The Student Room Group

A New Theory for Islamic Hatred

I have been thinking about why there is so much hatred especially when we all go/went to school/Univerisity with lovely Muslims or work with really nice Muslims.
I have come to the conclusion it is a mixture of fear, the "well they started it" problem and the feeling of 'one set of rules for them and one set of rules for everyone else. I don't know if anyone else agrees.
This is my stand point. [Sorry it will be long]

Fear:

What with all the terrorist attacks being a bit too close to home the first reaction is to fear it happening to us. Hint for the comments of "deport all Muslims", "can't trust any Muslim", etc.
Please note, I am not saying that is right. Just think about all the Muslims you know of and how you think they deserve to be treated. Plus looking back in history this is how Germans were treated in the UK and Japanese were treated in the US during and between the WW1 and WW2. Many were treated appaulingly out of fear. Despite the fact most were refugees escaping their own countries.

The "well they started it" problem:

If you think about some of this is like children fighting. The issue I feel and looking back on my own experiences I have never been told by any Christian, Jew, Sikh, Buddhist, or any other religeon that what I am doing is wrong. However the only time I have felt like I have been critised in what I believe or have done has been by a Muslim. And when we are crisitised about something we believe we are quick to react and defend ourselves. It is human nature.
Reminds me of a picky flatmate who just couldn't understand why we were 'picking on her' as she would complain thag way we were cooking dinner (which only the person to eat was the person cooking) was not right or we were cleaning our own bedroom wrong and we would be quick to defend. She saw this defence as us bullying her.
At the same time I have been complimented so many times by Muslim friends on an above the knee dress I was wearing or how I had my hair was, despite it being against their own faith.
So just because we feel we are being attacked we shouldn't fight back. Just like when we tell a small child not to hit the bully back.

'One Set of Rules for Us and Another Set For EveryBody Else'

Related to my last point the other thing I have noticed is people get annoyed when immigrants come to the UK and expect the country to bend over backwards to suit their needs while if anyone was to do that in an Islamic country you would be arrested. We make every effort to welcome other cultures and perhaps that is our downfall. Perhaps, we should follow Islamic countries and be stricter in keeping our own culture. Especially when certain people are trying to introduce their own laws into the land. I am fully against Sharia law being introduced. If it is not part of British law I am not following it even if I am in one of these areas.
It is more an issue of intergration issue. You have to expect British people to get angry if you start chanting "UK Police go to hell!". I say 'British people' as if you are not offended or insulted by that then I don't know how you can consider yourself British. Just also imagine that happening in an Islamic country. I think the biggest irony would be if one of those people chanting claimed benefits as then the people they are suggestion should go to hell are actually effectively paying for their living.
Not only this but I am sure people find it difficult to see Islam as an accepting and charitiable religeon as a whole when Western Europe is slowly taking in Muslim Syrian refugees while their neighbouring Islamic countries have not taken in a single one of their brothers and sisters. Instead they must cross half a continent to find refuge. Yet these are the same countries that take in literally millions of Asian nationals to work for them. Take Qatar, the native Qataris are the 3rd biggest population in their own country but total refugee intake is 0.

One Last Point:
If any Muslim is feeling victimised. I really do feel sorry for you. My only suggestion is make sure your sure have friends from many different backgrounds. Never critise (do it in your head if you like) and instead give a compliment that goes against your beliefs and I am certain that will change entirely.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sportycb
Not only this but I am sure people find it difficult to see Islam as an accepting and charitiable religeon as a whole when Western Europe is slowly taking in Muslim Syrian refugees when their neighbouring Islamic countries have not taken in a single one of their brothers and sisters. Instead they must cross half a continent to find refuge. Despite these are the same countries that take in literally millions of Asian nationals to work for them. Take Qatar, the native Qataris are the 3rd biggest population in their own country but total refugee intake is 0.

It's true that Gulf countries are being dicks about it and should be :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing blown to the ground for their indifference, other Muslim nations did not exhibit the same behaviour. Syrian refugees are welcomed in Egypt in any numbers, I am sure it's the same for Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and other non-Gulf Muslim countries.

As for the rest of what you said, you're being quite stereotypical. The kind of Muslims you're talking about are the Orthodox Muslims. I lived in Egypt, and we had about 1-10% of the Muslims being Orthodox. Let me tell you, we hated them. They went on television criticising what we wear, our relationship with the Christians in the country, how we loved and glorified our Ancient Egyptian culture and what kind of music we listened to. I am sure there are also super orthodox Christians who are a pain in the arse "pro-lifers, anti-gay, you get it the idea". To paint all Muslims with the same brush saying they're "bullies" is mad. Ultra religious people tend to exhibit this "bully-ish" behaviour, be it Christians, Muslims or Jews.

As for Sharia law courts, again, it's the super orthodox Muslims. Those are the "interesting" Muslims that the media portray all the time. The media won't show you the "Ahmed"s and the "Abdul"s who are just minding their business, being constructive and productive to society and integrating with everyone else, where's the fun there? The media has to portray those fringe idiots who then stir up emotions and Muslim hate statements. Trust me, it takes only one reporting of one Muslim idiot to turn everyone against the religion. I am not saying there is only one Muslim idiot, there are plenty of them with their strict rules and idiotic beliefs, but they're definitely not the majority.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by oShahpo
It's true that Gulf countries are being dicks about it and should be :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing blown to the ground for their indifference, other Muslim nations did not exhibit the same behaviour. Syrian refugees are welcomed in Egypt in any numbers, I am sure it's the same for Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and other non-Gulf Muslim countries.

As for the rest of what you said, you're being quite stereotypical. The kind of Muslims you're talking about are the Orthodox Muslims. I lived in Egypt, and we had about 1-10% of the Muslims being Orthodox. Let me tell you, we hated them. They went on television criticising what we wear, our relationship with the Christians in the country, how we loved and glorified our Ancient Egyptian culture and what kind of music we listened to. I am sure there are also super orthodox Christians who are a pain in the arse "pro-lifers, anti-gay, you get it the idea". To paint all Muslims with the same brush saying they're "bullies" is mad. Ultra religious people tend to exhibit this "bully-ish" behaviour, be it Christians, Muslims or Jews.

As for Sharia law courts, again, it's the super orthodox Muslims. Those are the "interesting" Muslims that the media portray all the time. The media won't show you the "Ahmed"s and the "Abdul"s who are just minding their business, being constructive and productive to society and integrating with everyone else, where's the fun there? The media has to portray those fringe idiots who then stir up emotions and Muslim hate statements. Trust me, it takes only one reporting of one Muslim idiot to turn everyone against the religion. I am not saying there is only one Muslim idiot, there are plenty of them with their strict rules and idiotic beliefs, but they're definitely not the majority.

Sorry I spent ages on the wording as I trying not be stereotypical but still failed. I completely understand that is not the case for Muslims and I should have been more specific. I have many Muslim friends especially as I went to an all Girls school and understand they a have different beliefs. Just like all Christians are very different. This too is why I am against a lot of things I hear on these threads. I am sorry if I have given the wrong impression. Unfortunately the news is all you will hear. I wish all Muslims were the ones like the ones I know.

Also I am sorry that in my annoyance with the Arab states I forgot to mention the good nature of the other neighbouring coutries such as Egypt, Turkey, Lebonon, Jordan, etc.
Reply 3
Sorry I spent ages on the wording as I trying not be stereotypical but still failed. I completely understand that is not the case for Muslims and I should have been more specific. I have many Muslim friends especially as I went to an all Girls school and understand they a have different beliefs. Just like all Christians are very different. This too is why I am against a lot of things I hear on these threads. I am sorry if I have given the wrong impression. Unfortunately the news is all you will hear. I wish all Muslims were the ones like the ones I know.

Also I am sorry that in my annoyance with the Arab states I forgot to mention the good nature of the other neighbouring coutries such as Egypt, Turkey, Lebonon, Jordan, etc.

I do, essentially, agree with you. People hate Muslims because they feel the danger of Islamic terrorism. Maybe one day ISIS will be defeated and everything will return to normal. I hope I live to see that day.
Reply 4
A lot of anger stems from the fact Muslims are not doing enough to tackle extremism. And its always the same old response after every attack, 'Terroism has no religion', 'ISIS have nothing to do with Islam', even though ISIS worship Allah, follow the quran, pray etc.
Original post by Bazzel
A lot of anger stems from the fact Muslims are not doing enough to tackle extremism. And its always the same old response after every attack, 'Terroism has no religion', 'ISIS have nothing to do with Islam', even though ISIS worship Allah, follow the quran, pray etc.

ISIS violate some of the things the Quran says
Reply 6
Original post by Frank Underwood

Such as?

ISIS follow the Quran more literally if anything.
Reply 7
Original post by Bazzel

Yes but just because they are Muslims doesn't they are not scared of the consequences. ISIS are scary. They might feel that saying something might affect their own safety.
It is like why didn't any Germans stand up to the Nazis, because they knew they would be killed or hurt in some way themselves.

How to feat them is the issue. But I am definitely with oShahpo. I hope it over soon and we can go back to normal. If all extremism was to go entirely some how we wouldn't have this problem at all.
Reply 8
Original post by Bazzel

How about the fact that Iraqi and Syrian soldiers, Muslim soldiers, are the only thing that's stopping ISIS from exploding like a cancer throughout the Middle East?
Irani, Syrian, Egyptian and other Muslim soldiers are giving up their lives daily so you, sitting on your computer, could say something like " Muslims are not doing enough to tackle extremism.. hurr durr".
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Yes but just because they are Muslims doesn't they are not scared of the consequences. ISIS are scary. They might feel that saying something might affect their own safety.
It is like why didn't any Germans stand up to the Nazis, because they knew they would be killed or hurt in some way themselves..

As long as the Muslims don't live in ISIS held territory, their safety won't be at risk.
Reply 10
Original post by oShahpo
How about the fact that Irani and Syrian soldiers, Muslim soldiers, are the only thing that's stopping ISIS from exploding like a cancer throughout the Middle East?
Irani, Syrian, Egyptian and other Muslim soldiers are giving up their lives daily so you, sitting on your computer, could say something like " Muslims are not doing enough to tackle extremism.. hurr durr".

And Saudi Arabia fund ISIS.
Original post by Bazzel

Original post by Bazzel
Such as?

OK I'm off to work now and there are plenty of things that Muslims do to condemn terrorism - including going to war against IS... IS do burn people which isn't really allowed

Also are true Christians the ones who sell their daughters in to slavery? Are true Christians the ones who take the Bible very literally?
Original post by Bazzel
As long as the Muslims don't live in ISIS held territory, their safety won't be at risk.

One wonders what you think of say Christians who also live in IS held territory?
Original post by Bazzel
Such as?

The Quran condemns killing female / child hostages, which ISIS have done. The Quran condemns killing non-combatants, which ISIS have done. The Quran condemns using terror for political gain, which ISIS are doing. The Quran condemns using aggressive warfare, which ISIS are doing. And the list goes on.
Original post by Bazzel
And Saudi Arabia fund ISIS.

Yea they do, they're not representatives of Muslims though. They're only 10 million out of a billlion+ Muslims, less than 1% of all Muslims. Note that I am not defending Islam as the religion, I am defending Muslims in general. Islam might be just as backwards as all the other Abrahamaic religions, but Muslims are not as bad as people portray them to be.
Reply 15
Original post by Frank Underwood

They follow more of the Qur'an than they do Violate it.

For example there are over 109 verses of violence in the Qur'an while verses of peace come early whereas verses of violence come later, and because the Qur'an follows the laws of abrogation, your theory much like most of the other nonsense you say is completely flawed
Reply 16
Original post by oShahpo
Yea they do, they're not representatives of Muslims though. They're only 10 million out of a billlion+ Muslims, less than 1% of all Muslims. Note that I am not defending Islam as the religion, I am defending Muslims in general. Islam might be just as backwards as all the other Abrahamaic religions, but Muslims are not as bad as people portray them to be.

If ISIS don't really represent Is;am as you muslims say, how come the most conservative muslim country, the main islamic country on earth Saudi arabia, agree with their philosophies and funds and houses them?
Original post by #_ZINAN
They follow more of the Qur'an than they do Violate it.

For example there are over 109 verses of violence in the Qur'an while verses of peace come early whereas verses of violence come later, and because the Qur'an follows the laws of abrogation, your theory much like most of the other nonsense you say is completely flawed

This is just an assumption, provide me a source which says something, because I don't believe you, given your anti-Islam agenda from your posting history.
Original post by #_ZINAN
If ISIS don't really represent Is;am as you muslims say, how come the most conservative muslim country, the main islamic country on earth Saudi arabia, agree with their philosophies and funds and houses them?

Sraw-man ALERT.
I am not a Muslim nor did I say that ISIS don't represent Islam. What I said, and clearly stated, is that ISIS does not represent MUSLIMS. All it takes to be a Muslim is to follow the 5 pillars, pray, give money to the poor, fast, do the pilgrimage. You don't have to follow what the Quran says. Islam might very well be the motivation behind ISIS's actions, but Muslims generally around the world disagree with ISIS. If they didn't, why the hell are they fighting ISIS DAILY in Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Libya and the Turkish borders? Why not just give up and live happily under the Caliphate wet-dream of ISIS? Because they don't agree with ISIS.

Saudi Arabia is no Islamic authority. They happen to have the holiest place in Islam, but that's about it. Saudi Arabia is even more of a dictatorship than North Korea. They are ruled by a king who pretty much decides what to do with the country's money. The fact that Saudi Arabia supports ISIS means that the King of Saudi Arabia supports ISIS, nothing more nothing less.

To make my point clearer, ISIS may very well be based on the Quran, but Muslims don't agree with what ISIS is doing.
Original post by Bazzel

What could I do, as an 18 year old Muslim to tackle terrorism, if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending