The Student Room Group

Aeronautical or Chemical Engineering (or even Maths??)

Hi, I firmed Imperial and put Bath as my insurance to read Aeronautical Engineering starting this October but am now slowly having doubts...if there's anyone who's done/is doing Aerospace or Chemical Engineering at uni (or even doing Maths) please give me a brief description of how satisfied you are and what must I be prepared to do because I really don't want to do a course I wouldn't enjoy. Thanks!
Original post by thatbrownkid17
Hi, I firmed Imperial and put Bath as my insurance to read Aeronautical Engineering starting this October but am now slowly having doubts...if there's anyone who's done/is doing Aerospace or Chemical Engineering at uni (or even doing Maths) please give me a brief description of how satisfied you are and what must I be prepared to do because I really don't want to do a course I wouldn't enjoy. Thanks!

Hey there!

I'm currently in my 4th year of Aeronautical Engineering, and I love it! The three courses you mentioned are very different, so read into them as much as possible to find which one you're most interested in.

Aeronautical involves a lot of structural concepts, fluid flow and aerodynamics, CAD modelling/flow simulation/stress analysis, systems, software and programming, amongst many others. If you are interested in a career with aircraft/spacecraft/defense, or many things Mechanical related, Aero is a great choice.

Chemical Engineering, as the name suggests, involves a lot more of chemistry. Personally, I have done a tiny bit of chemistry, whereas in Chemical, you can expect it to be pretty core to the degree. Of course, there are plenty of other sections: thermodynamics, materials, fluid flow, multiphase systems, etc.

Maths will be a lot more theoretical than engineering. If you have a passion for maths, and like (almost) every aspect of it, then it could be a good choice.

Note, this is a very crude overview. All engineering disciplines have many different taught classes and overlap a fair bit. I would probably say that Aero and Chemical are probably the least alike in terms of engineering, though. Look into career opportunities, course content and you should get a good idea of what you want to do.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
Aeronautical Engineering - School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest