The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

How do you afford to study in London?

I'm considering putting King's as my firm choice but I'm just worried about the costs of living. I've applied for my student loan and I've made a rough budget plan but I don't think it's enough to cover staying alive :frown:

At the moment I'd have to get a job - does anyone recommend/not recommend having a job while studying?

I'm studying biomedical science if that helps, so some practical stuff as well as lectures.
Reply 1
Parent's finance me :frown:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I couldn't afford to study in London until my MA and PhD. It's brutal, if you're not living at home.
I can't, that's why I won't be taking up my UCL offer.. The most I'll have available (this is full loan+grant in Scotland - we don't get the London weighting anymore) is £8-9k, and most accom costs £7k+.

Mom's on a PhD program on £13k to support 4 kids, so literally, it'd be impossible to get support income wise from her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
I can't, that's why I won't be taking up my UCL offer.. The most I'll have available (this is full loan+grant in Scotland - we don't get the London weighting anymore) is £8-9k, and most accom costs £7k+.

Mom's on a PhD program on £13k to support 4 kids, so literally, it'd be impossible to get support income wise from her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So which degree are you doing now?
Original post by #_ZINAN
So which degree are you doing now?

Warwick - Data Science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Warwick - Data Science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Msci?

It's cause I thought you were an Investment banker already.
Original post by #_ZINAN
Msci?

It's cause I thought you were an Investment banker already.

Nah, I just have a very wide network with a lot of IBers in it - whom I learn a lot/pass on advice from. I'm personally en-route to become one myself.

And it's a BSc
Reply 8
Nah, I just have a very wide network with a lot of IBers in it - whom I learn a lot/pass on advice from. I'm personally en-route to become one myself.

And it's a BSc

I've asked you this before.

How are you gonna be an investment banker?

What degree will you do your masters in?
Original post by #_ZINAN
I've asked you this before.

How are you gonna be an investment banker?

What degree will you do your masters in?

Your first question has been answered to death: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3734323

Masters is a waste of money if you want to get into IB, I'd only do it if I don't land anything using the above track. In other words, it's a very expensive 'reset' button to try for recruitment again. Ideally, it'd be nice to get an MBA after 3-4 years of working post-uni but we shall see what the future holds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One does not jut simply 'afford' Uni.
Reply 11
Original post by Foutre en L'air
One does not jut simply 'afford' Uni.

So... beans on toast for 3 years?

Quick Reply

Latest