The Student Room Group

Scary thought about flying - someone could open door mid air?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TianaEsther
I hope to never be in a plane crash then, doesn't seem like my idea of fun :frown: 😓

It would certainly put a dampener on your holiday. :yep:
Convertible aeroplane
Where are you flying and which airline? :hmmm:
Original post by jneill
It would certainly put a dampener on your holiday. :yep:

Haha you can say that again!
I'd be more worried about the toilet blowing everything up instead of sucking it down while you're using it.:smile:

Statistically you're far more likely to die while making your journey to the airport. Also most crashes occur during take-off and landing.
Reply 65
What about when you go on a plane and then at the beginning they tell you that the exits are *there, there & there* and they point to different places. I thought they were for leaving the plane, is there really a point evacuating once the plane has already crashed (in the middle of the ocean or perhaps even some random deserted place:s-smilie:)

Yeah, that's so you can get off the plane at the end of the flight - why do you think they tell you about the brace positions?

Original post by jneill
Indeed.

It's not the falling that kills you. It's hitting the ground that does that :wink:

Or, as Douglas Adams almost said: Flying is throwing yourself at the ground, and missing.

Indeed, you don't need a parachute to jump out of a plane; it just helps you do it again
Reply 66
I hope to never be in a plane crash then, doesn't seem like my idea of fun :frown: 😓

It is still the safest form of travel
Original post by Andy98
Wouldn't happen - you'd have to be a bodybuilder to open those things mid-flight.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Then you're screwed, but unless it's e.g. a private jet or somet, this is fairly impossible as most commercial airliners doors open inward and the internal air pressure thus renders them fairly immovable :u: Seems this poor silly soul didn't get the memo :mmm:Not sure a seatbelt would help much in a case of sudden decompression at cruising altitude :erm:
Yerp seatbelts do help.
*This might be a really stupid question so pardon me*If the cabin pressure prevents the doors from opening in high altitudes, how can people jump out of planes (in the case of an accident or something, or even perhaps people who do skydiving)?
Original post by jneill
Those doors open outwards, not inwards. And skydiving is rarely from higher than 14,000ft - so pressure drop is not so extreme.
Original post by M14B
I think it is impossible to open these doors when in flight.
Original post by jamesthehustler
it's impossible to doand you don't wear a seat belt except during take-off and landing
Original post by jneill
The pressure equalises when on the ground and the door can then be opened.And then this can happen:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3511283/China-Southern-Airlines-passenger-opens-emergency-exit.html(apologies for Daily Mail linkage.)
Original post by jneill
Cabin pressure prevents it from opening even if unlocked.
Original post by mscaffrey
Scary thought about going to the toilet - you could get sucked down it.
Original post by EricPiphany
So how is it opened?
It isnt only the air pressure that prevents it from opening. If that was the case, a wacko might haave been able to open it at a low altitude when the pressure inside was't that great. Commercial passenger jets are designed in a way that makes it impossible to open the doors when the aircraft is off the ground. This post is the correct explanation for it:

Original post by threeportdrift
They can't open.There is a 'weight on wheels' circuit breaker in most aircraft, so unless there is an aircraft's worth of weight on the undercarriage, the whole door function is inoperative, unless you pop the circuit breaker, which is on the flight deck.
For those that say that aircraft toilets could suck them out, it is not possible too as pressure is just enough to suck away whatever is in the bowl and not above it :unimpressed:

@threeportdrift are you studying/are an aeronautical engineer?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hamoody

@threeportdrift are you studying/are an aeronautical engineer?

Nope, I've got 2,500 hours operating an aircraft with a very ropey pressurisation system and the occasional need to operate depressurised at height :wink:
Original post by Andy98
It is still the safest form of travel

That's true, but I watched way too many documentaries as a child which scared the hell out of me.
Original post by threeportdrift
Nope, I've got 2,500 hours operating an aircraft with a very ropey pressurisation system and the occasional need to operate depressurised at height :wink:

Ah I see. Nice to meet ya, I'm a crazy aviation geek :lol:
Reply 71
That's true, but I watched way too many documentaries as a child which scared the hell out of me.

Well the thing is, the technology has advanced a lot since those documentaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Well the thing is, the technology has advanced a lot since those documentaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

Touché :tongue:
Reply 73

Quick Reply

Latest