The Student Room Group

Euthanasia - a solution to suffering?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Firstly, you didn't answer the question. Secondly, how was that an abusive reply? Thirdly, I'm also a Christian..

you are making me suffer.
How convenient that just as the UK is about to experience the crisis of the cost of an ageing population that killing off (mostly) old people comes to the forefront of debate... :colonhash:
Original post by the bear
you are making me suffer.

*yawn*
Original post by Supersaps
How convenient that just as the UK is about to experience the crisis of the cost of an ageing population that killing off (mostly) old people comes to the forefront of debate... :colonhash:

Euthanasia is not necessarily aimed at old people. Its aimed at those with debilitating conditions/diseases that will claim their life at some point.
Hence, "mostly"
Original post by Supersaps
Hence, "mostly"

Where did you get this information from?
In addition, it's hardly 'killing off' if they want to die.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neb789
What about medical opposition? Considering it discounts the Hippocratic oath?

No one should force all doctors to do it. Legalising euthanasia doesn't mean that will happen.
as a Christian i am fundamentally opposed to people playing God. the Almighty has decreed the time and nature of our passing. it is not for some box ticking bureaucrat with their eye on the care bill to decide.

So are you are against Doctors healing people as well then?
Original post by BaconandSauce
So are you are against Doctors healing people as well then?

i must be if you say so
i must be if you say so

It was a question bear hence the '?'

Care to answer?
Original post by BaconandSauce
It was a question bear hence the '?'

Care to answer?

you have emptied my resilience bucket
you have emptied my resilience bucket

Rater telling response.
to force somebody to live when they are in agony is akin to forced torture. torture is meant to be prohibited via international law, right?
I believe that any conscious entity of sound mind that expresses the wish for their existence to be terminated should be allowed to terminate their own existence or receive assistance to do so if they are unable to do so themselves.

"of sound mind" boils down to whether they are likely to reverse the decision if forced to carry on existing, but is a little shaky.
"conscious" may also produce some problems later, with advances in artificial intelligence.
as a Christian i am fundamentally opposed to people playing God. the Almighty has decreed the time and nature of our passing. it is not for some box ticking bureaucrat with their eye on the care bill to decide.

Text book bigotry that. If your terminally ill then from a religious point of view, god's decision has already been made. If the nature of the passing involves great pain then that god is a sadist. I'm sure you can work out the rest yourselves.
Reply 35
Original post by AlmightyJesus
to force somebody to live when they are in agony is akin to forced torture. torture is meant to be prohibited via international law, right?

What about people with depression? Might they say life is agony?
This is one of the few things I really care about when it comes to politics. Whenever it comes up in Parliament it is shot down which is disgusting, and I was disappointed that none of the parties had it on their manifestos for the general election last May. To me, it is as important as other archaic gaps in our law such as the lack of gay marriage which has only recently been resolved.

It is frustrating, however, to know that it is so far away from happening,
Original post by neb789
What about people with depression? Might they say life is agony?

They don't need help to die. Euthanasia is about assisted death.
Reply 38
Original post by cherryred90s
They don't need help to die. Euthanasia is about assisted death.

Would it not be easy for them to see Euthanasia as an easy way out?
Original post by neb789
Would it not be easy for them to see Euthanasia as an easy way out?

No, because they don't need assistance. Euthanisia may take a while. You'll need one or more doctors to assess your condition, you need to demonstrate that you are of sane mind, and you need to be suffering with a chronic debilitating illness. In order to ensure that this is what you want, you may need to have interviews and possible counselling sessions with a doctor. This is all very time consuming for someone who is perfectly capable of doing the deed alone.

Quick Reply

Latest