The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Someboady
Hey guys, what are vectors part c/d questions limited to? What I mean is...they always somehow manage to shock my system with their part c/d questions... Like prove three points are collinear... ok thats an easy example... but things like show that ABCD is a parallelogram etc... How am I supposed to prepare for every other eventuality? any tips?

Draw a diagram, making sure that everything that you found out in parts a - c are on the diagram. Don't try to show 3-D coordinates, just the relationship between the lines and angles.
Original post by flowerspace
Do people think the Solomon papers harder or easier or about the same as the actual past papers?

I'm working through them now done 3 C3 and 3 C4, I'm hoping to have done all 12 by the end of next week then go on to actual past papers which I have only done a few of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by imran_
Solomon papers are usually harder but depends on the individual. Have a go at IYGB papers, most of them are tough and are good practise

I hadn't heard of them so I'll try as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Do IYGB instead of Solomon press. Solomon papers are kinda meh in my opinion.

Remember that the Solomon papers were written before any of the actual C3 and C4 papers had happened, so they are based on guesswork (though he was pretty good at guessing what the papers might be like - I used to work with him). Compared with the early C papers, I would say that the Solomon C1 and C2 papers were harder than the actual ones, C3 was a bit harder and C4 were about right. There are however a few questions that are not on the Edexcel syllabus, e.g. the trigonometric factor formulae.

Now that there are 23 (I think) actual papers for C3 and for C4 plus the Edexcel produced Specimen and Mock papers plus the appropriate questions from the IAL C34 papers (which are written by the same people as the ordinary papers), I would make sure that you have worked through all of those, with enough time to work out what your problems were.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Remember that the Solomon papers were written before any of the actual C3 and C4 papers had happened, so they are based on guesswork (though he was pretty good at guessing what the papers might be like - I used to work with him). Compared with the early C papers, I would say that the Solomon C1 and C2 papers were harder than the actual ones, C3 was a bit harder and C4 were about right. There are however a few questions that are not on the Edexcel syllabus, e.g. the trigonometric factor formulae.

Now that there are 23 (I think) actual papers for C3 and for C4 plus the Edexcel produced Specimen and Mock papers plus the appropriate questions from the IAL C34 papers (which are written by the same people as the ordinary papers), I would make sure that you have worked through all of those, with enough time to work out what your problems were.

Ok thank you, I didn't know that, what are the IAL papers? All I knew about before where the actual past papers and Solomon ones haha everyone's been so helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thank you, I didn't know that, what are the IAL papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

International A level, run by Edexcel. They started having the qualification when Michael Gove decided that UK schools couldn't do January exams.
Is there an official thread for C3 I can't seem to find one.
I just scored 74/75 on my 7th paper = 100%, where 100% = 73/75. :yeah::yay: :woo: :woohoo:

I made 1 stupid mistake but other than that need to pick up speed and make my working
a bit more clearer. :smile:

Thanks for the advice/tip @Zacken , I've taken it on board and will be cautious if it holds on any further questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I just scored 74/75 on my 7th paper = 100%, where 100% = 73/75. :yeah::yay: :woo: :woohoo:

I made 1 stupid mistake but other than that need to pick up speed and make my working
a bit more clearer. :smile:

Thanks for the advice/tip @Zacken , I've taken it on board and will be cautious if it holds on any further questions.

Well done! Which paper was it in?
Reply 987
Original post by darkrep97
Is there an official thread for C3 I can't seem to find one.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3847081
Reply 988
Does anybody know if arsey will be doing an unofficial mark scheme this year??
Original post by dpoojaraa
Well done! Which paper was it in?

It was Edexcel C4 June 2014.

I'm going to do C4 June 2015, last year's past paper later on tonight.
My plan is to exhaust all the Edexcel IAL C3/4 papers from Jan 2012-Jan 2016
from now-late May. From there I'll be doing Madasmaths papers late May-mid/late June right before exams.

I'm slowing down the rate as which I'm doing C3/4 papers as it gets to the point where there isn't much return from doing past papers as its just repetitive + I have to juggle (M1+S1+S2) theory and past papers .*. perfecting my ability in them from now -> 1st May. :afraid::hide:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

My plan is to exhaust all the Edexcel IAL C3/4 papers from Jan 2012-Jan 2016
from now-late May.

IAL papers only start from January 2014, bud!

Good luck with the applied modules, they're quite simple so you won't have to worry too much.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
IAL papers only start from January 2014, bud!

Good luck with the applied modules, they're quite simple so you won't have to worry too much.

Oh, I guess it just means I'll start Madasmaths papers even earlier than I thought. :shock:

Thanks, I appreciate it. Its not the difficulty but making time in your day to juggle everything so that you finish on time, which is the real struggle.

Good luck with the grind aswell :work: :jumphug:
Reply 992
Hi, in some S2 questions, when writing out a Poisson distribution all they write in the mark scheme is "Po(8)". Why don't they write X-Po(8) ? Do they leave off the "X" for a reason ?
Original post by Danllo
Hi, in some S2 questions, when writing out a Poisson distribution all they write in the mark scheme is "Po(8)". Why don't they write X-Po(8) ? Do they leave off the "X" for a reason ?

They shouldn't.
Original post by Danllo

The mark scheme is just a guidance for markers, not a resource for students. You should not leave off the X otherwise it's incorrect
Reply 995
[QUOTE=aymanzayedmannan;63848923]The mark scheme is just a guidance for markers, not a resource for students. You should not leave off the X otherwise it's incorrect

Ah, I was wondering why they were doing that..
In the mark scheme for June 2014 for Q1 they leave the X off and in a few other papers.
Original post by boyyo
Does anybody know if arsey will be doing an unofficial mark scheme this year??

Only Arsey will know.

I've seen exams (not C4) where there hasn't been a mark scheme by someone like Arsey, but people on TSR have worked together to come up with one. :smile:

Are the factor formulae actually not on the syllabus? We learned it as part of C3 a while ago, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a question using it on past papers.
There are however a few questions that are not on the Edexcel syllabus, e.g. the trigonometric factor formulae.

Can this be tested on the IAL C34 spec?
Original post by Dohaeris
Are the factor formulae actually not on the syllabus? We learned it as part of C3 a while ago, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a question using it on past papers.

No. They got left in the formula book from a previous version, but they don't ever actually turn up on the Edexcel specification (although they are useful/needed later in life).

The C3 spec is here:
2. Trigonometry

Knowledge of secant, cosecant and cotangent and of arcsin, arccos and arctan. Their relationships to sine, cosine and tangent. Understanding of their graphs and appropriate restricted domains.
Angles measured in both degrees and radians.
Knowledge and use of sec2 = 1 + tan2 and cosec2 = 1 + cot2 .

Knowledge and use of double angle formulae; use of formulae for sin(A B), cos (A B) and tan (A B) and of expressions for a cos + b sin in the equivalent forms of r cos ( a) or r sin ( a).
To include application to half-angles. Knowledge of the t (tan ) formulae will not be required.

Candidates should be able to solve equations such as a cos + b sin = c in a given interval, and to prove simple identities such as cos x cos 2x + sin x sin 2x cos x.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending