The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge is underrated imo. People always compare it to places like Oxford and Imperial, which is just an insult tbh.
Original post by stefano865
Overrated

LSE
KCL
Exeter
Oxford Brookes
St Andrews

Underrated

Warwick
Bath
UEA

why is St Andrews over rated?
Original post by Lawliettt
How do you know though? As far as I'm aware, there's no website that compares every course that both unis offer side by side and takes an average. They all just look at overall entry tariffs. You could manually do it but it's not worth the time and effort. And what specific uni are you referring to with the comparisons ?

I was comparing with Cardiff because you made the claim that the only reason Cardiff is lower in overall entry is because it offers more courses. If you look side-by-side, Exeter wins. I looked at law (as it is my subject), business, maths, civil engineering, physics. biology, economics. It "wins" these usually quite significantly. It doesn't win a few courses, such as mechanical engineering but this is quite marginal through 6 points.
Having looked at quite a few of the posts on this thread, I have to say that no way is Durham underrated - very much overrated imo. And Exeter is not overrated - it's a very good uni!
Original post by shimble11
why is St Andrews over rated?

It seems to be glamorous but lacking in substance.

Heard quite a lot. It is undoubtedly good but clearly doesn't deserve to be seen as one of the UK's best.

This might interest you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1176159

:wink:
Original post by MsChantelle
Why? :smile:

Because you're living in London. I mean obviously a lot of it has to do with the university, but naturally that type of rating will be heavily influenced by external factors.
Original post by 210555
I agree. I wish people would stop obsessing about Oxbridge/RG as a "meal ticket" in the "world of work", it is simply not true! University is about providing opportunity for academic and personal growth. I am not a "bitter reject" by the way but have chosen my uni based upon lots of research and logic. Employers really don't care where you study, they are more interested in the qualities and skills the individual has developed. BTW there is nothing wrong with being a teacher as someone posted earlier, we all need them.

I know there is nothing wrong with being a teacher, but the ones who go to Oxbridge usually aspire for more - hence why some with the offer thing they've got a meal ticket to a top paying job which teaching isn't.
It just annoyed me as all my sixth form care about is Oxbridge offers and nothing really else
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Cambridge is underrated imo. People always compare it to places like Oxford and Imperial, which is just an insult tbh.

Oxford isn't rubbish though... Like... Its a fair comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
lol maybe, but I booked into having a look round the maths department last year (outside of usual open day times) and had a meeting with a professor of stats. In his words he said "There really isn't any difference between Durham and say another uni like Southampton so you could always go there. We only accept people who have been the best in their schools for the past 5 years or so unless you go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough or somewhere like that." An awkward silence proceeds. "You don't go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough do you?". I shake my head.

Although Im sure he was just one of stranger ones of the collectively high quality bunch or trying to be funny in some strange way. He also mentioned about me taking an entrance exam that doesnt exist. One week later I got an offer of only A*A and a 2 in step(or something similar) so I didnt mind too much :tongue:
(I meant this about Durham oops :tongue:) @ServantOfMorgoth

Thats just his opinion though. He can't speak for the entire university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Oxford isn't rubbish though... Like... Its a fair comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a stretch but I'll allow it because you have to compare it to something.
It's a stretch but I'll allow it because you have to compare it to something.

But the comparison to rubbish works!
Original post by Student403
But the comparison to rubbish works!

No it doesn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your offer from Cam but I'd be a little modest...
Why is UCL so overated / stufents dont enjoy it ?

I have had offers from UCL Southampton UEA and royal hollaway, was going to put ucl as firm for hisotry but now unsure
hahahahaha thats very true
Original post by wdkmwd
No one rates them to begin with mate.

i agree
Original post by Oliver_94
I wish I quit while I had the chance, the worst university ever I could think of. I recommend changing before it's too late

I applied to KCL to do pharmacy, instant rejection. LOL. RGU (in aberdeen) rejected my application for doing HND Chemistry and Biology, and a degree in pharmacy, I ended up getting a BSc in chemistry from said place (they shut down my course just as I was about to go to my honours year too! :angry:)
Why is UCL overrated? I've applied and most probably gonna firm... •.•
Original post by intelligent con
Cambridge seems massively overhyped to me, people seem to think going to cambridge will automatically land you a 100k a week job upon graduation

but it does..................
Original post by allaboutGTAV
but it does..................

Well if all you have is a Cambridge degree to your name and no form of experience or anything worthwhile in your CV, it's literally just a peice of paper

Latest

Trending

Trending