The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello everyone,
I am having a struggle on deciding between these two offers I got, which one should I put as my firm and which as my insurance?

1. LLB International Law and Globalisation at University of Birmingham

2. LLB Law with Politics at University of Manchester

Should I go with the offer that gave me lower conditions or it doesn't have to be that way ?

Any suggestions anyone?
Thank you
You should put the one that you want to go as the first one and then the second one is a back up choice in case you can't get in your first choice. They do say however that it is better to put the higher offer as your firm choice and the lower one as your insurance back up.

I think uni of Manchester- but if you can't reach a decision create a poll. I did and that helped me decide.

Good luck :smile:
It really depends what you're looking for.

Both are located in major cities, so there will be comparable environments.

Both have similar reputations. Birmingham probably edges Manchester on the law front, but Manchester is more internationally reputable (if you're looking at practising internationally).

Are they both qualifying LLBs?
Manchester is probably the better uni if you're more concerned with rep but as well as that I'd say you'd have a better time there in general in terms of student life etc.
Reply 5
Original post by TAK97
Hello everyone,
I am having a struggle on deciding between these two offers I got, which one should I put as my firm and which as my insurance?

1. LLB International Law and Globalisation at University of Birmingham

2. LLB Law with Politics at University of Manchester

Should I go with the offer that gave me lower conditions or it doesn't have to be that way ?

Any suggestions anyone?
Thank you

Manchester would edge slightly on reputation, but I don't think going to either would make / break your chances of a legal career. If reputation is important to you, go for manchester, if not choose where you think you will be happiest. There's no wrong choice here
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Manchester is probably the better uni if you're more concerned with rep but as well as that I'd say you'd have a better time there in general in terms of student life etc.

Not for law it isn't.
Manchester, better city
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Saying they're equal does not equate to your claim that Manchester has the superior rep.

But I didn't say they are equal, I said they were more or less equal for law, I also said Manchester has superior rep as an overall uni.
Look at the rankings, course structure and graduate prospects.

I would say Manchester - Firm and Birmingham - Insurance.
personally i would go for birmingham but i reckon they are as even as you can get
Reply 13
Original post by Greatleysteg
It really depends what you're looking for.

Both are located in major cities, so there will be comparable environments.

Both have similar reputations. Birmingham probably edges Manchester on the law front, but Manchester is more internationally reputable (if you're looking at practising internationally).

Are they both qualifying LLBs?

Yes they are
Reply 14
Original post by Eternalflames
Look at the rankings, course structure and graduate prospects.

I would say Manchester - Firm and Birmingham - Insurance.

Okay thank you, but the prob is that Birmingham gave me a higher offer then Manchester ? Will it make sense to put the lower offer as my firm and higher as my insurance?

What do you think?
But I didn't say they are equal, I said they were more or less equal for law, I also said Manchester has superior rep as an overall uni.

Splitting hairs. Overall rep of Manchester is irrelevant.
Original post by TAK97
Okay thank you, but the prob is that Birmingham gave me a higher offer then Manchester ? Will it make sense to put the lower offer as my firm and higher as my insurance?

What do you think?

What do you think you're more likely to get? If you truly want to go to Birmingham, then put that as your firm.

The decision is yours and if you don't like either, you can always phone up during clearing/adjustment :smile:

Good Luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Splitting hairs. Overall rep of Manchester is irrelevant.

Well that's your opinion, if someone is concerned about the reputation of the university then, whether or not the difference in rep actually matters in any realistic sense, the overall reputation is arguably more important than that of the specific course.
Well that's your opinion, if someone is concerned about the reputation of the university then, whether or not the difference in rep actually matters in any realistic sense, the overall reputation is arguably more important than that of the specific course.

Utter nonsense. If this were true, the majority of QMUL LLB grads would be working at Toys R Us and Build-a-Bear.
Utter nonsense. If this were true, the majority of QMUL LLB grads would be working at Toys R Us and Build-a-Bear.

"Working at Toys R Us and Build-a-Bear", wat. Calm down mate.