The Student Room Group

Chances at top public schools or private? e.g. Westminster, St Pauls, Harrow etc.

HI
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Harrow sounds like the right fit for you. All rounded
Reply 2
Original post by aquaceo
Harrow sounds like the right fit for you. All rounded

Thanks, what school do you go to? or are you trying to get to one of the above schools?
I applied for a scholarship at the best private sixth form (and sixth form overall) in my region (north east of england) and I got in with a scholarship - it honestly wasn't particularly hard despite what people may think so you will be fine! I'm not sure how it goes for other schools - but for this one I had to sit a scholarship exam, which consisted of a mensa kind of exam (verbal reasoning test), and then two subject tests of my choice as long as I was doing them for a-level (I chose English literature and French). So I sat them exams, then I had two interviews where they basically questioned me on my a-level options, asked about career plans & any extra curricular activities I do (I basically do none so it wasn't an issue). Then after my scholarship exam scores were reviewed, I was called back for another interview with my parent where the headteacher took me in the office first, and asked me a bunch of questions, I think to test how conversational I was and such. She asked me questions on books & a literature-esque question about of mice and men which I gave a lengthy answer too (but obviously they wouldn't do that to you if you weren't planning on doing literature haha) & then she brought my parent in for an interview together, then afterwards she offered me a place and scholarship :smile:

May be a similar experience for you :smile:
Original post by adamr8
Hi I am in yr 10 and about to apply for sixth form. I am taking maths, triple science, english, french, mandarin, economics, history, sociology for gcse. I took my french and got a* in yr 8. I am doing maths one year early, this year and core science this year. I am predicted a* in history, sociology, mandarin, french and maths, a in science, economics and english. I am in student council and got a jack petchey award this year. I have 1st place nationally in french national award and 2nd in national language exam for all languages. I also have 2nd in global french competition. I came 3rd in a chinese calligraphy nation competition too. I speak french, mandarin, latin, russian and understand arabic.About to start learning ancient greek. I started a Model UN club and I am about to start a charity sending resources to underprivileged schools in Kenya and Tanzania. What are my chances at these schools? I appreciate any replies. Thanks

Trust me you will be fine, i am currently going to Harrow and they will accept you. Applying normally or through scholarship?
Reply 5
Original post by caitlinford3
I applied for a scholarship at the best private sixth form (and sixth form overall) in my region (north east of england) and I got in with a scholarship - it honestly wasn't particularly hard despite what people may think so you will be fine! I'm not sure how it goes for other schools - but for this one I had to sit a scholarship exam, which consisted of a mensa kind of exam (verbal reasoning test), and then two subject tests of my choice as long as I was doing them for a-level (I chose English literature and French). So I sat them exams, then I had two interviews where they basically questioned me on my a-level options, asked about career plans & any extra curricular activities I do (I basically do none so it wasn't an issue). Then after my scholarship exam scores were reviewed, I was called back for another interview with my parent where the headteacher took me in the office first, and asked me a bunch of questions, I think to test how conversational I was and such. She asked me questions on books & a literature-esque question about of mice and men which I gave a lengthy answer too (but obviously they wouldn't do that to you if you weren't planning on doing literature haha) & then she brought my parent in for an interview together, then afterwards she offered me a place and scholarship :smile:

May be a similar experience for you :smile:

Thanks, let's hope so! I was just wondering, what was the name of the school?
Reply 6
Original post by byakuya kuchki
Trust me you will be fine, i am currently going to Harrow and they will accept you. Applying normally or through scholarship?

Scholarship. Obviously that will lower my chances but do you think I still have a chance. Also, what year are you in?
Original post by adamr8
Scholarship. Obviously that will lower my chances but do you think I still have a chance. Also, what year are you in?

Scholarships, no you will be fine...don't really know much about the scholarship root never took it, but what scholarship are you planning to take? I am currently in y11 last year but i will be going sixth form here too :smile: the school is great
Original post by adamr8
Thanks, let's hope so! I was just wondering, what was the name of the school?

durham high school for girls :smile:
Don't underestimate the issue of capacity. Yes, the major schools will have chucked out a few pupils who failed to obtain adequate GCSE's, but there is usually a very strict cap on numbers, and plenty of people will have expressed interest in being considered as candidates, and at a far earlier stage.

Ability-wise, all sounds fine. You have to interview well, so raise some interesting questions (that can't be answered by studying the prospectus).
Reply 10
I also go to harrow. Needing a scholarship will help your chances dont worry, they want that for sixth form acceptance
Hi everyone - update from me

I swotted for a few days to get into Westminster School Sixth form , I passed the exams ( tbh , quite easily )

and then was offered a Sixth Form place after interview

so I am feeling pretty sick because then my school , Eton, battered my parents non -stop that I should remain there

Just cant wait to get my A levels done ( predicted 4A* and 1A )

and choose between Oxford or Camb for my physics degree

- meanwhile I'm continuing my pilot training in vacations - with my aim of being a test pilot by 25

btw - Anyone else here addicted to high speed - drove my dad's Ferrari this March but sadly coz he was in it he didn't let me go over 100 - great fun tho :wink:)) Can't wait to break sound barrier for first time

Laters guys

James

Quick Reply