in the UK have been a victim of sexual violence since the age of sixteen", but the report from the Ministry of Justice and Office of National Statistics they were citing placed the rate of serous sexual crimes (which includes rape and sexual assault) at one-in-twenty. What rapecrisis.org did was include things like voyeurism, stalking, harassment, indecent exposure, threats, and non-consensual touching in the statistic, even though most of these aren't violent sexual crimes.

An adult in the UK is actually more likely to be robbed, assaulted (non-sexually), or to get cancer in their lifetime.

If hundreds of thousands of women are telling us they've been raped we should take it seriously, not dismiss the findings.

The number of rapes and sexual assaults of females reported in the UK surveys doesn't extend beyond a few thousand. In fact the response rates are so low that the Crime Survey for England and Wales had to combine survey results from multiple years. 'Hundreds of thousands' is an extrapolated figure, remember.
Yet you've used figures from the exact same survey.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3829849&page=7

Pretty much sums you up. When the survey says something you don't like, you claim the survey is unreliable and invalid, yet you yourself have used it to support your own view when it fits.

No consistency at all but I expect nothing better from you.

Haha you've actually made that up, nowhere following that hyperlink have I said what you quoted. You're actually hilarious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You claim to study law yet can't grasp the concept that it is impossible to ask someone if they've been raped and receive a legally accurate answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha you've actually made that up, nowhere following that hyperlink have I said what you quoted. You're actually hilarious

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3829849&page=6

Post 117. You use figures from the BCS, claiming men account for 40% of domestic violence figures.
You use the survey when it supports your point but claim its unreliable when others use it.

POST 122 - you actually cite the BCS.

You're a joke. You epitomize double standards. But it's unsurprsing, you'll use any trick you can to belittle and delegitmize the experiences of rape victims.

You use figures from a survey and say others can't do the same. You're pathetic. Then you claim you never used such figures when I have quoted you using such figures, provided a link and post numbers. You're a liar.
(edited 8 years ago)
You claim to study law yet can't grasp the concept that it is impossible to ask someone if they've been raped and receive a legally accurate answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet you use the same survey to support your point that many men suffer domestic violence.
OH FFS. You really are slow.

The crime of rape is not just a legal phenomenon. It's an act, as a well as crime. It's like saying if someone is found 'not guilty' for murder that the victim has not been killed.

If someone has been made to have sex against their will, when they have not consented, that is rape.
A legal conviction doesn't change the act that's happened.

Rape is both an act and a crime.
It highlights the problems in the law.

You struggle to grasp the most basic concepts and you're a proven liar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending