The Student Room Group

Group 2 oxides with water

Am I right in thinking that the group 2 oxide reacts with water to form an alkaline solution of metal and hydroxide ions. When the solution becomes saturated, the metal ions and hydroxide ions form a metal hydroxide.

Is this right?

Does the metal hydroxide then dissolve again?
Reply 1
Group two elements react with water to form a metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas. Since its a hydroxide, you are right in saying that its an alkaline solution. Group 2 hydroxides are more alkaline down the group and reactivity down the group with water also increases as the first ionisation energy decreases.

A group 2 oxide would form water instead of hydrogen gas, and as for if it dissolves, I think it depends on is the metal hydroxide is a solid or aqeous as it could form a precipitate.
Reply 2
Original post by derpz
Group two elements react with water to form a metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas. Since its a hydroxide, you are right in saying that its an alkaline solution. Group 2 hydroxides are more alkaline down the group and reactivity down the group with water also increases as the first ionisation energy decreases.

A group 2 oxide would form water instead of hydrogen gas, and as for if it dissolves, I think it depends on is the metal hydroxide is a solid or aqeous as it could form a precipitate.

I really don't know. My textbook doesn't mention water forming with a group 2 oxide
Original post by SGHD26716
I really don't know. My textbook doesn't mention water forming with a group 2 oxide

Group 2 oxides form hydroxides when mixed with water. For CaO this process is known as 'slaking' and hence calcium hydroxide is referred to as slaked lime
Reply 4
Original post by SGHD26716

I havent been taught about Group 2 oxides reacting with water, just Gorup 2 elements so I kind of just thought of that on the spot
Reply 5
Original post by derpz
I havent been taught about Group 2 oxides reacting with water, just Gorup 2 elements so I kind of just thought of that on the spot

Don't worry. I think the simple answer is that a metal hydroxide forms

Quick Reply

Latest