The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry differences compared to last year

Hello all,

Apart from the Mass Spec changes, what are the differences in the CONTENT of the specification of the new AS compared to previous years.

Thanks so much x
Original post by CaiusMartius
Hello all,

Apart from the Mass Spec changes, what are the differences in the CONTENT of the specification of the new AS compared to previous years.

Thanks so much x

I think it is just the mass spec , the only other different thing is the structure of the paper and the type of questions eg. more stuff on practicals. I may be wrong though, but from what I have seen that's the only difference.
Original post by nihil_nimis
I think it is just the mass spec , the only other different thing is the structure of the paper and the type of questions eg. more stuff on practicals. I may be wrong though, but from what I have seen that's the only difference.

Yeah, basically I think there's more practical stuff in actual papers because we don't do EMPAs.

There's like the odd thing that I feel maybe different, but I can't really place it :s-smilie:
Yeah, basically I think there's more practical stuff in actual papers because we don't do EMPAs.

There's like the odd thing that I feel maybe different, but I can't really place it :s-smilie:

yeah I know what you mean, and idk how to prepare for the practical questions because we only have the specimen papers to go off of which is really annoying.
Original post by nihil_nimis
yeah I know what you mean, and idk how to prepare for the practical questions because we only have the specimen papers to go off of which is really annoying.

A friend of mine said just do the EMPA questions so idk
the extraction of metal has also been removed from the spec and the equilibrium constant Kc has replaced it. guys can you please help me out because i havent done any of the practicals for the as this year, i heard their is 6 different ones to do so can someone please list them for me so that i can revise them, thanks in advance.
Original post by OneandOnly123
the extraction of metal has also been removed from the spec and the equilibrium constant Kc has replaced it. guys can you please help me out because i havent done any of the practicals for the as this year, i heard their is 6 different ones to do so can someone please list them for me so that i can revise them, thanks in advance.

Have any new mechanisms been added?

Anyway, these are the practicals

1) Titration
2) Measuring enthalphy change (calorimetry)
3) Measuring rate of reaction (e.g. Sodium thiosulphate solutiuon with HCl).
4) Testing for ions
5) Dehydrating alcohols.
6) Testing for functional groups

Hope that helps :smile:
theres like the 15/20 multiple choice questions on each paper too :s

1) Titration
4) Testing for ions
5) Dehydrating alcohols.

thanks for that mate, the mechanism for the hydration of ethene has also been added which is straight foward. do the practicals come up in the exams??
Original post by OneandOnly123
thanks for that mate, the mechanism for the hydration of ethene has also been added which is straight foward. do the practicals come up in the exams??

Yeah think they do unfortunately, since there's no more ISAs and stuff.
Reply 10

1) Titration
4) Testing for ions
5) Dehydrating alcohols.

Thanks, if you want to outline briefly how to do them feel free to do so ahaha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest