The Student Room Group

How many past papers would you say is enough for a module in maths

Scroll to see replies

As many as time permits.

This is my planner for maths past papers :smile:

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 19.02.09BST.png

Solomon papers do not have UMS, but I guesstimated it by scaling up the percentage of marks by 10%. B/S/G papers also don't have UMS, so whatever their percentage is their UMS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Also if you're interested, the predicted is the mean of the mean UMS and mean UMS excl. anomalies.

I don't do stats so please don't rip me apart if that's a bad way of doing it.
All of them and some more.
Original post by jamestg
As many as time permits.

They're not in date order. Solomon papers do not have UMS, but I guesstimated it by scaling up the percentage of marks by 10%. B/S/G papers also don't have UMS, so whatever their percentage is their UMS.

Nice :-). I should do the same in a couple weeks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

Spoiler

Op, what you can take away from this aside is that you should determine the modules which require more attention and do more relevant practice. Whether that be exercises or papers.

I mean for my Y12, all the modules were pretty easy (C1, C2, FP1, M1, S1, C3) so the top 2 for me were FP1 and C3
Reply 25
I don't think I did any C1/C2 (apart from class mock) papers because I was doing C3 C4 that season which made them seem simple. I imagine @Zacken, @Student403 and that crew won't do many A level past papers when they go above and beyond. Or at least they'll concentrate on the later modules.

I'll do about 6 papers from each module - including the easiest ones, not for the content but to get an idea of the style of questions, the order, # of questions, topics, etc... otherwise, as you've said C3/4 makes C1/2 easy, so imagine what STEP II and III do...
Original post by Zacken
I'll do about 6 papers from each module - including the easiest ones, not for the content but to get an idea of the style of questions, the order, # of questions, topics, etc... otherwise, as you've said C3/4 makes C1/2 easy, so imagine what STEP II and III do...

I literally cannot conceive in my head the idea of something that makes FP2/3 seem easy :cry:
How many marks out of 75 is generally considered 100% UMS and how many is considered 95% UMS?
Reply 28

Spoiler

Op, what you can take away from this aside is that you should determine the modules which require more attention and do more relevant practice. Whether that be exercises or papers.

Definitely.
Reply 29
Original post by jamestg
As many as time permits.

Solomon papers do not have UMS, but I guesstimated it by scaling up the percentage of marks by 10%. B/S/G papers also don't have UMS, so whatever their percentage is their UMS.

When are you planning on starting M1 and C2 papers
However many it takes to be able to get 75/75 consistently. I plan on doing approximately 1 C3 paper because I easily got 100% raw on the mock, but I'll do quite a few M2 papers, because it's easier to make small slips in applied modules.
Original post by Acrux
When are you planning on starting M1 and C2 papers

This month, when I finish being taught them

It's too late to self teach and get a head start because I'm engrossed in other work.
Reply 32
Original post by jamestg
This month, when I finish being taught them

It's too late to self teach and get a head start because I'm engrossed in other work.

fair enough so you still have modules left to learn
do you study FM?
Original post by Acrux
fair enough so you still have modules left to learn
do you study FM?

Nope, that's next year :colondollar:
Original post by Student403
I literally cannot conceive in my head the idea of something that makes FP2/3 seem easy :cry:

No way, you're great at maths! You shouldn't find those modules too hard. I'd say just read through all the content and make sure you understand everything; they shouldn't be able to catch you out after that.
Original post by sweeneyrod
However many it takes to be able to get 75/75 consistently. I plan on doing approximately 1 C3 paper because I easily got 100% raw on the mock, but I'll do quite a few M2 papers, because it's easier to make small slips in applied modules.

Last year I did basically every D1 paper available and NEVER got through a whole mock without losing a mark. It was really annoying since D1 was so simple. But funnily enough I managed to get full raw marks in the real thing!

But yeah that's a good approach, aim for full marks in every mock.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
No way, you're great at maths! You shouldn't find those modules too hard. I'd say just read through all the content and make sure you understand everything; they shouldn't be able to catch you out after that.

Thanks :smile: I think you're right - it just takes a bit to get them in your head fully!
Original post by jamestg
As many as time permits.

That looks really good! :zomg:

I should have done this. :cry:
Original post by Student403

STEP doesn't exactly make FP2 easy in the same way as e.g. C1. At least for me, C1 is easy because I can breeze through a paper without actually thinking; FP2 is easier than STEP because I know roughly how to answer each question, not because actually doing so is trivial.
Original post by jamestg
As many as time permits.

The original Bronze, Silver and Gold papers as put together by Graham and Mark at Edexcel have the suggested grade boundaries on the front, from which you can work out your UMS.

If you've got them from elsewhere, has the website removed that information?

Quick Reply

Latest