The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frank Underwood
I suppose if you make your points extremely vague its easier to counterattack any arguments people propose against you.

Or you could try reading what I have written
Original post by Jebedee
Sure, this proves his support for suicide bombings.
[video="youtube;3s6jVmhstLM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6jVmhstLM[/video]

This has pissed me off. Zakir Naik is honestly one of the worst "so called scholar" to listen to. Masquerading his islamic intellect for social and economical gain.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Or you could try reading what I have written

"Quite I've voted it 4 general elections and not once do I remember any party openly telling people they wanted to allow a few million immigrants in to enrich our culture (in fact if you look you see it was those parties telling people they would control immigration that usually won)“

It seems like you're ignoring the benefits of letting immigrants in, and focusing on their cultural influence.
Original post by Oblivion99
Then why open the borders? You seriously think that the Romanians that were allowed to enter, two years ago, came here solely for work? The government is a very literate man, he knew they only came here to take advantage of our benefit system (which they're doing) :smile: So honestly, I give up with this issue of "immigration". For examples, refugees are coming here for "refuge" not to work.

I read a quote from the mayor of a Romanian town who loves the fact that they can move freely to the UK.

It's meant that all the Roma Gypseys have fuc*ked off from his town and took their endemic crime with them.
Original post by quasa
as a healthcare professional, you know pay is bad when some of your colleagues are being paid £10/hour when a few years ago in 2012 they were earning £30/hour

Indeed, my own mother is a nurse and is moving to work in the US this year because of the state of the NHS. About time the Tories just privatised it.
"Quite I've voted it 4 general elections and not once do I remember any party openly telling people they wanted to allow a few million immigrants in to enrich our culture (in fact if you look you see it was those parties telling people they would control immigration that usually won)“

It seems like you're ignoring the benefits of letting immigrants in, and focusing on their cultural influence.

Yes that's right as my culture is more important to me than any perceived benefits immigrants might bring
Yes that's right as my culture is more important to me than any perceived benefits immigrants might bring

Well you have an extremely narrow-minded, one-dimensional view of the situation. Immigrants do not 'destroy' culture, they just add to it. And immigrants bring lots of non-cultural benefits.
Well you have an extremely narrow-minded, one-dimensional view of the situation. Immigrants do not 'destroy' culture, they just add to it. And immigrants bring lots of non-cultural benefits.

Oh so if a person considers their culture important to them then they are '
extremely narrow-minded' do you say this of all cultures or just mine?

and as I said I don't feel my culture needs adding to and if it does than I should be able to decide which bits I add and I don't need immigrants to do this for me.
(edited 8 years ago)

and as I said I don't feel my culture needs adding to and if it does than I should be able to decide which bits I add and I don't need immigrants to do this for me.

You're a fool if you think that immigration and cultural preservation are mutually exclusive.

and as I said I don;t feel my culture needs adding to and if it does than I should be able to decide which bits I add and I don't need immigrants to do this for me.

What does it mean to be British though? What exactly are British values? Does being British mean that you have to be white or black or asian? Does it mean that you must be Christian, Atheist, Jewish, Agnostic or Muslim? Was owning slaves part of the British culture? Should you retain that part of your "culture?"

Does it mean that you must be born within the borders of Britain even though you don't share the values of Britons? Is someone from Manchester more British (with more culture) than someone from Surrey? How can you quantify or qualify culture?

Is a muslim woman from Syria, and naturalised in Britain, living and obeying the laws of the UK less British than a man born in England, but stabbed his wife and children?

People throw things like "destroying our culture or way of life" around like culture is static. Culture is made from the people who live in a particular place. The current "culture" of Londoners will be different to those in 1865.

The concept of culture and immigration needs to be changed. I am not arguing that you let people, who are dangerous, into the country. However, thinking that migrants are leeches with the aim of destroying Britain is grossly unfair to the millions of people that have come here from America, Africa, Australia, Asia and the rest of Europe.

We should be more open-minded.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
What does it mean to be British though? What exactly are British values? Does being British mean that you have to be white or black or asian? Does it mean that you must be Christian, Atheist, Jewish, Agnostic or Muslim? Was owning slaves part of the British culture? Should you retain that part of your "culture?"

Does it mean that you must be born within the borders of Britain even though you don't share the values of Britons? Is someone from Manchester more British (with more culture) than someone from Surrey? How can you quantify or qualify culture?

Is a muslim woman from Syria, and naturalised in Britain, living and obeying the laws of the UK less British than a man born in England, but stabbed his wife and children?

People throw things like "destroying our culture or way of life" around like culture is static. Culture is made from the people who live in a particular place. The current "culture" of Londoners will be different to those in 1865.

The concept of culture and immigration needs to be changed. I am not arguing that you let people, who are dangerous, into the country. However, thinking that migrants are leeches with the aim of destroying Britain is grossly unfair to the millions of people that have come here from America, Africa, Australia, Asia and the rest of Europe.

@BaconandSauce

1. Read this.
2. If still in doubt, repeat step 1.
I don't see any harm whatsoever that the immigration back in the 20th century has caused. It's made the UK the multicultural, diverse place that it is today. And plenty of people 'wanted' it.

That is precisely the problem. Multiculturalism is no culture.
Original post by Wired_1800
What does it mean to be British though?

It means you have a connection to this country through it's history and it's culture

It really is that simple

I walk past a war memorial from ww1 every day and I can see the names of 2 of my family who died doing what they thought was right and the graveyard in my local village has my families name on stones some going back 500 odd years

But to try and dilute this history for people who don't share it is simply wrong and offensive to the majority of people in this country.
Original post by Sequin Rugby

This makes no sense, multiculturalism is, by definition, a combination of different cultures, and I see nothing wrong with that. Diversity and multiculturalism gives us perspective on the world, which means that we can use other cultures to our advantage. If cultures never integrated, we would not have half of the things that we own today.
It means you have a connection to this country through it's history and it's culture

It really is that simple

I walk past a war memorial form ww1 every day and I can see the names of 2 of my family who died doing what they thought was right and the graveyard in my local village has my families name on stones some going back 500 odd years

But to try and dilute this history for people who don't share it is simply wrong and offensive to the majority of people in this country.

immigrants fought in WW1 alongside us
Original post by Oilfreak1
reporting an innocent person could then lead to them feeling betrayed by the state/their community and push them into the arms of extreme clerics leading them on the path to actually become radicalized.

But the responsibility has passed from community to the state once they are alerted to and these are the key words here

Look into them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sequin Rugby

Quite it's a dilution of one culture to suit those who have played no part in creating it
immigrants fought in WW1 alongside us

and they fought for their own reasons and their own countries.

this does not negate what I have said.
Original post by paul514
But the responsibility has passed from community to the state once they are alerted to and these are the key words here

Look into them

Posted from TSR Mobile

In an ideal world this would be perfect. My friend who is the furthest thing from an Islamic extremist was flagged by neighbors. (This is about 4-5 years ago it would be even worse now).

The result? He was incarcerated for 2 weeks with his Passport confiscated (he only got it back last year).

In addition to this he was tagged and unable to attend college for around 2 months, in the end no formal charges were pressed against him he was just "being looked into" (they still haven't returned his old phone 5 years on).

He failed his A-levels (unsurprisingly) as a result and while the reset of our social group are doing our masters in September or have started grad schemes he is only now completing the second year of his degree.

In an ideal world authorities would just look into it, but we don't live in an ideal world. If local law enforcement made clear events like the ones I described above would not be the result of simply flagging someone as a potential radical then maybe communities would be more willing to report odd behavior. We're far far away from being able to categorically say flagging an innocent wont exacerbate the situation.
Kicking muslims out isn't actually impossible and should never be left off the table. I firmly believe that muslims wont last long in the west anyway, a lot of cherrypickers about... :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending