The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm currently in the middle of all of this... I've only had my braces for about 8 months and my teeth have moved quite a lot. Was just wondering though, did anyone experience any neck pain with just having your teeth moved by the braces? My neck is so sore and I think it's directly related to this. Thanks.
Reply 561
Just in case anyone is intrested there is a group on facebook, called Jaw Surgey in the UK. Lots of helpful information and advise on there x
Reply 562
Hi ya,

I literally had surgery yesterday! On my bottom jaw. I'm 36 and have (had) a slight overbite. I nearly chickened out yesterday, but I can see the changes already! Yes I'm swollen, yes I'm hungry....but it's going going to be so nice to smile after all these years without feeling worried people are staring.
Hey, hoping someone can answer this question. When it comes to organising the date of surgery, how long do you typically have to wait? I've had my braces for over a year and a half now and are due to see the surgeon again fairly soon. I'm hoping and praying it can be done over the summer, but would this be too short notice?
Reply 564
3rd day pre-op....ouch....I'm yet to see the good from this I have to say. Feeling very sorry for myself.

You must push it, if you want it... all I remember is the dentist saying 'teeth have only one speed'...so annoying...they need to get the teeth to a certain stage, they were able to give me my appointment on the day I kicked off about waiting 2 and half years for surgery! Lots of preparation needed. I can advise you on what you need.
Reply 565
Original post by ClockEnd
Hey, hoping someone can answer this question. When it comes to organising the date of surgery, how long do you typically have to wait? I've had my braces for over a year and a half now and are due to see the surgeon again fairly soon. I'm hoping and praying it can be done over the summer, but would this be too short notice?

I had my final joint clinic in March and my surgery is scheduled for October ( no exact date as yet). I suppose it depends on waiting lists in your area, but just to give you an idea. I will have had braces for 18 months by then. Although my teeth are ready now :smile: x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 566
Original post by Claz36
3rd day pre-op....ouch....I'm yet to see the good from this I have to say. Feeling very sorry for myself.

You must push it, if you want it... all I remember is the dentist saying 'teeth have only one speed'...so annoying...they need to get the teeth to a certain stage, they were able to give me my appointment on the day I kicked off about waiting 2 and half years for surgery! Lots of preparation needed. I can advise you on what you need.

Glad your on the other side now. Wishing you a speedy recovery. It will all be worth it in the end. Such short term discomfort, for a lifetime with a fabulous new smile ( that's how I'm looking at it :smile: ) x
Hi guys,

I have an underbite but it's not severe to the point that people notice so I'm a bit unsure whether or not I should take the jaw surgery but my orthodontist seems to already have it planned. 17 atm and once I turn 18 he'll refer me to a surgeon.
Since I'm quite a special case (not just my underbite, but my teeth), I've had a team of doctors and junior doctors come and observe me. A team of 9 doctors- 8 of them suggest I should just remove my lower back teeth and move my lower jaw back with braces but one suggested I go through jaw surgery since I can get guaranteed results and will look prettier.

I think my orthodontist wants me to go through jaw surgery. I have braces on for the second time now and I wasn't informed that I would be getting braces before that appointment which he put braces on me -_-

If I go with braces, just wondering if it can fix my skeletal issues as much as the jaw surgery can?

And if I go through jaw surgery, can I ask for a jaw shave? I hate the contour of my face. I've got quite an angular jaw and I reckon if I get it shaved I can look more feminine rather than manly. I've always been conscious of the size of my chin too- it's about the same length as my forehead. But I'm not sure if it can be/look shorter with just my lower jaw going back.
Reply 568
Hello,
I'm scheduled for my 1st appointment at the hospital on Monday, to see the surgeon, I've had my braces off since November, I have a seriously bad over bite and have been told I'll have my top and bottom jaw broken, does anyone know how long I should roughly be getting the treatment after this appointment? And what's the likely hood of my having my braces put back on? As I would ideally like this to be finished before I start uni in September, but I know my chances are slim, I'm meant to me having my surgery and the George Elliot in Nuneaton, any advice is helpful, worried about the timings ☺️
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 569
Hi, I am read your post and that is exactly the same as my situation!! I know your post is slightly old so just wondering what you decided to do in the end?
Original post by Bloody Stupid
Hi guys,

I have an underbite but it's not severe to the point that people notice so I'm a bit unsure whether or not I should take the jaw surgery but my orthodontist seems to already have it planned. 17 atm and once I turn 18 he'll refer me to a surgeon.
Since I'm quite a special case (not just my underbite, but my teeth), I've had a team of doctors and junior doctors come and observe me. A team of 9 doctors- 8 of them suggest I should just remove my lower back teeth and move my lower jaw back with braces but one suggested I go through jaw surgery since I can get guaranteed results and will look prettier.

I think my orthodontist wants me to go through jaw surgery. I have braces on for the second time now and I wasn't informed that I would be getting braces before that appointment which he put braces on me -_-

If I go with braces, just wondering if it can fix my skeletal issues as much as the jaw surgery can?

And if I go through jaw surgery, can I ask for a jaw shave? I hate the contour of my face. I've got quite an angular jaw and I reckon if I get it shaved I can look more feminine rather than manly. I've always been conscious of the size of my chin too- it's about the same length as my forehead. But I'm not sure if it can be/look shorter with just my lower jaw going back.

Nope. As for the jaw shave, I'm assuming you mean a genioplasty? I don't think you get to decide what you wanna do it's all up to your surgeon
Reply 571
This is an old thread however if anyone is approaching their surgery date and has any questions I am happy to chat.

I am currently a week post-op after having double jaw surgery to correct an underbite ☺️
Original post by kisaki
This is an old thread however if anyone is approaching their surgery date and has any questions I am happy to chat.

I am currently a week post-op after having double jaw surgery to correct an underbite ☺️

Heya had my jaw surgery thursday. How are you on the recovery ? Whats your biggest issue?
I am finding my throat is like so gross flemy and mucusy. Don't know what to do :frown: Also having such a problem with like feeling nauseas all the time bleh
Reply 573
Original post by PensAndPaper
Heya had my jaw surgery thursday. How are you on the recovery ? Whats your biggest issue?
I am finding my throat is like so gross flemy and mucusy. Don't know what to do :frown: Also having such a problem with like feeling nauseas all the time bleh

Hi! I am now almost 3 weeks post op and I feel great! I'm not having any problems or discomfort anymore. I'm still on a liquid diet as I'm banded and there is still swelling, but I'm feeling fine. It gets better quicker than you think!

I had the flemy issue too! It really helps if you rinse with some very salty water multiple times as this breaks it down. Try and gargle if you can but you might not be ready for this yet. 2-3 rinses 3 times a day should do the trick. Do this as well as the mouthwash they give you, not instead of.
Also, are you drinking a lot of milk based stuff? I found the more milk I had the worse it was... Also keep very hydrated, that will thin it too. For the first 2 weeks I was drinking almost 4 litres a day!! But I did loose a lot of blood and get quite poorly.

I didn't get nausea but I would say it's probably the anaesthetic, nausea is a really common side effect and can last a while, I'd ask your surgeon about this one.
Hi,I'm now 8 days post op for surgery for an underbite. I had braces since I was 15 (I'm now 19), when I first got braces I was borderline needing surgery as it may have been able to have been sorted with braces alone but I opted for surgery as I wanted to completely perfect my bite. I was due to have double jaw surgery but once I was in theatre my surgeon decided that it could be done by just moving my upper jaw forward 6mm. By just having one jaw operated on my recovery is a lot quicker. The day after op I was able to eat porridge, yogurt etc and I also didn't need elastics or anything straight away. Also as only my upper jaw was operated on I found t pretty easy to speak so I haven't had it bad at all compared to some people's experiences that I've read.I've experienced minimal pain and only took codeine twice a day for the first couple of days and then just took it before I went to sleep up to the 1 week mark. As for swelling, the worst peaked around day 3/4 and I am now seeing it go down more and more everyday. I'm still pretty swollen round my nose and cheeks and it is these areas which are numb, but this doesn't bother me too much. As for food, I'm on a soft food diet and I've been eating mash potato, soft pasta, porridge etc. Not being able to eat proper food is such a pain as I've been craving pizza😭 I had elastic bands put on 6 days post op but they haven't bothered me too much!If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!
Hi i had my surgery on July the 21st. My surgeon has not been very helpful in answering my questions and keeping me at ease, so hoping someone here can help.So around my two week mark i got an infection. I all of a sudden had increased swelling on my right cheek and soon after had discharge coming out of an incision. And then some come out my nose... I know yuck >:frown: :frown:My question is does anyone i know a rough estimate of if you get an infection what are the chances on you having to get hardware removed.Has anyone been through the surgery got an infection and it been a one off? Please help its driving me nuts :frown:Modify message
Reply 576
Original post by PensAndPaper
Hi i had my surgery on July the 21st. My surgeon has not been very helpful in answering my questions and keeping me at ease, so hoping someone here can help.So around my two week mark i got an infection. I all of a sudden had increased swelling on my right cheek and soon after had discharge coming out of an incision. And then some come out my nose... I know yuck >:frown: :frown:My question is does anyone i know a rough estimate of if you get an infection what are the chances on you having to get hardware removed.Has anyone been through the surgery got an infection and it been a one off? Please help its driving me nuts :frown:Modify message

I've not had an infection myself but I have discussed this with my surgeon in the past. As far as I'm aware as long as your infection clears up ect you should not have to have your plates removed. However if your plates keep becoming infected and causing issues then they will be removed.
So keep taking your antibiotics, keep your mouth clean as you can and drink tons of water to promote recovery. I'm sure your infection will clear up and it's unlikely your plates will be removed !

I have a lump under one of my plates but as it has healed above the plate and there's no sign of discharge / infection yet my surgeon is seeing how it goes for now. He says it should go down on its own without the need for removal so hopefully :frown:
Original post by Kelseycharlish
Hi,I'm now 8 days post op for surgery for an underbite. I had braces since I was 15 (I'm now 19), when I first got braces I was borderline needing surgery as it may have been able to have been sorted with braces alone but I opted for surgery as I wanted to completely perfect my bite. I was due to have double jaw surgery but once I was in theatre my surgeon decided that it could be done by just moving my upper jaw forward 6mm. By just having one jaw operated on my recovery is a lot quicker. The day after op I was able to eat porridge, yogurt etc and I also didn't need elastics or anything straight away. Also as only my upper jaw was operated on I found t pretty easy to speak so I haven't had it bad at all compared to some people's experiences that I've read.I've experienced minimal pain and only took codeine twice a day for the first couple of days and then just took it before I went to sleep up to the 1 week mark. As for swelling, the worst peaked around day 3/4 and I am now seeing it go down more and more everyday. I'm still pretty swollen round my nose and cheeks and it is these areas which are numb, but this doesn't bother me too much. As for food, I'm on a soft food diet and I've been eating mash potato, soft pasta, porridge etc. Not being able to eat proper food is such a pain as I've been craving pizza😭 I had elastic bands put on 6 days post op but they haven't bothered me too much!If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!

how emotional has this experience been for you?
Original post by xlynzx
Hi :smile:

About 4 years ago I had an appointment with an NHS orthodontist to find out if they could do anything about my overbite (I had to actually say to my dentist about it, I've had it forever but he never talked about fixing it). After impressions, measurements and x-rays, the orthodontist told me I actually had an underdeveloped lower jaw that could be corrected with surgery along with braces to fix my overbite. I was quite shocked and totally chickened out at the thought of surgery so nothing was done. However, I have totally regretted not going ahead with it. I am now 20 and at uni and feel totally self-conscious about my smile and overall jaw appearnce so I'm planning on mentioning it to my dentist again at my next check-up next month.
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of the procedure - braces and operation. I have read loads of stuff on the internet recently about the swelling and recovery (the liquid diet is totally putting me off). I've mentioned it to my mum but she doesn't think its a good idea - especially as it would all be done whilst I was studying for my degree but I feel self-confidence would be greatly improved along with not getting as many headaches due to my jaw.
Does anyone know what the general timeline would be for treatment and if it would be even possible with the budget cuts and other stuff happening in the NHS now? I just wanted to talk to someone about it all because its all I've been thinking about recently.

Hay I had I done It's fine the first few days afterwards are hard as you are coming of the Morphene and anstetic but the Liquid diat is onley 2 weeks and in that time the are some really nice sups you can get hold of ( just get your mum to
liquise tem befor you drink them (what they have bit's in).your energy will be a
littel low too (i did not have the energy for the compuer when i had mine done) i had mine done just befor my brother graduated you will need help for a few
things while recovering. if i were you I would find out how long te pre op is (this is how long you will need braces for befor the opration). you will find afterwards (even now & i am recoverd) you will be abel to feel in your face weather it is
going to rain or not also i used to get really bad sinuses heakes on aircraft and it fixed that right up too.
Hello all, in a few weeks time I am due an appointment with the orthodontist to discuss my underbite and a possible realignment of the jaw. I would like to know, how long the procedure takes, bearing in mind I have worn braces before and since taking them off a few years back my teeth have only moved slightly. Preferably I'd like to have the procedure done before I go university in September. Also I am insured on private health care so would they be quicker with the process? Finally, how much would the cost be, I am currently 18 years of age and will turn 19 in june.

Latest