The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imran_
have a feeling this years maths exams are going to be tough

Me too the IAL January 2016 exams seemed quite simple other than 2 papers, them being F1 and M3.
Original post by imran_
have a feeling this years maths exams are going to be tough

I've been thinking C4 is going to be similar difficulty to C3 June 2013, but C3 will be of average difficulty.
Reply 962
Original post by NotNotBatman
I've been thinking C4 is going to be similar difficulty to C3 June 2013, but C3 will be of average difficulty.

I doubt it june 2013 was a really tough paper where it was only 50 marks for 80ums. Id say they're going to pull out really worded questions this year
Reply 963
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Me too the IAL January 2016 exams seemed quite simple other than 2 papers, them being F1 and M3.

yeah, I find IAL papers more difficult than regular papers. Especially for c4 and s2
Original post by Zacken
M4.

Which is harder FP2 or FP3 and which one is more interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP3, simply because of the linear algebra (vectors and matrices), some of the calculus particularly integration is tricky sometimes too.

Imo FP2 doesn't have much to it, remember some ODE results and bam :tongue:
Finished my 6th C4 past paper and scored 72/75 -> 96% = A*.

I lost the last 3 marks on vectors again, which has been a common theme but providing I don't
drop any marks elsewhere I should still get the A* I need. :puppyeyes:

Past paper scores are now 93-97% ish lately but there is still room for improvement :work:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Glavien

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP3, but not by much. I'd say FP3 is more interesting as well, but it depends on your interests, if you like DE's and the more "applied" (in the university applied sense) stuff then FP2, if you like more of the matrices stuff from FP1 or integration techniques from C4, then it's definitely FP3.
Do people think the Solomon papers harder or easier or about the same as the actual past papers?

I'm working through them now done 3 C3 and 3 C4, I'm hoping to have done all 12 by the end of next week then go on to actual past papers which I have only done a few of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 969
Original post by flowerspace
Do people think the Solomon papers harder or easier or about the same as the actual past papers?

I'm working through them now done 3 C3 and 3 C4, I'm hoping to have done all 12 by the end of next week then go on to actual past papers which I have only done a few of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Solomon papers are usually harder but depends on the individual. Have a go at IYGB papers, most of them are tough and are good practise
Original post by imran_
Solomon papers are usually harder but depends on the individual. Have a go at IYGB papers, most of them are tough and are good practise

I hadn't heard of them so I'll try as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hadn't heard of them so I'll try as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do IYGB instead of Solomon press. Solomon papers are kinda meh in my opinion.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Do IYGB instead of Solomon press. Solomon papers are kinda meh in my opinion.

Yeah I sometimes find I wizz through most questions in them apart from certain topics I find harder
I usually get really stressed out in exams so I'm trying to do harder papers so that when it's my actual exam it won't seem so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I ask if you need to get 480 (or something like that) Ums and a* in C3 and C4 to get an a* does that add up to As in all other modules then? I don't get ums a lot so it may seem like a stupid question :colondollar:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I ask if you need to get 480 (or something like that) Ums and a* in C3 and C4 to get an a* does that add up to As in all other modules then? I don't get ums a lot so it may seem like a stupid question :colondollar:
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get 90 in both C3 and C4 then you need 300/400 in the other 4 modules for an A*
Posted from TSR Mobile

180 or above combined from C3 and C4 - can be 100/80 or 95/85 or 90/90, you do the maths :tongue:

And 480 or above UMS on top of that for an A*, so you'd just need 300 UMS from the remaining 4 modules, or 75 UMS on average per other module.
Original post by BBeyond
If you get 90 in both C3 and C4 then you need 300/400 in the other 4 modules for an A*

Ok thank you :smile: makes sense :smile: so 90 ums is an a* for c3 and C4
What's 75 ums then is that like an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, what are vectors part c/d questions limited to? What I mean is...they always somehow manage to shock my system with their part c/d questions... Like prove three points are collinear... ok thats an easy example... but things like show that ABCD is a parallelogram etc... How am I supposed to prepare for every other eventuality? any tips?
Original post by SeanFM
180 or above combined from C3 and C4 - can be 100/80 or 95/85 or 90/90, you do the maths :tongue:

And 480 or above UMS on top of that for an A*, so you'd just need 300 UMS from the remaining 4 modules, or 75 UMS on average per other module.

Ok thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Someboady
Hey guys, what are vectors part c/d questions limited to? What I mean is...they always somehow manage to shock my system with their part c/d questions... Like prove three points are collinear... ok thats an easy example... but things like show that ABCD is a parallelogram etc... How am I supposed to prepare for every other eventuality? any tips?

I do not have much to add except that I suffered from this exact problem in most past papers - the first one/two parts were fine but I got 0 marks for all of the other ones.

I guess practice vectors and try to understand them so that you're prepared for any question. Draw sketches etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending